Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: setup/teardown Hobie 16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my 16 for about 2 years now and I still do not have a good routine for setting the boat up, and tearing it down for towing. It can take about an hour for each. I would like to know if there is a good procedure out there for setup, but most importantly, teardown so it is easier or more methodical to set up the next time. I sail about 5 times a year so having a set routine would make it easier. I have NEVER set up or taken down the boat the same way. Video links would be awesome. But a manual would be great too if it exists. More than anything, I think my wife would appreciate it, and maybe we would go sail more often.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where do you seem to be losing most of your time? Stepping the mast? Hoisting the sails and setting the main halyard?

My process for tearing down the boat:

1) Lock the rudders up with a 2 ball bungees around the tiller crossbar and the rear beam.
-I keep the ball bungees on the boat all the time. When sailing I just run the bungees through the rear tramp grommets. That way they are always there when you need them.

2) Detach the tiller extension
-this step is much faster if you put a quick pin in like this:

3) Bring down the jib
-I have a quick pin at the tack of the sail to make it quick to detach from the chain plate

4) Bring down the main
-main blocks attach to the traveler with a quick pin as well

5) Fold both sails and put in sail box
-I keep the main blocks attached to the boom and the boom attached to the mainsail

6) Push boat up onto trailer and secure
-Search on the forum for ways to secure your boat easily and securely

7) Unclip trapeze wire bungees

8 ) Bungee the trapeze wires with ball bungee to the base of the mast so that they are flush against the length of the mast

9) Pin mast

10) Drop the mast
-While pushing foreward on the mast, have an assistant unclip/unpin the front forestay from the chainplate. I have a clip on the end of mine which makes it easy to attach/detach.
-Bring it down slowly and don't let anyone stand directly under it until you have it under control.

11) Push the mast forward on the trailer and bungee it to the trailer mast crutch and the rear crossbeam

12) Your shrouds should still be attached and laying over the boat. Now, pull the shrouds forward and bungee the slack out of the shrouds to the mast crutch.

13) Drive away

To set up the boat, just do the opposite. I can tear down the boat in probably 15 minutes and set up the boat in 20 with someone else that knows what they are doing. There are probably other shortcuts but these are the things that I do.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sgoldstrohm - Sailing about 5 times/year; about an hour set-up and tear down....don't feel bad. There's a lot that needs to be done and it doesn't have to be done in any particular sequence. The best way to increase your speed is to just go sailing more often. Otherwise, it's not a race and don't let anyone rush you into going faster. Double check the really important things and always stay within your comfort zone.
Since you sail so infrequently, you might want to make a list of all that needs to be done - a check list. I believe pilots do it.
Keep it safe and have fun!
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I apologize if my explanation was a little too detailed but I'm an engineer so I like to have a set plan and I follow it exactly every time. Practice is the key though. I found that the more I did it the better understanding I had of the boat so I just instinctively knew what order to do things. For some things it doesn't matter what order you do it and for other things it does.

One little thing that you want to to in the correct order is to raise the main first before the jib and vice versa when you are lowering. This keeps the jib clew from smacking you in the back of the head while you are standing under it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My procedure has been:
- strap the tillers to the hulls to lock the rudders up
- drop the main, un-pin the mainsheet blocks and unreeve the traveler. I hook the main halyard head shackle under the guide for the luff track and tie the halyard off.
- drop the jib and remove it. Tie the jib halyard off on the mast like the main.
- roll the jib, stick it into the main and roll the main with the mainsheet and blocks.
- pull the boat onto the trailer and tie down.
- slide the trap shockcords forward of the shrouds
- pin and drop the mast, slide it forward and strap down with the sails. Hook the jib sheets to the bridle.
- tame the shrouds and trap wires somehow. Often I coil them and weave the coil through the tramp lacing.

20~30 minutes with a helper.

Imminent improvements include:
- box for sails and hiking stick
- liberal use of velcro straps and ball bungees for controlling shrouds and halyards
- rear mast cradle (fiberglass Hobie accessory)

This will reduce the time spent managing the shrouds/traps and the time spent tying down the mast and sails. Those are big time-killers as I have not had a good, consistent way to do it and therefore re-invent it each time.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Zach nailed it.

Invest in quick pins and quick/snap shackles wherever possible. It's a huge time saver.

I use them for...
Forestay
Downhaul
top and bottom of main blocks
jib clew
Jib halyard
tiller

Use a plastic clip to connect the shock cord to the trapeze.

To trailer the mast, I pull the wires & halyards to the bottom of the mast and wrap an old shock cord from the Mast tang to the bottom. Leave about 10-12" between wraps. Use the shock cord from the trapeze to secure all the loose wires at the bottom. It's easy and quick. If I'm going a long way I use a 4' section of 1" PVC pipe off the end of the mast to keep the chain plates from dangling. The shockcord holds it in place.

100% agree with the check list. Do it exactly the same way EVERY time. Don't get in a hurry and forget the mast pin, drain plugs or some other equally important part.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great guys! I appreciate the help. I like the ideas for the halyards. My biggest problem has been managing, storing, and untangling all the cables. I spend a lot of time getting the halyards untwisted from the shrouds, and that means that I am not storing them properly when I take the mast down. I have learned a lot though. The first two times I tried to raise the mast, I had lower it again to get the end of the main halyard at the top of the mast. But I agree most of all about the experienced (or at least patient) help. Simple ideas make a lot of sense. I can't wait to get some small bungees and velcro straps.