Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The specs of a couple of the European boats, including the Tatoo, reference "patented removable keel system" or "Interchangeable keel system." The terms seem to be used interchangeably. Except for those vague references I can't find much more on the subject and I'm sure I just didn't look in the right place. Can anyone elaborate?

wscotterwin wrote:
Target Market is key here...

...The people that are getting drawn to us are of all ages but most are young professionals and some student out of Cal Poly. ...

...Something has shifted. Jet skis and quads are no longer cool. These people want to be around others who want to share excitement and fun outdoor events. ...

Interesting observation. I got into the sport, and Hobie specifically, via my son who is a senior in high school. Since he was little he was interested in the Hobies we would see parked (unused it seemed) on the beach on Hilton Head Island. He never had an interest in jet skis but sure had a bug for a Hobie - specifically the 16. He even fronted the hard earned cash from his job to get our project 16 this Spring and sunk more into it during the restoration plus his time. He has not looked back.

mmiller wrote:
We are evaluating the European line of boats. The Tattoo is the most likely one to make it's way over here, but we need to fully test it first. We have one here in Oceanside.

Hi Matt- thanks for your input - Marketability and cost feasibility are obviously something Hobie is considering. I'm curious about what other tests (you mention "fully test it first") Hobie is doing... stress/durability testing, competitiveness, etc. ? This is really interesting. Not asking to reveal trade secrets - just trying to picture the decision process if it were me making such a big strategic, non-trival, decision.

Last edited by jonh on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a legit and much needed discussion. We need a new entry level boat that isn't just for the keeping the kids entertained while sailors are off playing.

I started sailing on lasers in a yacht club program and picked up a Hobie 16 for 500 bucks, it was a great step up from super beginner to a "real" boat. I was in high school at the time, and got that thing before I even had a car. It was great. With wind surfing or more realistically kit surfing and other such high tech modern sports, old style sailboats, even if they are being made new are probably going to be picked up by people that have already had experience with them.

The new sailor or the new Hobie owner is going to be looking at all the cat options. Most likely something that be be towed by a light truck or car and setup by one or two people with ease. I like the idea of an F16 boat. If I want to go race, I have to drive at least a couple of hours for the closest venue. If it is sold as, or could be upgraded to F16 specifications then our world gets larger.

The boat needs a price scale, an 8k price doesn't need to include spinnaker, wings and a boat load of carbon, 8k gets you on the water and learning what a jib means for a cat.

I am just getting back into Hobies and sailing after a 10 year hiatus, my experience mostly comes from motorcycles. A huge factor in that world comes from the number of units made and sold for parts availability and for the ability to get aftermarket upgrades. Hobie can sell a boat with a solid base for the beginner and a catalog full of upgrade packs for the more experienced sailor.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great, so now we know we are likely to get some new boats out of this new merger. I also asume Hobie will look to our discussions as input for design review.

If we take Matt's information and asume that some we are getting a boat around 17', would we buy a roto mold boat?

How important to you is that the boat be built with poly fiberglass? Can you see our A and B sailors in our fleets and racing venues racing roto mold boat. Will the other cat classes take a roto boat seriously?
What about a boat that could be marketed with rotomold hulls with a fiberglass hull upgade? Is there any benefit?

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am 
Site Admin

We have in-house engineering and production capability that Hobie Cat Europe did not have when designing the Tattoo. We need to review design and manufacturing standards on any new products since we now have control over it in Europe.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tattoo cat looks fun but the hobie pearl seems like a better bet performance and load capacity. Is the the pearl in production?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My ideal Hobie NEW Cat would look a lot like the old fashioned out of date Hobie 16
The hulls would be about 16' feet long +/_
This new boat would be almost indestructable
The boat light weight would make it easy to tow on the road and easy to pull on the beach quick to rig and and take down
The mast would be alumnium close to the length of the old 16
Blocks and rigging would be first class Harken
The boat would need to be a great racer and also a fantastic family boat
It would be easy for a beginner but a blast for a experienced sailor or racer
This super cat could sail with 1-2-3-4 on board
If you get my meaning a super cat is already in production in the USA
and of course it is the Hobie 16
Former Hobie Admiral Gary
Hobie 16 and Hobie 21 SE in my Hobie Fleet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pearl would be an interesting addition. Gives the "heavier" crews something to sail on.

Tattoo looks like it would be a weight sensitive boat, Hobie US already has one of those in the H16.

Here's my criteria
I want a cat that's quick & easy to set up. (able to do single-handed, in 10-15 minutes)
I want a cat that's easy to haul. (can bust down, or be small enough, don't need trailer)
I want a cat that will handle an adult (75kg, or two kids)
I want a cat that is at least as fast as a H14.

Similar to a Laser in concept, light & fast.
A cat that's not specifically easy to master.
Hobie has the easy boats, the masses boat, in the Bravo & Wave.

Take the next step, an entry level, HP performer in the $4K to $6K range

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You guys want some pretty unrealistic stuff. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am pretty dang happy with my 32 year old 16! Been slowly upgrading her to more current specs. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone considered the retrofit approach. :idea: There are quite a few Hobies out there, how about designing modern hulls that can be both be sold as new boats, BUT also be fitted to existing hardware. e.g., for the H17 & 18 - New wave piercing hulls that have the same attachment points as the existing boats, so someone with a relatively modern rig can switch out hulls (1/2 the price of a new boat??) and have an upgraded boat. Just a thought.

P.S. Please keep making H17 parts, cause I keep breaking them. :roll:

P.S.S. 43 sailing trips so far this season, trying to make 50 before I winterize. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

trying to stay 200 words or less.

I'm sure I will get lambasted for this but here it goes.

What if Hobie were to introduce an upgraded/upgradable TI with slightly larger AMA's to carry more people, wider stance (12 ft wide vs 10 ft wide), a 120 sq ft mainsail (23 ft tall), 40 sq ft jib, and 150 plus sq ft spinnaker, on a bowsprit. all on rotofurlers, and one man controllable (could easily carry 4-6 people). This boat would hold it's own with most anything else out there on the market (comparable to the Getaway) I estimate the top speed could get up to 23-24 mph. If Hobie were to control the design this boat type could become the next One design, for both entry level and more advanced sailers. Of course you can't fly the hull like a cat, but in the right hands it could be quite fast, yet you can take the rigging off and kayak up rivers with the Mirage drives (a multi use boat is the key to the future drawing people from all walks together just for the love of being on the water and having fun with like minded people). My opinion is Hobie would sell 20 times the number of boats going down this path, over a new re hashed, re-designed H16 class or something similar.
This is just my opinion the world is changing.
Ok I'll get off my soap box now.

Last edited by fusioneng on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I Hobie can come out with a boat a like Nacra 500 or slightly faster, at the price of H16 or close, it would work for me. Sorry Hobie for using the N word... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gary eudy wrote:
My ideal Hobie NEW Cat would look a lot like the old fashioned out of date Hobie 16
If you get my meaning a super cat is already in production in the USA
and of course it is the Hobie 16
Former Hobie Admiral Gary
Hobie 16 and Hobie 21 SE in my Hobie Fleet

:P
Well said Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jackB wrote:
I Hobie can come out with a boat a like Nacra 500 or slightly faster, at the price of H16 or close, it would work for me.

Sarcasm? DPN for a Nacra 500 (Sloop, 2-up) is 76.4, so (theorhetically, at least) the H16 IS slightly faster (DPN=76.0).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fastcat wrote:
P.S. Please keep making H17 parts, cause I keep breaking them. :roll:

Thats funny Fastcat!
I have been thinking the same thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next