Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I switched to a Zhik life jacket (okay, buoyancy aid) and won't go back. It's the least obtrusive thing I've worn.

I have both a Hobie dry top and a Zhik dry top. Both keep me dry. For the money the Hobie top is plenty good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you guys wear spray jackets under your PFD or over it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

RacerBoyMatthew wrote:
Do you guys wear spray jackets under your PFD or over it?
PFD goes on last - unless you want to wear a rashie over everything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grateful for the post, as I sail in WI and would like to extend my season into October. However, I am unfamiliar with the products you are describing here, so if you could please get real basic (I'm just a girl, after all!), I'd appreciate it!

I am asking Santa for what I think would be a "dry suit". That is, I need to be able to walk the boat out and be able to handle a capsize... so I think dry suit would be the correct item? If not, could you please clarify for me. I'm assuming I'd need feets, too. And it would absolutely have to have "trap door" facilities in the design!

And what should I look for quality wise... apologies for the ignorance, but the Santa I deal with has no knowledge of this stuff, either, so I'd have to be VERY specific! I believe in spending for good quality, but I don't want to waste $$ to pay for a logo.

Hope all this makes sense! I'm hoping for one more go around the lake this weekend...

NetraLee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sail till it snows! http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1174

Kokatat is spendy stuff but it carries basicaly a lifetime warranty and their company support is TOP NOTCH.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Sail till it snows! http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1174

Kokatat is spendy stuff but it carries basicaly a lifetime warranty and their company support is TOP NOTCH.

I totally agree that a Kokatat dry suit is the best thing you can buy. If the cost scares you, as it did me, there are other options. I have a system of clothes that costs well under 400 dollars that allows me to sail comfortably, and safely into October in Canada, even on the Great Lakes. The benefit to having a variety of pieces is that you can use those pieces year round.

A dry suit doesn't have to be your starting point, there are inexpensive ways to extend the season.

But if you can swing the cost, yes, absolutely, go for it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed...I used to white water kayak in VERY cold water and weather using a wetsuit and splash gear. Once you have worn a drysuit you will not want to go back to a wetsuit though!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so much for the info.. The price for quality does not frighten me.

If you dump whilst wearing such gear, is it a big hindrance? That is, can you still function and get going again? Or are you a big floaty walrus in the water - warm and dry, but sort of floppy and helpless.

Also, if I were to "start slow", say and seek a few pieces for some not-dangerous-cold sailing, any brands to seek and/or avoid? I thought perhaps I'd get a jacket and britches and booties, for water that would be uncomfortable but not lethal.

My concern is that I would be the only boat on the water - and there would be no one to help me if I get in trouble. I would have to be able to have the time and functionality to get righted again or be able to wait for assistance from park rangers.

I'm so glad I got going again... it never went away, but now I've got water between the hulls once more and it's ... delightful. Already missing summer.

NetraLee
et Bitty Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drysuits are awesome in the water. When I first put mine on I go into the water and drop down to almost my neck seal, then crack the seal and let the air out. Then next time you end up in the drink no ballooning. :lol:
They are as warm as what you wear under them.

I learned kayaking to dress for the swim. If I get hot out of the water I just jump in and float around for a bit.