Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I am in a fix...Wave is great and will suit me and the kids for a good few years I am sure. I am concerned that I will get bored (and also my mates) and wish I had just gone for the H16. So, the question is, do I just go for the H16 (bearing in mind, I am trying to encourage my 4 year old kids into sailing and they have a tiny attention span) or do I just go for the Wave, enjoy it for what it is and go for something with more dimensions down the track?

Would very much appreciate an opinion. Either way...I am pumped to get getting a hobie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Captain Kranky - You didn't mention anything about the kid's mom nor your weight & level of sailing experience. I'm all in favor of getting the biggest, baddest catamaran that you can safely handle with 4 yr. olds as crew. They won't remain 4 yrs. old for long and you can't count on them to enjoy sailing as much as you as they get older and participate in other activities.
I think it's best to get a boat now that you'll enjoy and sail for many years, rather that getting a boat for just a few years and then sell it and getting a bigger boat.
Because of the short attention spans of 4 yr. olds, you probably shouldn't take them out for longer than 20 - 30 minutes, so, this boat is really for you. What can you handle safely sailing solo, with kids, and other adults occasionally as crew?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks richandpat, I am 82kg's and have sailed cats, dinghy's and bigger single hull's up to 30ft. My wife is also someone I am hoping will get the bug...but she is fairly passive. However, I have been out of race sailing for about 10 years, and having sailed a Wave in Fiji, I thought it would be a great, easy to set up, social boat that could introduce the kids to rigging and sailing. If they don't enjoy it, it is also an easy boat for me to solo...guess I am answering my own question here! Wave it is! Very open to anyone else's experiences.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

82kg = 180lbs. (2.2lbs./kg)
I think a Wave would be simple and easier to rig and sail with a passive wife and young kids, but a H 16 would be faster and more exciting.
Either one would be a good choice for you and your family.
I think a lot would depend on availability and price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Being someone that owns a Wave and a 16...I say get em both!
Wanna go fast and scare yourself...16.
Wanna relaxing day with the fam...wave.
Wind blowing 30+mph...wave solo. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks all for your comments! It has helped to clarify a lot. Melbourne is windy. Typically 15- 18 knot wind as standard so I think I will get the H-Wave for it's simplicity, family friendly nature and the fact that it can still punch along in a good wind.

Easier to whip out after work too...I may even call it 'the offshore project' and claim it on tax :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Captain Kranky wrote:
I am concerned that I will get bored (and also my mates) and wish I had just gone for the H16.

Captain Kranky wrote:
Typically 15- 18 knot wind as standard

There is no way you'll get bored in 15-18 knt winds, H16 or Wave :D

You can also get a jib kit for Wave, to entertain an occasional kid or a wife.

H16 is much bigger and faster boat, but will take you longer to rig and more difficult to handle. H16 has more than twice as much sail area and 6.5 ft longer mast.