Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The plans were different that day, but my friend found impossible to launch his MAGNUM TRI. There´s only a couple of places to do it in the island. Not only that, plenty of beurocracy around previously... on the other hand our TI/AI can do it nearly all around the island... There was a party that day in the area: a Saint is brought back to the Temple where it belongs to. It does it by boat, suronded by other boats. It is a party day in the south of Gran Canaria. I sailed alone and went all around enjoying until my friend, who manage to sail in a sailing boat, found me. Then We went to the beach to meet the rest of our families. Children did enjoy soooo much!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_6_AkzsxOA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video; everyone looked like they had a great time! :D Bob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love it! Great "feel good" video! Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice! Sooner or later I will sail around in the Canaries on a Hobie Island. Hope to see you then!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Me gusta! Puedo practicar leyendo espanol tambien!!!

Actually I might have written that wrong...lol...but you know what I mean :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

cavendish62, Video is very well done. Lot of very great shots all through the video. The Tri looks great in that water. Thanks for sharing.

I was out yesterday with plans of sailing but wind died with the sunrise, but did meet some new friends.

Larry

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPdBbnbFoc&feature=plcp[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks very much for your comments. We had a great time!
Hobie Crafte wrote:
Very nice! Sooner or later I will sail around in the Canaries on a Hobie Island. Hope to see you then!

no doubt! keep in touch. We´ll sail around!
evil_e wrote:
Me gusta! Puedo practicar leyendo espanol tambien!!!

good spanish! gracias
larryhts wrote:
I was out yesterday with plans of sailing but wind died with the sunrise, but did meet some new friends.

Really nice! apart from a very good comfortable looking of your island boat, new friends surronding you looks great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cavendish,

I watched your YouTube videos and it helped convince me to get a TI. I actually sold a 23 foot sailboat to do so. My wife thought I was crazy to get rid of a 'real' sailboat for a 'kayak'. It was not an easy decision but I'm glad I did. Although the sailboat was paid for...I still paid approximately $2600 a year for slip fees and maintenance. I live in Tampa and also like to kayak fish in the flats. Well, the sailboat is definitely not ideal for fishing. Also, my sailing grounds were Tampa bay only...as it would take 6 hours just to sail to the gulf! With the TI the advantages are:

-boat, trailex trailer, and tramps were not cheap...but in less than 3 years time the cost of the wetslip and maintenance alone make up for the cost! (note: I got enough from my sailboat to pay for the TI, trailer and tramps. Therefore, I save $2600 a year)

-I keep the trailer and TI in my standard size garage....at no cost! I will tell you that this reduces maintenance substantially. I was spending a large amount of time working on the sailboat...even during periods when I was not sailing much

-when I need to work on the boat I don't have to drive to the marina...I'm at my house. If I don't get the TI out for several weeks...no worries...and virtually no maintenance

- after using the TI, simply spray off everything...and spray a little McLube on the drives....DONE...in less than 10 minutes! I spent 30 minutes with the sailboat at a minimum.

-Most importantly...my sailing grounds and use of the TI are much greater. I tow my TI behind my Accord with no problem. I can sail in the beautiful gulf waters one day....fishing on the bay the next...or sail the numerous freshwater lakes!

-the TI is much faster than my previous monohull sailboat. 7.2 kts was the max in 6 years with that boat. Second time out with the TI...8.4 kts.

-My wife 'liked' the ideal of the big boat to take out visiting guests. I couldn't comprehend the cost, maintenance, and my time to do this just a few times a year. Besides, like most wives...she was a 'deck princess' but was always unavailable when it came time to work on the boat! I race as crew at several yacht clubs and have friends with 'big' boats. I'm happy to get my big boat sailing fix on OPB (other people's boats)...much cheaper. Also, most of our guests (at least the guys) are quite happy on the TI sailing and fishing.

-when we get FL hurricanes...I don't have to worry or take time to secure the boat...take off sails...worry about storm surge...then get the boat back together. My TI is safe in my garage..my house has to go first!

-VERSATILITY! I take the boat out fishing. When the wind is up and the fishing sucks...I sail. I then go up into a shallow secluded cove...through out a small anchor, crack open a cold beer, then take a nap on the tramps!

There is much more...but suffice it to say that I'm happy with the TI.

MikeSail

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That pretty well sums it up.

I was out last weekend and another "sailor" was asking about my TI and the Mirage Drive. He said he could see where that would make certain aspects of sailing easier or less troublesome and for that reason the TI wasn't a real sailboat. I asked him not to turn me in to the sailboat police so I could continue enjoying the boat's tremendous versatility.

I haven't been arrested nor kicked off the water, yet, so I'm guessing he decided to keep his mouth shut about my "cheating."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How good was that. Great video Cav.

7 on a TI has got to be a world record hasn't it ?

Thanks for sharing.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.