Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Bravo community......New owner here and I couldn't be happier with the Bravo. This is my third Hobie Cat and some would say this would be a step back from my previous Hobie 16's but I'm loving every minute of it. Almost. Today I flew my first hull and managed to tip it over a few times. After a great day of sailing I opened the back hatch to get my car keys that I had put in a zip lock bag and they were nowhere to be found. Turns out they got logged in the right hull. Lesson learned, the back hatch is open to the hulls so be careful what you put in there. I'll be using the front hatch from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not my photo, or even a bravo, but I did something like this

There is also a drop in bag you could look into that fits the hatches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ha, welcome Jim.

Like you, I'm relatively new to the Bravo (this Spring) and having a blast. I truly believe it is the best choice for my bay with all of it's shallow points and unpredictable winds. Although I am considering an upgrade to a Wave next year just to be able to go a bit faster, easier in gustier conditions. Anything bigger though would not suit my location.

Also like you, I currently have a sponge and a mesh bag full of bungee cords lodged up front in one of the hulls that I have to rig up a skinny pole & hook to retrieve. I think I'm going to glue an eyelet on the bottom hull inside the hatch to hook things too. That way, I can take advantage of the larger space allowed by not using a drop in bucket but still have things secured.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, luckily I was able to recover the keys after tilting the boat every which way. I did the math today and replacement keys for three cars would have cost me close to $400.

Love....thanks for the ideas and photo. I think I will try and find some sort of bag to put in there.

Murph......an upgrade to the Wave would be nice,wish I had the room for one. Nice to be able to hand launch the Bravo though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

If you look at the picture posted by LovesNumbers, you will see that the rear hatch has two small holes (which are not in use in the photo) right by the hinge. If you put a small piece of rope in a loop around there, you can do what I do. I run the small rope in a circle through there, tied tightly with knots, and then I tie the handle of a mesh bag to that rope.

Personally, I don't use the rear hatch for much, other than a safety kit. I don't want to have to open that hatch on the water as any big wave can come over and fill the boat.

Use the front hatch for things like keys (but keep in mind that the front hatch is water resistant, not water proof) and if you need extra storage, you can do something like this:

Image Image
In the image, you'll see I tied my shoes to the rope, but you can tie a dry bag, or anything else to it. I find that using a dry bag is much better than using the small rear hatch, and it allows me to access my gear without risking flooding the boat.

Congrats on your new purchase. It's no 16, but I bet you'll use it more!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I saw those holes but wondered if placing a thin line through them would impact the seal. Obviously it has not for you so this is good.

I certainly haven't been afraid to lash things to our Bravo. When we use it to sail over to the beach on the island across our bay, we generally have two folding beach chairs lashed to each side of the a-frame, a dry sack full of our towels, books and stuff, a waterproof lunch bag, our footwear and a beach umbrella strapped to the deck via the foot lashings. It's quiet a site! heheheh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aug.....sounds like a great idea, going to see if I can find a waterproof bag and give it a try.

Murph......you make latching things to the Bravo sound fun! I'll have to try that sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any paddling shop will have a "dry bag" if you don't have a shop like that nearby, then most sporting goods stores sell them too. Some are better quality than others, you can usually tell by looking at them.

Have fun on the new boat!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/BagsPacksCases/Bags.jsp

I love Mountain Equipment Co-Op. It's only $5.00 to join for life and while it always pays to shop around for deals, they are consistently cheaper than the one local sporting goods store in my area that has no competition. Shipping is fast and so far painless as well.