Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ratrig Hobies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A couple years back I was launching my Hobie 16 when a family pulled up with a newer Hobie 16 that was obviously rarely used. Of course we started up a conversation when the father made a comment that mine looked pretty beat-up. I didn't take exception to his comment since mine clearly showed the marks of consistent use, abuse and somewhat poor funding. Still, it wore on me and I eventually decided to pretty the poor girl up. That was over four years ago, multiple repairs both large and small, and many, many hours on the water. The ravages of my field-expedient repairs (that somehow became permanent), beach rash, and my inability to justify new parts have brought her back to the sorry, but functional state she's currently in. She's a work-horse among Hobies and is probably the most used catamaran in my bay.

Still, I adore her. When she has let me down, in the very least I been left with a cool story to regail anyone who's got the stomach to listen.

My request of everyone is to post pictures of the most used, abused and ugly Hobies out there. Let's show some pride for those who have served us well, but have the face only a mother can love.

Who's up first?

Post subject: Re: Ratrig Hobies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll go first. It doesn't get used as much as I like, but it probably qualifies under your catagory. It is a '79, mostly original, looks a little rough, but provides lots of enjoyment and still gets sailed fairly regularily.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be next, had it sailin a few months back. But, as it sits, I just sold this for $75.00 to be used as a floating dock.Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This photo does not properly detail all my Hobie's shortcomings. You can see the various crude sail repairs I've done with a Singer sewing machine at the kitchen table.

Details that you can't see from this distance include the length of galvanized chain that replaced the lost front stay adjuster, missing battons, lashed-up hiking rig, fraying lines, deteriorating tramp, home-made hotstick....the list goes on and on.

The flames on the hulls, if that is what you can call them, I painted on a whim. On completion, I also realize I'm not a skilled artist.

BTW, my family has taken to calling me "El Blainio." It is derived from the fact that whenever the weather gets dicey, I can be found out in the storm searching for the best wind. On this particular day, you can see I managed to find more wind than my sail could handle and ripped the main's top panel. It was a good day of sailing until that happened.