Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pimp my Revo 11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have just taken delivery of the Revo 11 and started drilling madly. I thought I would post some pictures of what I am doing. So some general ones to start with whilst stuff like the Geartrac is in transit from the US.

I have a Humminbird on the way so have set about the battery whilst it is in the post. I have the normal 12v sealed cell in a waterproof divers box with fuse (and spare) inside and a waterproof connector on the end.

I am mounting this through the rear hatch to leave the option of an Evolve battery in the front.

The battery is going to sit in a tray which is silicone or sikaflex fixed to the hull so the battery can drop into it through the hatch.

It is quite a snug fit but i might put a bungee over the top for those upside down events. I will finish with some liberon extreme varnish before mounting.

Next things on the list are:
Dry Crate - idea from http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.com/
Anchor trolley - now installed and initial tests work ok

Geartrac - on the boat from the States at the moment
Side imaging Humminbird - in the post
Transducer mount - Ram have anew one out in November so we have to wait for that

Evolove drive - Having had a frantic pedal up the Thames last weekend in mega currents (when i got home and looked up the flow rates they were on red and advising no self powered vessels out) so I figure that the evolve will be a good safety item. I am going down to Poole at the weekend to take a look.

So more info as it happens

Post subject: Re: Pimp my Revo 11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like fun. I have a Revo 11 coming soon and I appreciate your pics and updates on your progress.

Southman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another Revo11 owner here, and I like the direction you're going in!
The battery box is pretty neat! I went ghetto-fab and sacrificed a gear bucket for the rear hatch to hold my battery.

Have you been out on the water with the live-well? I have a homemade livewell (5gallon bucket) in a crate and that does the trick, but it feels like it really weighs the yak down. Also, reaching back to the rod holders behind the livewell can be tricky in open water (I fish Atlantic side of south Florida), practice in calm water!

Keep it up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember that one gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. A 5 gallon live bait well is 40 lbs which adds to launch/loading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you want to go smaller for that dry-crate idea, you can get the smaller version of those pet-food containers at your local pet store...I have their small-sized container and it holds several medium-sized tackle trays with ease, plus room for my other goodies. I have been trying to cut down on some of my gear...this has helped do so.

Here it is in the back of my Outback...I have a triple rod-holder mounted to it. Easy to reach over it to get to rods or behind it if I carry a small cooler or bait-bucket.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine is actually a dry box as opposed to a live well. And yes made out of a £15 pet food container.

I shall take some pictures this weekend when we are out for sea trials - it has only been on the river so far.

CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Elgeebee wrote:
If you want to go smaller for that dry-crate idea, you can get the smaller version of those pet-food containers at your local pet store...I have their small-sized container and it holds several medium-sized tackle trays with ease, plus room for my other goodies. I have been trying to cut down on some of my gear...this has helped do so.

Here it is in the back of my Outback...I have a triple rod-holder mounted to it. Easy to reach over it to get to rods or behind it if I carry a small cooler or bait-bucket.

I need a big one for all my sandwiches!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Still waiting for the delayed fish finder and yak attack rails so took it for a paddle down at Poole Harbour. To practice anchoring etc.
It's amazingly stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAd0jnMMKQ0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WOW thats some calm water, sure thats ocean and not a lake? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You didn't think i was going to try it out in waves did you!

Anyway just to cheer you up this weekend is forecast to be 20kts and 2 degrees C.

Here are some pics of the battery box ready to go in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nice.
Question: what is that sticker beside your compass? is it some sort of ID tag?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jcanracer wrote:
nice.

Given that I cant remember my MMSI number and Call Sign i have stuck them on the boat.

In the UK (i think it is universal) the VHF hand held radios have a Tango (T) call sign as they move from boat to boat. That is the T***** bit.

The DSC units have a digital identifier that has to be registered with the Coastguard. That is the MMSI number. Maritime Mobile Service Identity. !

CC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh I see, makes a good deal of sense. Across the pond here in the US most kayaks do not need to be registered unless they are powered or exceed a certain length (not sure of the regulation).
My hobie isnt registered or anything like that but in case of emergencies I always carry a personal gps locator (http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chopcat wrote:
Jcanracer wrote:
nice.

Given that I cant remember my MMSI number and Call Sign i have stuck them on the boat.

In the UK (i think it is universal) the VHF hand held radios have a Tango (T) call sign as they move from boat to boat. That is the T***** bit.

The DSC units have a digital identifier that has to be registered with the Coastguard. That is the MMSI number. Maritime Mobile Service Identity. !

Hello,
I have two revo's with evolves and I tow one and when the battery is dead,I go to the second one. Flipping from one kayak to the next at 5mph can be tricky. Ok ,I'm kidding ,the second one is my wifes. In Oregon and other states , you need to register your kayak if you add power of any type, However,Ive not seen any documentation from Hobie pretaining to Manuf.certificate. So we provided an explantion of our purchase for the marine board. Although ,the evolve system is hard to spot,we decided to give the state $ 150.00 which seems a bit inflated. However,the evolve system is a dream come true. Mounted on the rudder,they provide incredible versatility.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

okpete wrote:
Chopcat wrote:
Jcanracer wrote:
nice.

Hello,
I have two revo's with evolves and I tow one and when the battery is dead,I go to the second one. Flipping from one kayak to the next at 5mph can be tricky. Ok ,I'm kidding ,the second one is my wifes. In Oregon and other states , you need to register your kayak if you add power of any type, However,Ive not seen any documentation from Hobie pretaining to Manuf.certificate. So we provided an explantion of our purchase for the marine board. Although ,the evolve system is hard to spot,we decided to give the state $ 150.00 which seems a bit inflated. However,the evolve system is a dream come true. Mounted on the rudder,they provide incredible versatility.

What are your impressions of the evolve rudder mounted when using the mirage drive. Some say that the rudder authority is pretty poor? I would like to mount mine on the rudder to give assistance to the mirage some times.