Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing Event Advice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking for idea and advice on how to organize a 'sailing day.' Where I regularly put in, the most I've ever seen is three other small sailboats tooling around. It's rarely the same, so I know there are others out there. Also, as I drive around, I see a LOT of sailboats sitting in carports, behind a house, or poking out of a shed. I'm betting that if I can get a decent number of sailors together, I may be able to jump-start the sailing community.

Let me know how folks have gone about organizing such a thing. I've only a small group of folks I can currently pull from to assist. My budget will come out of pocket and I'm not exactly flush. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, I live in S. Louisiana. We are on the tial-end of the season, but the wind's more consistent and the water's still somewhat warm.

Post subject: Re: Sailing Event Advice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello,

We've had good luck using Craig's List. Post in the activities as well as the boats for sale section. Sounds like your location might benefit from fliers around the launch area as well.

Find a local boating shop to sponsor some kind of BBQ. Cheap, like hot dogs. Set up the Q, and make a family day out of it. Getting the families involved is key. Have a central location where people can meet and gather information. Make sure that you acknowledge everyone. I guarantee that a lot of those boats are sitting idle because people feel like they're on the "outside" of some sort of sailing fraternity. Make 'em feel welcome!

You might even do well to print a couple of fliers and canvass the houses where you know the boats are.

Also see if a local sailing /boating shot, sailing club/yacht club, will line up a "guest expert" that knows the area, and the boats. We had the Coast Guard come and talk at a sail day for example. We hosted a "Safety Seminar" one time where we taught everyone how to right their cats. It was wildly popular, and we had about 50 people show up on short notice.

Do it on the cheap and have fun. It's like organizing a race. Just tell everyone what's going to happen, put a little organization into it, and people will show up and have a good time. The second time you do it, it will be even better!

Post subject: Re: Sailing Event Advice
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great suggestions. Thanks!

...now I just need to remember where I saw all the boats that keep catching my eye.