Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am installing new pocket protectors and want to know if I can use a standard riveter for 1/8 - 3/8" OR do I need a special tool. Thanks, Sandra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm going through the same issue on my H18 mainsail. Four of the crappy Hobie pocket protectors have cracked apart (the old style protectors never broke).

Anyway, you need a special tool to install the rivets that come with the pocket protector kit. I'm going to use #8-32 screws with nuts and washers instead. The heads of the screws will fit into the recesses in the pocket protectors.

Kind of irritating that replacing a couple pieces of cheap plastic is going to cost me over $50 and probably at least an hour. Why Hobie ever went away from the old design is beyond me...as my old man always says "if it ain't broke, dont' fix it."

Rant over.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rivet in the Wave type pocket protector needs a special rivet press/tool. The parts manual, I think, says this. Download the pdf parts listing to see. You may have to go to the Hobie dealer or a sail maker and get them to do it since they have the correct rivet press.

The other option is to use the other type Hobie pocket protector which has the screws if no one local can help. I had to. Unfortunately I had to punch new holes in the sail since the all holes won't line up. But, I could use some of the old holes and the others were covered by the new protector. It didn't appear to weaken the sail fabric. It has worked out ok.

I have an industrial type hole punch called a Whitley punch (google "Whitney punch") that I have from work to punch the holes. Something simpler would work. Like a awl and a block of wood. This is just one route, maybe not ideal but it all still seems strong and I can now replace the protector is it cracks again by just removing screws. Proceed at your own risk with this route...