Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Hank Parker Outback
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have stumbled across a like new 2005 Hank Parker Outback. Everything looks like it is in good working order. Apparently the owner purchased this new but very seldom used it.

Any known problems with this older model Outback. Any idea on the used value of this model??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a Hank Parker Outback and have been very happy with it. It is very stable and I only had to make minor ajustments to the rudder. I have been useing it for about a year now with no major issues. Don't know of any known problems, but you should check closely for any hull cracks especially around the drive well and supper holes as with any kayak.

Me and my gf both bought Hank Parker Outbacks because the guy had 2 to sell and we have had no problems out of either one. We gave about 950 apice. After that, I upgraded the drives with V2 sprockets and turbo fins because the fin mast on the old V1s kept comeing loose. Been going strong ever since.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would avoid all pre 2009 outbacks, the old mirage drive locking mechanism is problematic and led to hull cracks. If you do purchase one do NOT use Turbo fins with it because that will compound the problem. I also rec'd a good bilge pump be kept readily available at all times.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

islandspeed2001 wrote:
I have stumbled across a like new 2005 Hank Parker Outback. Everything looks like it is in good working order. Apparently the owner purchased this new but very seldom used it.

Any known problems with this older model Outback. Any idea on the used value of this model??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jerry

Hello,
You should try the newer hull design on the outback,I didn't care for the rocking back and forth with the old design. Not implying that its unstable but disconcerting. I tried the 2012 outback and revo. The choice was difficult between the two because the 2012 outback is vastly improved for my tastes.Chose the revo 11 because of weight and manuerabilty. With turbo fins its a rocket

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a new PA 12 and just sold my 09' Outback. Found this older model 05 that is in great shape and just thought I might pick it up for a spare or turn around and sell it if I could make a couple bucks off it. Got a feeling that the current owner is very proud on his 05 and is asking far too much for it. Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have one and have used it quite a bit. No problems at all. Really like the lever actuated rudder system.

The hull is actually more stable that the hull on later models. It has less primary stability, but more secondary stability. On flat water it feels a little tippy (it's not, just feels that way) but on rollers it just rises and falls like a log, whereas the newer models with the flatter hull tend to roll with the swells.

Only thing I don't like about it is the small forward hatch - I like to carry my one-piece rods inside the kayak while transporting it. But it's not a big deal. If you can get a good deal on it, buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scfa wrote:
I would avoid all pre 2009 outbacks, the old mirage drive locking mechanism is problematic and led to hull cracks. If you do purchase one do NOT use Turbo fins with it because that will compound the problem. I also rec'd a good bilge pump be kept readily available at all times.

I don't know about every body else, but I've used my non leaking pre 2009 Outback almost every weekend since I got it and haven't had any problems what so ever. Even with turbo fins, outriggers and sail kit. Therefore I have no regrets about my purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome Drew, and I wish you continued success with it.

Hopefully it never cracks because they can fill up pretty fast when they do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scfa wrote:

Thanks, I hope it never dose either. This past summer wile at a swimming spot, I opened the hatches and let it fill with water to see what I would be dealing with if something did happen one day. It was no easy task getting all the water back out and that was by the shore.

I may look into a way to reinforce any potential trouble spots from the inside like perhaps using Keeleazy http://www.keeleazy.com/page1/page1.html along with the right epoxy. It's made of vinyl and molds around curved when heated with a hair dryer. This will be my winter project.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Went to look at the 05' Hank Parker Outback. It was like finding a 57 Chev in some little old lady's garage with only 5,000 miles on it. This Outback had only been used 2 times in freshwater. Because of hip/leg problems, the owner decided he couldn't use it. It was put away in storage and had remained there until today. It is no longer in that garage as it has found a new home :P

Not being a Hobie owner until 09' it was interesting to compare the 05' model with the current modifications. Different rudder system, rear tank well, front hatch enlarged, etc.

Does anyone know if there is any type of warranty still applying for this second (barely) owner Outback???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drewyaker wrote:
scfa wrote:

Thanks, I hope it never dose either. This past summer wile at a swimming spot, I opened the hatches and let it fill with water to see what I would be dealing with if something did happen one day. It was no easy task getting all the water back out and that was by the shore.

I may look into a way to reinforce any potential trouble spots from the inside like perhaps using Keeleazy http://www.keeleazy.com/page1/page1.html along with the right epoxy. It's made of vinyl and molds around curved when heated with a hair dryer. This will be my winter project.

At one time Hobie offered an upgrade/reinforcement prevention kit for older Mirage Drive boats. It came with some paste epoxy and longer bolts for the MD toggles. You might inquire and see if they still offer these.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tom. Matt advised me to contact my dealer who just happened to have one kit left. Picking it up this weekend.

Have been told that the well should be good anyway but just don't put turbo fins on the Outback. Best to take precautions anyway.

Again, thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put the retrofit kit on my 06 then beefed up the cam towers. I have easily put a hundred miles on my outback with turbofins. I have a floating kayak dock so I tend to go out quite a bit. I like the outback seating position and rudder control more than my revo 13 but the revo rides much quieter. The outback hull slaps unless you really have it loaded down.