Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fellow Cat Enthusiast...Looks like we are setting up for a great event June 23/24 with record attendance and Jumpin' John's BBQ last cook-ever (The awesome grill will be for sale for $1000 at the end of the event)! Check out those people who have already registered at: www.2012rrr.shutterfly.com.

You don't want to miss it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are these dates for 2013?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These are the 2012 dates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The RRR site has now been updated with 2013 dates. I've talked with a couple of folks that went last June. Word is this is a really fun event. I'm going to try to make it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is coming up. Right now I plan on taking my 18. Hoping for a class,if not I will take my 16 again.
http://sailrrr.shutterfly.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2014 dates are up!!

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

AntonLargiader wrote:
2014 dates are up!!

https://sailrrr.shutterfly.com/

This is coming up. Super fun. Ha just saw you are a BMW mechanic. Just got my R100 on the road today.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The car is being loaded and we will do our best to be there for the skipper's meeting! Look for the Beverly Hillbillies' red Jetta wagon. Actually I think it won't be that bad; a few things strapped to the Hobie and a car top carrier.

This is a grand experiment in car-camping with our toddler. She loves water, so hopefully that will go a long way toward making her feel comfortable there.

See you all tomorrow!

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a weekend! Approaching the site, and for the first few hours, there was simply NO WIND. Glassy calm. We drifted out into the river and when there was a bit of a breeze most of the boats used it to go back to shore. Then, in the course of about ten minutes the wind went from nothing to single-trap conditions. Boats came back out, and soon we were racing and I was wishing I had crew. By the end of the four races, I was exhausted and had learned a lot.

The biggest problem for me was overstanding the laylines. Well, that and the constant tangle of lines that I was dealing with. Most tacks had me unwrapping lines from around my legs afterward. Next was that my stick (the stock white fiberglass one) just wasn't long enough for singlehanding; I couldn't lean back all the way unless I was at the rear of the tramp, where I usually am with crew, and I couldn't go more than about halfway up the tramp at all if I was on the wire. OTOH I generally had good boat speed and pointed well; I typically made very good ground on the rest of the fleet on the downwind legs. Starts were mostly awful - I didn't even have a watch - but I got much better as the weekend went on, and in my last race I started very, very well (then overstood the windward mark, then capsized...).

That evening was the catered BBQ dinner with everyone gathered outside by the garage discussing the day's events. Maybe there were sixty people in all? Just guessing. What a wonderful evening, made possible by the hard work and generous hospitality of our hosts and the regatta staff.

The wind stayed strong all night, and in the morning there was a bit of a lull but by the time we were out on the water it was every bit as strong as it was on Saturday and climbed throughout the day. Toward the end of race 2 (of 3) the wind picked up a bit more and I eventually capsized, more from fatigue than anything else. Heading back in after that it picked up even more. The H21 pitchpoled. There was a cluster (probably at the downwind mark) with all sorts of boats hitting each other, a sail pierced, a skipper tossed into the water, etc. Boats running downwind onto the beach were ending up five to ten feet from the waterline. The wind picked up even more, and the H21 sailed for home and capsized again; last we heard a CG boat was on the way. It was windy like that the whole way home, too.

This weekend was also an experiment in car-camping for us and our 20 month old. That part went really well, too, aided by the constant sunshine, lack of rain, and great company. Oh, and a resort-like setting with gorgeous views of the upper Rappahannock, let's not forget that! Little Vivien played in the water and walked around in an exciting new location and even slept well. I would have loved to take her sailing but this just wasn't the weekend for that!

It was a great weekend for racing, though, and there were a lot of really good sailors there. My hat is off to Warren, who can't actually weigh a whole 150 pounds, who singlehanded his blue 16 far better than I in those conditions. I have a few pics, mostly from Sunday afternoon, that I will post as soon as I can.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages