Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all ,
I currently own a hobie outback and have been fishing the last two years. I live in Dublin, Ireland and fish all over the island . The question I ask, is the pro angler 12 a stable kayak and would it be as stable as an outback ? On average the swell on the east coast would be 3ft and up to 7ft on the west coast. Would the pa 12 be able to handle these conditions. Thanks for your time
Anthony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Holy god those are huge swells. I live in Florida where if I see swells bigger than 1'-2' I start to get nervous. I've always heard that PA's were built mostly for lakes and calmer waters - maybe someone else can chime in here.
I'd think something speedy and nimble like the revolution would make for a fantastic offshore kayak though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey there,
I live in Tasmania and ocean swells can reach 4-10 m. (12-30 feet)
The size of swell is not all that important unless they are breaking :D
That usually only happens in in open water with severe wind/storm situations, in which case you don't want to be there :oops:
Are you talking about wave breaks on the beach whilst launching and landing ?
If so, I'd make sure you have your rods etc very securely lashed down :D :D
Most fishing kayaks will struggle with larger waves.
The PA12 is incredibly stable, way more than an Outback, but I avoid waves as it's not actually designed to surf :D
I don't have a problem with waves breaking occaisionally on the PA.
I also have a PA14. I prefer the 12 as it's easier/lighter to load etc.
Beach launching through surf with a fishing kayak is not fun :(
If you had to make a choice for constant surf launching, I'd say the Revo might be a better bet as it will track better and be quicker off the mark getting through the "break, though not as stable as as PA or Outback.
The foredeck contour of the Outback tends to chanel water into the cockpit when you go "through" a wave which I don't particularly like.
Cheers, Rod

Last edited by rodrocket on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Been in 5-6 swells (NOT breaking!) in the Gulf of Mexico and the PA14 does fine. After spending some time in the PA12, I would say it would do the same. That being said, they both tend to take a little water through the front hatch. Not a bit deal, but if I were going to spend anytime out on the open water, I would think about putting in a bilge pump and making sure there were some pool noodles in the hull for flotation. It is still a very stable hull and I find it very seaworthy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would also suggest not loading the bow, it tends to dig. I would say the PA's are every bit as stable as the Outback, having been on all of them. If you're talking primary stability, they are more stable, secondary stability, as stable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't taken mine into the ocean, but I fish a congested harbor with many 50' boats coming in from offshore. Most are courteous and slow down when passing me the charter captains and para sail guys have that time is money attitude. I fish the shallower shoulders of the channel so these guys throw a good wake in close succession, when I see them coming I turn my bow into their wake and take some water over the bow never felt in danger. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My limited time in the ocean has shown me that the much wider PA tends to hug the water surface rather than rolling with the wave. The PA is stable enough for me to be able to stand and crawl around on it where as the Outback didn't allow me to do so. Just my observation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'd have to define what you mean by stability. A big, flat sheet of plywood lying on the water is going to be very stable, but in waves and swells it's going to conform to the water surface, meaning it'd probably toss you off as it angles to lie flat on the side of a big swell.

On the other hand, a little narrow sea kayak, one of those really "tippy" boats, will just ignore the waves and swells and rise and fall straight up and down. Now that's stable.

So again, it really depends on what you mean by that term. Because of it's very good initial stability, I'd not want to have my PA out in any really bad waves or swells. On the other hand, I'd be perfectly comfortable in my Revolution in pretty bad water.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anthony Byrne wrote:
Hi all ,
I currently own a hobie outback and have been fishing the last two years. The question I ask, is the pro angler 12 a stable kayak and would it be as stable as an outback ? My answer to this would be that the 12 will be a bit more stable than the outback.

Would the pa 12 be able to handle these conditions. I would like to say that if the outback handled these conditions then the 12 will too. BUT the under sides of the two yaks are different and may handle a little differently for what you will have to do to keep the yak upright.

HOpes this helps. Good Luck

Thanks for your time
Anthony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:51 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Having owned all three Kayaks I think the stability of the PA12 is better than a outback and slightly less than a PA14. The PA12 and PA 14 are very similar. The biggest advantage is the additional Beam and weight Capacity. I am a big guy (265 lb.) When in my outback the water in the drive well was above the well deck, in both PAs the water level is 2 inches below the interior deck. As for the stability the PAs have the advantage over the outback. If you find yourself in conditions that cause you to question the Kayaks safety, I would head for shore. (Or not go out...)

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought about this post when I was out this weekend with about a 10 mph wind and capping chop. I realized that in the conditions you are describing there would be a couple of things that would be very important.

1. Never go alone. Period.

2. A dry suit. In the conditions you describe, you will get wet. The boat is very capable, but won't be dry.

3. Carry at least two forms of communication. Make certain they are waterproof (not just in waterproof pouches). You might also consider an EPIRB.

Basically, plan for the worst and expect the best. I still think the boat is as capable as any other in this class of boats. At the end of the day, it's all about risk management in the environment you find yourself in.

Hope that wasn't too obvious. In my sunny, warm place, it's easy to ponder your circumstance. That said, with the right gear, the right conditions and a good plan, I'd take the PA out in your environment. It sounds like a blast!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
Hobie Team Member

turtle2,

You are spot on with the safety equipment, Having done a self rescue, you can not be too prepared,but I think either Pro Angler will provide you the safest kayak possible.

Tim
(And yes I have a personal EPIRB & floating VHF)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've felt very stable in 2-3 ft swells, the wave period such that riding them was fun! I took some splash when the bow dug in, and the PA12 drained quickly. I did buy a bilge pump at West Marine, the idea being pumping out through the tackle tray hatch should I ever capsize and take water in the bow hatch. I figure its inevitable one day I'm going to flip.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 am 
Hobie Team Member

SandyToes, That's a great idea. I haven't rolled either of my PRO Anglers (12&14) over, but when I do I can assure you that I will have a bilge pimp with me. Actually I wouldn't expect much water to get in during a rollover, but if it did you will need a good bailing device to get the water out. On one of my previous Kayaks I thought a large sponge would work, but when water went into the hull. The sponge floated to a spot that I couldn't find it. Your pump should be stowed on your aft deck (Ty it to the bungie cord. I also carry a piece of Tygon tubing to extend the reach of the pump to get the water overboard.

Before you get underway - Always ask your self what could go wrong?
Then ask - What else could go wrong...