Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello from Sweden!
I am a new member on the forum looking for a used Hobie Wave. It is more or less impossible to find a used Wave in Sweden and I have been searcing on different boatsites in the US. I found a couple of used Waves in Florida at a decent price and was planning to buy one and ship the boat to Sweden. After some research I find out that there is a EU directive saying that all boats over 2 m must have a CE certificate. This could get very expensive and if you dont you could get a lot of trouble...Then I started looking for a used one somewhere in Europe inside the EU. But it is very hard to find even in Spain or Greece, where I thougt they would be popular on the beaches and resorts. So please, if anyone have an idea where too look or find a used Wave in Europe I would be very happy! Even happier if you have one for sale :D
Best regards!
Hans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hate to imagine what the shipping costs would be, but as far as the CE certificate is concerned, I'd contact mmiller and find out from what year, if ever, a US made Wave had a CE certificate. There are reciprocal trade agreements between the US and Sweden and many US products have a CE certificate, even if it is not affixed to the product.

However, I've got to say, having been through the thrills of importing and exporting, by the time you figure your time, you might do better buying a new one.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim, thanks for your answer!
I have considered to buy a new Hobie Wave, but they are pretty expensive in Sweden. As I remember the price in Sweden for a new one is like 10 000 USD. In the US I have seen prices between 1000-2000 $ for a preowned in good condition. I dont know what the cost for shipping is or if it is based on weight or space in a container. But if it is even up to 1000-1500 $ i think it would be a good deal. I did not fully understood this you wrote: "There are reciprocal trade agreements between the US and Sweden and many US products have a CE certificate, even if it is not affixed to the product." When i was reading about the CE certificate in some forums they said that even if the same model is sold in Sweden and have a CE certifikate you have to get a new CE certifiacate for a similar product if you import it to the EU, becouse it would be counted as a new product that has to get approved and get the CE certificate. I dont know if this is right or wrong and would be gratefull if you could write a little more and explain what this "reciprocal trade agreements" are and if it is possible to get a CE certifikate without paying a lot of money.
Best regards!
Hans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let's say I'm a manufacturer of widgets based in the US. I have a product that is tested in the US, but I'm not terribly interested in the European market. As a result, I do not submit it for independent CE testing.

However, recognizing that I'll get some European sales, I submit my US testing to European authorities, citing to my US testing and the appropriate trade agreement. CE recognizes my testing as valid, and in conformity of the appropriate CE testing, and grants me a CE certificate.

And I'm simplifying like crazy here. For a manufacturer, this is a long, drawn-out process.

Hobie US may already have a CE certificate for US made Waves. That's why I suggested you contact mmiller. He would probably know who to contact within US Hobie. If that's the case, that will be all you need. Second approach would be whether US Hobie Waves are made to the same specifications as European Waves.

I'd also contact <[email protected]>. This is the business affairs section of the US Embassy, and part of their job is to assist in exporting and importing to the US. You might also contact http://www.europages.co.uk/CARGO-CENTER-SWEDEN-KB/bch-EUR-SWE013193-00101-25/company-information.html which specializes in importing vehicles into Sweden. I've never worked with them, but I'd contact them and see what sort of cost they're talking about to do this.

A CE certificate is just one part of the import/export process. It's hard to do this without hiring an expert.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all information Jim!
I will contact mmiller to get further information about the CE issue for the Wave. I have a contact in Florida that could help me with the inspection of the boat and the shipping procedure, and friends who import old American cars to Sweden who could help me with the import process. It is just this CE certification thing that actually worries me. If I could find a Wave in good condition in Europe for 3000-3500$ this would be my first choice. My total budget for a boat is up to 4500$, but I dont mind if it would be cheaper.
//Hans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

The US made Wave is not CE certified. We sell Hobie Europe kits of hulls and parts to make the boat in France... Their version would be CE.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you, Matt.

If the US Hobie is not CE certified in Europe, if you buy a Hobie in this country, it would need to go through the testing.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tank you both Matt and Jim for your information!
I am pretty sure that if you import a US Wave to Sweden for private use that have no CE certifikate, no authority in Sweden would care about it becouse they have no controlsystem or official register for small boats. But it could be problems when you try to insure the boat and if you try to sell it later you could be responsible for costs for later CE certifiaktion as the
importer of the boat to the EU. I talked to a person yesterday on a party who had imported a motorboat from the US that have no CE certifikate. After a couple of years he sold the boat to one of our nabors in Norway who is not in the EU and dont need the CE certifikate. I will try to find one in Europe first during the winter and if it is impossible I maybe consider the option importing and take a chans without this CE certifikation if the costs for transporation is not to expensive. A couples of days a go I emailed a lot of companys in Germany, Spain, France and Greece who sells Hobie cat and asked if they could help me find a used Wave. I hope I will be lycky to find one some day :P
//Hans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Hans,

I know your post is over a year old, but I am also in Sweden looking for a Hobie Wave. Did you manage to get one 2nd hand and if so, where from? Thanks.

Regards,
Arman.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Arman.
I have emailed you.
Looks like I have to sell my Hobie Wave with wheels and jib kit .
Lying Spain

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have emailed Hans and Arman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all, i know i am late to the party, but i am also looking for a used hobie in Greece. searching around the internet yielded nothing for me. any help is much appreciated.