Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought an Adventure Island back in June of this year. Have had a blast with it.

Now I am confronted by the opportunity to buy a Tandem Island at a great deal. I have friends that would like to try sailing and this would be enable me to take them out. But, I have a dozen kayaks already. Too many boats. Not enough time. But...

Please offer me a reason not to buy this one. Thanks. I need your help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let me know where it's located and if it's a really good deal, I'll buy it!
Does that help?? lol :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, it might. I'm doing all I can not to pull the trigger on this one. If I don't, might as well pass it on to someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easy peasy, just sell off some of your now unused kayaks to make room for a pigeon pair of Islands. You know you want to :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But I use them all, sometimes. And each one has a specific purpose. Although I can afford it and have plenty of room to store it.

You can see that I'm at odds with myself here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think a key factor is your age and fitness. The TI is a BIG boat compared to the AI. I bought an AI about 6 yrs ago to EXTEND my ability to do the things I like to do (fish & kayak-camp trips.) While the TI is a successful design, it is not the right fit for me.

Also, in recent years I have been reducing my fleet--down from 9 to 6 currently. I'm tight on space--I still have a strip-built kayak in the family room. (And, that is not counting a folding kayak & 2 whitewater inflatables kept out in the Rockies.)

So, it is really sort of a common sense decision--do you really need another boat?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the help, unfortunately, I can handle a TI all by myself. Plus, I'll be trailering it most of the time anyway.

Surely there is some valid reason why I shouldn't buy this boat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,
You know there is no valid reason to not own a TI. :wink:
Just go and get it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well thanks, that's a big help.

But...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Then it is decided...post pictures when you pick it up! Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's a good buy, and you can afford it, you can always sell it on if it doesn't work out. Perhaps at a profit. Look at it as an investment. ( I have probably used that 'investment' card once too many time on the wife. She's now wise to it. :roll: )

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom I'm not helping you here. I am so happy with my TI that I got rid of my other three boats and just kept the TI.

Like Slaughter said "you can always sell it again".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found these arguments unconvincing. Therefore I will have to buy the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom:
I think Geordie has done what most of the rest of us have done, I used to have 4 boats now I just have the TI. We find it so fun and versatile we never took any of the other boats out so we ended up selling them.
Unfortunately my fun must end for health reasons I have to give up the sport, so now I have to sell my TI as well. I broke my back a few years ago and have very little mobility, kayaking and sailing aggrevates my condition so I have to give it up (maybe I'll take up knitting). It's funny really since I car top my TI, it's not the lifting that gets me (no problem there), it the activity on my back (ie.. turning, twisting, etc), the docs are saying I only have a limited number strokes left in my back (joints are all shot), and advise I give it up.
It's too bad your not close, you would give the Ultimate Tandem Island a good home.
Bottom line though is the TI is the ultimate boat out on the market today (and I believe the most popular), the AI is also nice (as you know), but the TI can do way more and can hold 3-4 adults (and lots of gear (beer), way more than I ever imagined) as long as you don't go crazy with it.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Tom:
I think Geordie has done what most of the rest of us have done, I used to have 4 boats now I just have the TI. We find it so fun and versatile we never took any of the other boats out so we ended up selling them.
Unfortunately my fun must end for health reasons I have to give up the sport, so now I have to sell my TI as well. I broke my back a few years ago and have very little mobility, kayaking and sailing aggrevates my condition so I have to give it up (maybe I'll take up knitting). It's funny really since I car top my TI, it's not the lifting that gets me (no problem there), it the activity on my back (ie.. turning, twisting, etc), the docs are saying I only have a limited number strokes left in my back (joints are all shot), and advise I give it up.
It's too bad your not close, you would give the Ultimate Tandem Island a good home.
Bottom line though is the TI is the ultimate boat out on the market today (and I believe the most popular), the AI is also nice (as you know), but the TI can do way more and can hold 3-4 adults (and lots of gear (beer), way more than I ever imagined) as long as you don't go crazy with it.
Bob

If I had most of the kayaks liquidated that have been accumulating the past 15 years, I'd be all over your TI.