Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure how many other TI/AI owners have experienced their sail furling line getting caught under the mast bearing support, but I have on too many occasions & always at the worst times. I have tried various 'simple' methods to stop the line getting caught, but the photos below show my latest version & so far the most effective solution. I initially tried gluing (silicon) the shroud the the mast support, but I found that it didn't last (due to sideways aka movement) so I have added a couple of small screws to hold it to the bearing support. So far, this has work very well.

2011 Hobie TI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice solution, although I've never had this happen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never had that happen. My furling lines are never that far forward. I wonder what we are doing differently.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it has a lot to do with allowing your furling line to go slack between the cleat and the drum. I'm generally handling my line both in and out, so I never have any slack. I can see where a different handling method might incur that slack.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Tom & Keith,

You're exactly right about a slack furling line causing the problem. As my favourite launching spot is in a river, 3.5 nm from open water, I do lots of tacks before I can settle down to some nice open water sailing. As I am tacking so often, I can't keep adjusting the furling line for each tack & hence I have experienced the problem of the furling line getting caught under the mast bearing support. At least now I can relax & know that I can reef (furl the sail) very quickly at any time. I tie (Sheet-bend) the furling line to the end of the mainsheet, & like you, I always have it in my hand ready for quick adjustment.

2011 Hobie TI