Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not used my i 9 for over a year. I was demo to a friend who is interested in buying one or a Revolution (our other boat). We had inflated it to what we think was about 3 PSI. We also inflated the side and rear areas to about 6 to 10 PSI. As my friend peddled the boat, it was obvious that the main hull was under inflated. I put an pump on the boat. It had kicked in to higher pressure mode at 4.5 PSI. All of a sudden there were massive bubbles out from the bottom of the boat. It appeared as if safety plugs had blow out? Is this correct--are there over inflation plugs in the main hull of a 4 to 5 year old 9I? If so how can we replace them. Right now the boat is not usable....I don't think that these are directly related to the scuppers.

Thank you for any information

Bob Austin
Pensacola, Fl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think what you're doing is putting air into the front plug - that is simply a drain for the bilge area (do not put air into this area, it doesn't hold any pressure - it's just the bottom skin layer area, and that plug is so that the boat more easily folds, and for draining water out from inside of that bilge compartment)

- there are only 3 air chambers on i series kayaks - all three inputs where you hook up the pump are at the rear of the kayak - (2 side tubes, and the floor)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier

Thank you for the reply! I understand your expertise in this boat--and I have only inflated it once in the past. I have really goofed up the boat then. (I have owned inflatables for over 50 years). The valve in the front is not spring loaded as the three in the back, but does have a one way flap to allow air in under the outer cap--as many low pressure valves in inflatables do. (I had a very hard time getting these valve spring inserts to turn and pop out--is there some lubrication necessary for these?)

The boat sat overnight. The starboard hull tube holds air pressure well. The port hull and the floor do not hold any air pressure. The thru the hull drain tube on the port side is broken just inside of the outer skin of the bottom. The starboard side drain tube is intact.

The reason we tried to add air to the front plug was the the boat sagging in the middle and water was coming onto the deck as my friend tried to peddle it. This makes me think that the port hull tube was leaking before we tried to put some air into the forward plug.

What will be involved in repairing this boat? I am very disappointed, since this is only the second time I have inflated the boat (Had a second cardiac bypass, shortly after it was purchased), and it is now unusable. I had purchased the Revolution and i9 after visiting with Hobie Alter on his Power Cat in the Broughtons (BC) during the summer I purchased the boat.

It appears as if both the floor and the port hull tube are loosing air around this broken drain tube!

The inflation pump supplied with the boat is broken--the cap on the end of the pump looks like it was put together with hot glue or some other substance--and comes right off the pump.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Bob Austin
Pensacola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:47 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Bob - You will need to have your dealer file a warranty claim for you. Inflating the forward chamber is what popped the scupper tubes apart and potentially damaged other seams as well. We will need to get your kayak back here to be looked at and hopefully repaired. Your dealer will be able to assist with all of this. Please contact me directly via email if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bcastile

Thank you for your response. It is a bit frightening that you refer to the possibility that the boat may "be hopefully repaired". This is a boat which has been inflated twice.

There appears to be no question that I did the wrong thing. However, I hope that Hobie has put a "warning" on this front "drain". As I noted I have been dealing with inflatable boats for 50 years, and there are many which have a similar valve which is used for inflation. There was no instruction with the boat when I purchased it new, and I am quite sure I put air in this chamber the other time I inflated it. (Maybe that is why it is I was not happy with its performance then!)

You have lost a customer (the person I was showing the boat to) and I suspect he will tell his friends about how the boat handled and the leak etc.

If there is not a "Warning" on this valve currently I strongly suggest you place one there
I see that there is now a "warning" on this site, but going back, I purchased my boat in 2008, and the warning on the site (which many do not read) was posted in 2010!

Yes, I will take the boat to my dealer as soon as I can--but I suspect a 2008 boat will not be under warrantee...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to make a correction--in finding my paper work, I did find the manual--it does mention the 3 aft inflation valves, but does not show or mention the forward port as a place not to air up--only " On the right side of the firewall is a drain plug. Simply lift up the Kayak .....

There is no firewall in the 9i, and not photo of the plug. Yes, my bad at this point, but Hobie directions do not make clear or mention the results of air into this chamber.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The boat has been taken to our local dealer where it was purchased in 2008. Brandon has been sent an e-mail with the details. Hopefully the boat can be repaired.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a detailed post in the thread about "Kudos to Hobie......". So far I have not been told what Hobie found, even though the boat was sent to them over 6 weeks ago.
Hopefully I can get the boat back before a trip I have planed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called today to check on the status of my i9, and could not get Brandon, but "Jac?" was who I connected to. He knew nothing about my boat, but did trace down it had been shipped last week, and arrived at my dealer (Key Sailing) late Friday PM. I called Key Sailing (Pensacola Beach) and they confirmed that the boat was there.

Hobie repaired the scuppers (which apparently were the only damage), along with new control lines, and a nice white laminated plague on the bow, which identifies that opening as a bilge only--do not put air into this fitting.

Thanks to Hobie, who charged nothing for the repair and upgrades. The only cost was shipping.

It is great to deal with a company who stands behind their products, even if some of us do dumb things!

I will spread this word on other forums. Great advertising for Hobie.