Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:52 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

My friend Mike was out cruising the other day when he spotted an Osprey fishing. Those familiar with the bird know they are shy when it comes to humans. Nevertheless, Mike got his camera out and silently stalked the bird to a nearby perch. Drifting in almost motionlessly, he got some great pictures while I hung back: Image

In case you didn't notice, the bird had bagged this nice Bluegill! Image
Photo by Mike

I wondered if he could have gotten this shot without the Mirage Drive. Doubtful.

Mike doesn't just use his Hobie for photographing fishing birds. Like many Hobie owners, he enjoys a little fishing himself, both freshwater and salt. He'll be the first to say there is nothing like hands free fishing from your kayak!
Photo by Gill Parsley

It can be a long haul out through the harbor to the fishing grounds and Mike's Adventure with Turbofins gets him there (and back) in short order. In fact, Mike has gotten to be so fast, he won his class in this year's Bay 2 Bay race (he's the one with the big plaque). He exemplifies the expression "Further and Faster".

When he's not shooting pics, fishing or racing, he uses his Hobie to enjoy some sailing -- carries his sail along for whenever the wind shows up.

Nowhere do the Mirage Drive's unique qualities pay off better than in emergency situations. For example here you can see Mike (on right) preparing to accept the tow line from disabled boat while the rest of the passengers attend to their "Texas BBQ".

Whenever there is a local clean-up project, the guy with the Hobie is the first on the call list. You. guessed it, it's Mike again, shown here hauling one of many loads.

Well, that's just about it. How many other kayaks can support any of these activities as well as a Hobie, not to mention such a broad spectrum? To be fair, for someone whose only use of the water is to paddle around, there is no real advantage to having the Mirage Drive. But if you're like Mike, you'll do that too with your Hobie and still make it look good!

There is one more thing. Mike didn't pose for any of this stuff (except the trophy) -- this is what he does every week. Hands down, he gets my nomination for Boatman of the Year! Thanks Mike for showing us what is possible and thanks Hobie for making it possible! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner:
Nice posting.
One more thing to add is Mike has a good friend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hands down, the Hobie Mirage Drive Kayaks are the most versatile kayaks afloat. I've often said that if I could have only one kayak (perish the thought), it'd be a Hobie Revolution 13. It can be paddled, pedaled, or sailed. Not to mention it's fast, easily car-topped and comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Hands down, the Hobie Mirage Drive Kayaks are the most versatile kayaks afloat. I've often said that if I could have only one kayak (perish the thought), it'd be a Hobie Revolution 13. It can be paddled, pedaled, or sailed. Not to mention it's fast, easily car-topped and comfortable.

I second that statement and such a great post Roadrunner. Once you pedal a Hobie Mirage Kayak you get hooked, fishing in one hooks you without question. I have several friends and neighbors that have tried mine on the lake behind my house and next thing you know they are owners.

Secondly what is unique about Hobie is their customer service. I know of NO company that compares period!

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another competitive advantage of the mirage drive is the ability to power through strong winds and currents. In these weather conditions, you will quickly wear out on a paddle only SOT but the mirage drive (along with a sailing rudder) turns these days into an enjoyable experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie's sales are no where near what they could be if more of their dealers had a representative out on the local municipal waterways every weekend, offering to take people for a test run.

I had considered an Outback the first time I saw one, but no matter how much I tinkered with it in the dealer's place, I just couldn't fathom that it would really work very well, the company advertising notwithstanding.

Then they held a one-day "on the water" test and I drove out and tried one. I only had to go about 100 feet before I made the decision to get one. I bought it that afternoon (2005 Outback). It was the first one they had sold. According to their salesperson at the time - "They're way more expensive than other kayaks and nobody believes they really work."

I bet I've "sold" more Hobie kayaks than all the local Hobie dealers put together. All you have to do is get one on the water and let folks try it. If I was a Hobie dealer, I'd pay somebody to take one around to local lakes each weekend and do nothing but show, tell and demo, on the water. I can't imagine anybody trying one and saying "No, I didn't care for it."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wndrfl wrote:
Another competitive advantage of the mirage drive is the ability to power through strong winds and currents.
No doubt about it -- the worse the weather, the greater the advantage! Here is one of my favorite sequences from a race in San Diego Bay a few years ago. It was a wet and wild ride with 13 rescues, numerous withdrawals and several capsizes. Keep an eye on the highlighted surf ski as the Hobie Adventure closes in on it:

Suddenly the surf ski capsizes. Here the Hobie stops to help the victim remount
then beat him to the finish line by over 2 minutes. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great post Roadrunner... summarises very well all of the Hobie kayak advantages. 8)
I agree totally with all that's been said and would like to add that they make for a great commuter kayak. You might remember I've been kayaking to work nightshifts, twice each week for the last 5 or so years. This involves a 2km 'portage' and a roughly 6km paddle, pedal or sail each way. I know of no other craft that would handle these conditions as well as the Hobie. From glassy smooth to 30+knot winds the Adventure copes easily. I like to paddle when it's calm, sail when I can and pedal when the head/side winds get over 15 knots or so. The Miragedrive guarantees I make the trip in pretty much any conditions.
Thanks too for your tennisball scupper protectors, the portage side of my commute has been without incident. That's about 400km of wheeling each year.

Oh... and another aspect to Hobie's versatility. I originally came across the Hobie kayaks when I was researching pedal boats for one of my mates Jason, who has cerebral palsy. Beginning with an 06 Tandem (Oasis), then adding AI's and eventually a TI to the fleet I've done many trips with him. He easily sails the AI solo or pedals in Adventure mode. His disability is gone when he's in the Hobie and many times he's left me in his wake.

Hobie a unique craft? You bet! 8)

BTW- looks like that glue has finally let go of the ball in your pitot speedo! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

stringy wrote:
You might remember I've been kayaking to work nightshifts, twice each week for the last 5 or so years. This involves a 2km 'portage' and a roughly 6km paddle, pedal or sail each way.
Stringy, I think you're the only one here who uses your Hobie for official transportation! As such, this speaks volumes as to the reliability and versatility of Hobie's kayaks. With probably over 2000 kilometers on carts, it also makes you the defacto expert on cart selection and recommendations. :!:

Quote:
Thanks too for your tennisball scupper protectors, the portage side of my commute has been without incident. That's about 400km of wheeling each year.
As much as I would like to hog the credit, my friend Josh really gets the credit for the idea. Since he looks in on the forum from time to time, I have to say this or he may not pass on his other inspirations!

Quote:
BTW- looks like that glue has finally let go of the ball in your pitot speedo! :wink:
EGAD, In my haste, I forgot to add the Hollywood tip!!

What a clumsy error! :oops:

BTW, I recently viewed your Slomo video again -- it gets better each time! For those who haven't seen it, this is a must view:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=38060
I understand a full length version will be coming to the big screen soon! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
Thanks Ron for the great article. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. Nice to have a friend like you. Hope you are enjoying your granddaughter!! Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
EGAD, In my haste, I forgot to add the Hollywood tip!!

What a clumsy error! :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Love the idea of the Hollywood tip! 8) :)