Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AMA loose on the AKA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxVZIip919I&feature=plcp[/youtube]

When the AKA and AMA's are out the front connection is loose. Is there a way to adjust the tightness, or do I need to add another bungie to it. Thanks

Post subject: Re: AMA loose on the AKA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don, you can take it back to your dealer to sort out. If that isn't convenient, you could unscrew the fittings with needle nose pliers. The bungee is simply knotted, so it should be easy enough to shorten the bungee.

Regards,
Oatesy.

p.s. I did it simply to instal tabs on the bungees to make them easier to put on the aka.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is a lot of info on here about that with several ways to fix that. Me, I just took out the screw in bungee retaining caps, tied in a shorter bungee, and so far it's working.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks I will try to remove them and tighten it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RiverSailor702:
I have the same problem of loose bungies on my TI, even after I tightened them up, they still rattle and make alot of noice when sailing. Another problem I have is I have sheered several nylon sheer bolts on the AMA's while sailing in extreme conditions.
To kill two birds with one stone I have a length of 1/4 inch stretchy nylon rope clipped to the center metal eyelett on the left AMA, then around the front of the front AKA brace, then over to the right center eyelett (attached with clips). This prevents the AMA's from folding back when the sheer bolt breaks, until you regain control, and make repairs. An added benefit is it totally stops the AMA's from rattleing and making lots of noise while underway.
Just a suggestion.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob, your solution to this problem is interesting. Whenever you get a chance, could you post a picture of this setup? It seems your solution could also prevent the akas from disconnecting from the aka knuckles. Is this correct?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mkrawats :
No problem below is a pic of the rope, I have quick connects on each end and just stap it on before going out. The rope goes around the front rightmost AKA support, then back behind the AKA to the other side, then back around the front of the left brace, this keeps the rope from tangling up in the sail reef system.

Yes this does prevent the AKA's from coming out. Which brings up a funny story. My first TI was one of the earliest models and the AKA latch system was, lets say not so good at the time (it fell out easily). I had my wife and her sister one on each tramp sailing along at a pretty good clip. The front AKA came out and dumped my wifes sister into the water. The look of dire helplessness on her face still makes us laugh. She was in no danger, the water was 85 degrees and we were close to shore in shallow water, and I got the boat stopped and repaired quickly. She to this day will still not go out with us (funny story). That was when I made this rope gizmo and always use it when expecting rougher water or nearing other boats or docks. I have sheered off at least 4 or 5 of those 1/4 inch sheer bolts in really rough seas, and the rope prevents the AMA from folding in until I can stop and make repairs. When removing the AMA's I just snap the clips to something inside the boat, or shove the loose end into the mesh pocket and leave the rope attached to the boat all the time. Pretty simple insurance, plus it stops any rattleing of the AMA's when underway (that rattling used to drive me nuts).
You want to make sure to use 3/16 or 1/4 inch nylon stretchy rope, we don't want anything else breaking in the event of a dock collision (broke a few sheer bolts there too).

Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hit a dock the other day and snapped my first nylon bolt. Fortunately the line holding my spray skirts out did a similar job, but yours is better because I reckon it would also go a long way to preventing the rear akas from coming out of their sockets as well,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Bob. The photo and explanation are appreciated. I appreciate solutions like yours that can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

FYI, I sheared a nylon aka pin this winter simply sailing 12 knots on a broad reach in the ocean. I didn't hit anything (except the waves). It was scary going from 12 knots to 0 in an instant and almost capsizing. My heart stopped. I was glad that I was wearing my harness.