Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the Side imaging (structure scan) we understand from the Lowrance people that the side imaging will still work, but it's not going to work 100% effectively due to the position of the transducer. For best results it needs to be mounted completely clear below the hull, and this isn't possible when installed inside the recces of the mount - you would still need to mount that style of transducer clear below the bottom somehow - basically I'm saying you will need to do it same as you do now - no different.
The PA 12 mounting system will work for a wide range of finder products (not just Lowrance) including the newer DSI units, so it is still a very nice feature. Lowrance structure scan can always just be bolted onto the bottom side of the plate leaving it completely clear of the hull bottom, but it would then be more vulnerable to impact with objects or the bottom (compared to use on a over-the-side arm mount) , so it is possible, just not ideal.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The side imaging cone is about 160° so 80° each side. If the cone is reduced say 10/15%, I guess there is not a real problem as the waves going far away are not really necessary. It would be worth to have a send-back of a trial from Hobie.

If need to put the transducer below the hull, I will glue this one inside the front hull as I did for the PA 14 :

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ooops, look before you type...My bad. I just made my first post under Kayak fishing asking if my Humminbird 898C SI will fit the PA 12 I have coming in...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

here's a video showing an install on the PA 12 with the Lowrance ready plate system

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Wg6V6OIzI[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great.. but we still don't know if a side imaging or structure scan transducer works with this feature... :|

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got just posted some extra lawrance gear for my friend here.

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/hds-ge ... 78416.html

I don't know if the structure scan fits in that ready unit, but it might. The thu hull or puck would for sure. Big graphs for a yak though. I already got a couple 10" hds, 8" hds, a 7 and a 5. I should get HBO with all the electronics I have on my bass boat.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brambo wrote:
I don't know if the structure scan fits in that ready unit, but it might.

The question is not "does it fits" but "does it works"...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

felvic wrote:
Brambo wrote:

I already answered this question about 6 posts up for you

"For the Side imaging (structure scan) we understand from the Lowrance people that the side imaging will still work, but it's not going to work 100% effectively due to the position of the transducer. For best results it needs to be mounted completely clear below the hull, and this isn't possible when installed inside the recces of the mount - you would still need to mount that style of transducer clear below the bottom somehow - basically I'm saying you will need to do it same as you do now - no different.
The PA 12 mounting system will work for a wide range of finder products (not just Lowrance) including the newer DSI units, so it is still a very nice feature. Lowrance structure scan can always just be bolted onto the bottom side of the plate leaving it completely clear of the hull bottom, but it would then be more vulnerable to impact with objects or the bottom (compared to use on a over-the-side arm mount) , so it is possible, just not ideal.
"

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
felvic wrote:
Brambo wrote:

"For the Side imaging (structure scan) we understand from the Lowrance people that the side imaging will still work, but it's not going to work 100% effectively due to the position of the transducer. For best results it needs to be mounted completely clear below the hull, and this isn't possible when installed inside the recces of the mount - you would still need to mount that style of transducer clear below the bottom somehow - basically I'm saying you will need to do it same as you do now - no different.
"

Transducer shield makes a protector that works for the LSS1 structure scan. They don't have one for the LSS2 yet, but will. They have wedges you could install behind the rudder to make it parallel to the water. I would epoxy the mount or marine grade silicone. Should be protected back there.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:

I know but my question is : Did anybody try it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Today I tried it and unfortunately it doesn't work. :(

So I ask my question again : Did anybody try structure scan?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How bout the h'bird adaptor kit?

does it work? anyone used it? pictures of the adaptor?

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried ysesterday to put Sikaflex (polyurethan mastic) all around the hull hole.

It doesn't work much.

So I ask two questions:

- You are 300 000 000 in USA and nobody is asking about this problem. We are 60 000 000 in France and this is a big problem for us.
Nobody use side scan in USA?

- Why Hobie didn't think out about the best emplacement of the hole, in front of hull for example, where the hull is narrow and sounder waves could go thru without problem?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone,
I would like to share some information on this so we can all be clearer. The Lowrance structure scan (LSS) transducer will not fit in to the Lowrance Ready Cavity - it is simply too long. The cover plate for the Lowrance Ready cavity is about 7.5 inches long while the LSS transducer used for the structure scan is 10.1" long and 10.8" long with the transom mount on it. Here are the Lowrance specifications for structure scan – check out page 12 http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance/S ... -001_w.pdf
Even if it did fit in to the cavity you are going to lose part of the angle of the beam because it is not clear below the deck of the kayak. The best solution for mounting the structure scan transducer would be to mount it over the side with something like the RAM Transducer Arm mount: http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello,

I tried to use this hole rather than glue the transducer inside the kayak.

I filled the quoting of the sonde with SikaFlex plyuethane mastic.
Rather badly than definitely, because it is inaccessible and unless being contortionist or having power to shrink, they work blindly. A shapeless patty is in order.
Result is deplorable. Under the sonde picture is almost correct, but on the quoting nada. After looking to the hull, this is normal : the hull shape both side is down one inch than the hole, so the waves go thru the air of them!

So I tried after a system of tubes allowing to go down and up the sonde.
Then I went on a post to river with 5m of water:

First picture transducer raised, second was lowered:

( note that the transducer is not held perfectly right in water)

I had the right intuition, the hole plate blurs waves because pictures are net while during the first try with the Hobie hole plate were blurred.
We see very well on the first picture the border of waves 8 in 9m (I made an average of both quoting to take into account the incline of the sonde).
On the second picture waves are free (the black border to the right is the bank)

Roughly we will have in lateral sweeping the double of the depth. In 20m for instance, we will have both quoting 40m.

What very informative and that supports my hypotheses, it is that Down (fit to 'narrow ') does not vary.
What proves that with this fiiting, alone the central party of the waves of the side cone is taken back..

Last edited by felvic on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.