Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat crack 08 Revolution
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took my kayak out last Sunday and when removing seat I noticed my seat has developed a crack. I find it strange that the peg hole should crack. I am 190# and hardly think my weight would cause such a crack. I am perplexed as to how to repair or prevent from getting worse. I purchased in 08 and the store I bought it from is out of business.

When pressure added to the seat the cracks opens What is the repair recommendation.

oh well, there goes the resale value down the tubes.

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If necessary, that's an easy fix by filling partway a pvc cap with the proper epoxy and installing from inside. Search the forum for more details.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would also drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading. Do what the above poster suggested as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the swift replies.
Furthur research and forum searches now has me quite concerned.

I have never used the screw in type of pegs only the original 08 push in seat pegs.

This post concerns me about repair. A photo was posted with a similar crack and Matt Miller said it required a hull replacement.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=31205&p=154553&hilit=Seat+Peg+Crack#p154553

Roller
Post subject: Re: Crack in the hull of my Adventure IslandPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, on closer inspection i'm not so sure my seat peg crack is a simple one as it extends under/towards my seat IE out of the peg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... ighole.jpg

mmiller
Post subject: Re: Crack in the hull of my Adventure IslandPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Site Admin

That would need replacing I'm afraid.

I purchased a second 08 revolution for a local dealer and will take mine to him to see what can be done. I probably should do the pvc cap repair on my other one just to be on the safe side.

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you have been pretty unlucky with this.

I also feel that the suggested repair techniques should work pretty well and at least the crack is not under the waterline! But personally I would take the boat to a professional plastic welder first to see what they say.

From the looks of it, putting something solid over the peg 'pot' inside the boat to prevent it from opening up should be achievable easily enough - along the lines of what has already been suggested, or how about a section of aluminium tubing cut to cover the 'pot' and glued over it with the appropriate resin - if the covering is rock-solid enough you should be able to prevent further movement. Then you have a number of possibilities for addressing the crack where it extends into the seat area - from professional plastic welding, to 'kitchen table' plastic welding to silicone sealant to duct tape.

Drilling a small hole at the end of the crack may well be a good idea but as I say, personally I would take the boat to a professional plastic welder to see what they say before starting any kind of fix.

Please let the forum know how you get on!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks stobbo

Unlucky yes and actually to be blunt a bit peeved (being polite) about it as well.
That a kayak in this price range is cracking after 4 years. I know of Ocean Kayaks and Malibu kayaks in my kayaking groups twice as old and no cracks in their hulls or seats or anywhere.
I will keep everyone informed of the end result. I will take it tomorrow to the dealer where I bought my second one and see what they recommend. Fortunately he is still in business.

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Unlucky perhaps and disappointing no doubt, but definitely fixable and IMO at little or no loss in value to your 5 year old boat and no loss in utility at all.

I agree with Bob's recommendation using Yakaholic's PVC cap repair and a liberal amount of the recommended epoxy over the cracked area from inside (see second post on this link). The proper epoxy is important with a stress crack like this.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25029

While you're at it, you could elect to do the other side as a preventive measure.

With the pressure off and the area further stabilized from underneath, I doubt there will be any further expansion of the crack. Mark it anyway just in case and if it travels further, then you can drill a small hole at the end to arrest it as cnnachman suggested.

You should be up and operating in no time. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="Roadrunner"]Unlucky perhaps and disappointing no doubt, but definitely fixable and IMO at little or no loss in value to your 5 year old boat and no loss in utility at all.

Well that will be left to be seen on the day I sell it but I have learned with any product, vehicle, or boat - A dent, an accident, a scratch, or a blemish is just that and in the seat it is a more visible a spot than any other. A crack in a hull repaired or not is a turn way if not a total slash in price new or used. With that I will disagree with you Roadrunner. I have seen people walk away from a kayak sale due to normal wear & tear scratches on the bottom. Anyway nothing to harp on just a fact of life. I had no intent to sell anytime soon.

I will have the PVC cap repair done to my other revolution to hopefully prevent such a crack in the future.

For now I need to get mine fixed. I will not go 6 miles offshore in the 10,000 islands on my next planned outing with a crack.

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd have the dealer file a warranty claim, especially when the crack extends past where the pvc/epoxy method will cover. Worst that can happen is Hobie denies claim and you do the repair. If you attempt to do the repair first before filing a claim and it doesn't fix the crack, your subsequent claim may be denied.
Even though the hull is 2yrs out of warrantee, it may be pro-rated.

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have spoken to the dealer where I purchased my second revolution (original dealer out of business) and I gave him the serial number and the pictures I took.
I will be bringing it to him for consult.

As always the feedback on the forum is the best.

Keep ya posted.

Thanks,

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I have typically seen in this forum:

Hobie's customer service is the "BEST" and compared to none.

Hobie is working with me on a pro rated replacement hull. Thank You Hobie so very much.

Sincerely,

Revo