Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just wondering how easy it is to remove the "classic" H18SX style wings from a Hobie Tiger. Are the horizontal mounts simply bolted to the crossbars or are they riveted in place? See the Craigslist ad for a picture. I haven't found any installation instructions online.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/3324262534.html

Thanks,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on the picture, it looks like they took four short pieces of square tubing and bolted them on top of the crossbars, most likely using the existing crossbar bolts (i.e., the crossbar bolts pass through the square tubing, through the crossbar, and bolt into the hull. The wings then mount to the square tubing. This is a custom job, not a Hobie system.

So removing the wings would be as simple as unbolting them from the square tubing (one bolt in each wing corner. However, then you'd be left with a piece of square tubing mounted at each crossbar corner. This would not be the most pleasant thing to sit on or slide into, and since the pieces of tubing extend past the end of the crossbar, I suspect you could get really hurt if you flew into the end of them from out on the wire, so you would definitely want to remove them if sailing without the wings. To remove the tubing pieces, you would more or less have to disassemble the whole boat (remove all 8 crossbar bolts). In short, you would have to disassemble the whole boat to safely sail without wings.

This of course is all just an assumption based on the pics.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi SRM,

Actually, the wings are one of three official Hobie wing offerings for the Tiger. I found an official diagram showing the wing components, but it excluded how those square pieces get mounted to the crossbars. Like you, I expect that the crossbar bolts are being used to mount them.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, yep, you're right. The only wings I remembered for the Tiger were the ones that plugged into the ends of the crossbars, but now I see there was a third system.

Anyway, based on the pic, I think you would definitely want to remove the brackets when not using the wings (or possibly modify the brackets so they are flush with the end of the crossbar- relocate the mounting holes). I would be surprized if these brackets mount in any way other than by using the crossbar bolts, so total disassembly is likely required to remove them. I'm sure the seller could confirm that though.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

are you selling the wings once they are removed??

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up getting a different Tiger that didn't have wings. You could contact the seller (see Craigslist ad in my first post) to see if he's interested in selling them separately.