Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking to replace a hobie 16 jib traveler trim system. I've seen listings for "Hobie 16 Jib Sheet Setup Sailboat Prindle Nacra". I'm not sure what Prindle Nacra refers to. It sounds like another type of catamaran. As you can see, I'm fairly new to sailing these boats and don't know all of the different catamaran variants. At times, it sounds like they're talking one in the same when referring to these boats. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi stevebju. The Hobie, Prindle, and Nacra are three different companies and boats. see http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx
Maybe that will help reframe your question.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stevebju wrote:
I've seen listings for "Hobie 16 Jib Sheet Setup Sailboat Prindle Nacra". I'm not sure what Prindle Nacra refers to. It sounds like another type of catamaran.

As the previous poster stated, Prindle and Nacra are other brands of catamaran. Often when people are selling parts for these other boats on craigslist or ebay, they'll stick the word Hobie in the ad too. Because Hobie is a much larger company, most people searching for beach cats or beach cat parts will just put "Hobie" in the search engine (many people consider Hobie to be a generic term for beach cat).

In any case, jib parts from a Prindle or Nacra will most likely NOT work on your H16. For that matter, jib parts from other size Hobies will likely not work on your H16 either. The H16 jib system is unique.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All of the auctions I see on there now are Hobie parts. Most of the time sheeting blocks are pretty universal from boat to boat.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All, thanks for the replies...I feel more informed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bacho wrote:
Most of the time sheeting blocks are pretty universal from boat to boat.

I would disagree with that statement, especially in regard to the Hobie 16. The H16 needs to be run with very low-profile blocks and there have been a lot of different systems used on the 16 over the years, but they are all specific to the H16 only. Also, the jib traveler system on the H16 (which is what the OP mentioned in his first post) is something that is unique to the H16 only. There are no other cats that I know of that use a remote jib traveler system like the H16.

sm