Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I just got caught... The manual for my Lowrance Elite 4 DSI states

Quote:

Saving Screenshots
You can save screenshots to a microSD card by inserting a microSD card into the card slot and pressing Power and then Zoom (+).

Er, well, yes. I bought a blank micro SD card, with the intention of capturing screenshots of the trails I save, so they can then be deleted to make room for more. Sounds logical doesn't it...

Well no. The moment I removed the Navionics Silver card from the micro SD slot, the screen went blank, and the "blank" map of Australia appeared.

I rang a local big Lowrance/Navionics dealers who confirmed that yes, you lose your charts when you swap cards, so you CANNOT make a screenshot of your trails. Presumably the ONLY screenshots you can therefore ever get are of the simulator images, like those in the manual.

Thank goodness I only wasted $3.99 on the blank micro SD card... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Well I just got caught... The manual for my Lowrance Elite 4 DSI states

Quote:

Saving Screenshots
You can save screenshots to a microSD card by inserting a microSD card into the card slot and pressing Power and then Zoom (+).

Er, well, yes. I bought a blank micro SD card, with the intention of capturing screenshots of the trails I save, so they can then be deleted to make room for more. Sounds logical doesn't it...

Well no. The moment I removed the Navionics Silver card from the micro SD slot, the screen went blank, and the "blank" map of Australia appeared.

I rang a local big Lowrance/Navionics dealers who confirmed that yes, you lose your charts when you swap cards, so you CANNOT make a screenshot of your trails. Presumably the ONLY screenshots you can therefore ever get are of the simulator images, like those in the manual.

Thank goodness I only wasted $3.99 on the blank micro SD card... :oops:

Darn that sucks. It sort of makes you wonder why they bother telling you that this is even possible other than possibly screen shots of the sounder immage, does that still work?

I also read that in the manual but then thought I would not want to take the card out when on the water with an expensive Nav card,wet hands and salt water (being a fumble fingers) I might not have a good result.

Thanks Tony, at least you saved me from trying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually Geordie, I suspect it WOULD work for sounder images, and there is provision for backtracking the images, but as you said, mucking round with tiny microSD cards on the water with salty fingers etc etc would be a recipe for disaster. If you permanently kept a blank card in the unit (eg no map data) it would make sense, and no doubt Lowrance would say that is what they meant it for... :|

I have my card slot covered with gaffer tape, and only remove it after washing my hands, with the TI safely secure in my garage. No way out on the water

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found it easier to just remove data overlay, and take a photo of the screen when back in the garage, and then tidy it up in Photoshop like this. This shows me sailing to windward (down the screen) against a strong current which was getting stronger by the minute. About 30 minutes later, windward progress would no longer be possible, and then the only option would be to stay outside in the ocean for 2-3 more hours until the tide turned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ouch. My Humminbird has 2 slots. One for the Navonics maps and the other for data recording/screenshots etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually CGM, now that I know the drill, it is no problem to sit next to the TI and scroll through the trails, zoom in where required, and take snapshots which I can easily transfer from the camera. The card slot on my Lowrance is taped over and also inside a spray shield (cut down clear canister), so getting to a second slot wouldn't have been practical anyway.