Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The problem with most of the current marine batteries is their weight and with my use not a long half life, Amp Hours for a good day's fishing and travel to and from the spot.

For my Freedom Hawk Pathfinder/Bassyak, I have two of the 8AWI 32 Amp Hour batteries set up in a parallel manner and after a little under two hours of running at about half speed, I'm lucky to have a little more than half of the power left. It takes me about two hours to get to where I want to fish, so I have very little time left for trolling and casting under power.

The 80 Amp Hour Lithium battery might work for a full day, and the 100 Amp hour should do it. The weight should be about the same as with my current dual battery system.

The Lithium batteries appear to offer a good answer to the weight problem and more lasting power to run an electric motor than the current marine batteries.

They are not cheap, but appear to have a longer use life re years of use and should provide more hours of use on the water:

Below is a link to what appears to be a better option for those of with kayaks, wanting some electrical power.

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/pro ... batteries/

Does anyone have experience with 12 Volt Lithium Batteries and good sources for these batteries.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you haven't run across it yet here's an interesting thread from another forum:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.p ... tery-power

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be very careful when it comes to lithium ion batteries..I'm not exactly a chemist but I do know that these things can vent highly explosive gasses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gatorling wrote:
I'd be very careful when it comes to lithium ion batteries..I'm not exactly a chemist but I do know that these things can vent highly explosive gasses.

I don't think so ......... the lithium magnesium batteries for my Torqeedo is entirely enclosed with no venting that I have seen so I don't think they give off the gas like a lead core/acid battery ........ and I haven't seen any warnings