Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crack of Dawn Kayak Cart
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am paranoid about using the scupper cart and I hate unloading all my stuff to turn it on its side. Anybody use this ?

http://www.amazon.com/Crack-Malibu-Kaya ... B003HACN9Q

It looks like the best ting I have found but would like to hear if any PA owners use it and what you think of it. The way it looks I could just sit out the cart and lift the rear of the PA and sit it down with the hull lined up with the cart. Then just strap it. Any feedback appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Feel the same way. Save the money and build it yourself for 3/4 the cost of the one for sale. I just build the same one this weekend. So glad I did.
Cheers - Adam
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.co ... build.html

Proper
Pervious
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
Basically, plan ahead or plan to fail.

Papaya Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen that, but thanks for the reply. I had thought that the pvc might not work with the girth of the PA. Please pass on your experience using it. I also thought that this type of cart would work on multiple boats and even canoes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This will work as well as the one you posted about. The good thing w/ the PVC one is that you can customize it to the size and length you'd like. I did increase the PVC to 1 1/2'' instead of the recommended sized used

Proper
Pervious
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
Basically, plan ahead or plan to fail.

Papaya Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From the picture in the link you provided, I suspect that this would work fine on hard surfaces, but may not work on sand. I have the Trax-2 cart with the "beach friendly" Wheel-eze tires, and these definitely are NOT adequate for hauling a 135# loaded PA any distance across sand. If I were looking for a replacement, I would get something that uses the oversize Wheel-eze tires, as these work on hard surfaces and on soft sand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can vouch for the Wheel-Ez kayak cart (with the rail kit). Works great, never ever have problems launching. My launches are usually only 50-100ft away from where I park so I never bother attaching the kayak to the cart unless there is steep terrain.

Took 4 or 5 launches before I got the hang of using the cart..but now it's super easy. Also with Tom Kirkman's trailer bunk mod, loading the kayak has become ridiculously easy.

With my 150lb PA12 - I load and unload faster than people using a 50# Native Ultimate. It's great!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gatorling - is that Wheel-eez beach cart with the optional rail kit "stowable" in or on the PA when on the water? It looks pretty large - like you could only bring it with you if you sacrifice the front tub storage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gatorling wrote:
I can vouch for the Wheel-Ez kayak cart (with the rail kit). Works great, never ever have problems launching. My launches are usually only 50-100ft away from where I park so I never bother attaching the kayak to the cart unless there is steep terrain.

Took 4 or 5 launches before I got the hang of using the cart..but now it's super easy. Also with Tom Kirkman's trailer bunk mod, loading the kayak has become ridiculously easy.

With my 150lb PA12 - I load and unload faster than people using a 50# Native Ultimate. It's great!

Where can I find that cart w/rail kit? Can you provide a website or link?
Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So nobody uses the Crack of Dawn cart? Seems like it is the most durable for the money....stowable...I am sold based on the website, but I would like to hear a testimonial from a PA owner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a thing wrong with use of the scupper cart as long as you get them fully inserted into the scupper hole. If you are careful and pay attention to what your doing when using the scupper cart, it will work great for you.

PVC carts are cheap and even fun to customize build them. However, PVC will fail on you at the worst moment :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just don't like the scupper cart at the end of a long day fishing. I don't mind unloading my gear at my vehicle, but to get the scupper cart in I have to move my gear first.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

wolfewiz wrote:
I just don't like the scupper cart at the end of a long day fishing. I don't mind unloading my gear at my vehicle, but to get the scupper cart in I have to move my gear first.

Theoretical question (since I've never handled a Pro Angler or used a scupper cart): Can you fit the cart to the boat while the boat is still floating, and then wheel it up the beach? How deep water would you have to stand in, to do this?

(I realise this wouldn't work if you land at a dock.)

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mary Skater wrote:
wolfewiz wrote:

Theoretical question (since I've never handled a Pro Angler or used a scupper cart): Can you fit the cart to the boat while the boat is still floating, and then wheel it up the beach? How deep water would you have to stand in, to do this?

(I realise this wouldn't work if you land at a dock.)

Mary

Yes you can do that...the air filled tires on some of the carts make it difficult. You have to get wet tho, and in some of the temperatures I fish in the spring, winter and fall that is no good. Plus, on freshwater lakes and rivers I fish I dont get wet at all unless something strange happens.