Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

VTK, awesome job..

I don't quite understand the pose in shot #2. How and why did you get the TI to balance on the cart with the kickstand in the down position?

Seems the hull should be resting on the bow when unsupported, with the cart properly installed.

How exactly do you leave the TI stored?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I store the boat on a hoist I made with a few blocks and cleats. It has a 6 to 1 advantage and it jacks the boat up to the roof of that carport. In that picture the boat is still on the slings that hold it up. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

do you stow the cart on your boat? do you strap it to the stern? do you loose any storage space?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

VTKuhnDawg.
when constructing your cart, how did you locate the axle within the 2" pvc piping to ensure a good secure fit?
many thanks for your post, it looks like a simple yet well designed cart which centres under the ti, thus carrying the load.
in your pics, i see a bit of white water in the background. how do you find launching in the surf and more importantly, coming in through breaking waves?
tw.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Clint,
Normally just bike lock the cart somewhere near the launch, but you could place it upside down on the bow.

Trippingwet,
For the axle I got creative with a combination of PVC pipe reducers and fittings, all from Homedepot, spent lots of time in the plumbing isle. For the surf, it is easy to get out, but coming back in I employee the "Human Drift Sock". First time out I broke all the outriggers, now I have a ski rope and watch the sets behind me and when the wave is about to crash, I bail out the back and hold on to the the ski handle. It keeps the baot perpendicular to the waves adn then I push it in the rest of the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
For the surf, it is easy to get out, but coming back in I employee the "Human Drift Sock". First time out I broke all the outriggers, now I have a ski rope and watch the sets behind me and when the wave is about to crash, I bail out the back and hold on to the the ski handle. It keeps the baot perpendicular to the waves adn then I push it in the rest of the way.

Is this with the Amas extended out or in?

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the outriggers were deployed and a thigh high wave washed me into a shallow sand bar and they hit the bottom and it split the aluminum bar. I have not tried a surf reentry with the ski rope and outriggers retracted, might be a better method!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really like that cart and I'm thinking about copying your design. Where did you buy the axle? I can't find a 1" aluminum rod anywhere.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking of building one of these too.. Try Grainger for the rod..

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rod-St ... Pid=search

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

VT,
I am a brand new TI owner but have been a Getaway owner for sometime. I have a set of Cat Trax for my Getaway and saw your design and thought I might just use the wheels from the Cat Trax to build your design cart. By any chance did you ever post a step by step of the build along with a list of parts used? Know I am asking a lot but just taking a shot. Thanks. Dom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

VT,

I know this is asking a lot and that this thread is pretty old but by any chance did you ever prepare and post a parts list and step by step how to? As always, any and all replies are appreciated. Thanks. Dom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Big thank you to VT. Was able to duplicate his work based off of the few pics he posted. Still not done but close. I have not glued anything together yet so I am going to pull it all apart and document exactly what is needed if anyone is interested. Dom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Hobie TI dolly with Tuff Tires. How do the Tuff Tires cope with soft sand - difficult or impossible?

I'm wondering first if I need tires for soft sand, and if so, whether these will fit and save me some money......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a set of Cat-Trax for my Getaway. I am pretty sure I am going to have to order a set of 21cm Big Balloon tires from the place in Florida for $85 each. The tuff tires dig too much. Dom

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Dom,

I'm definitely interested in what you came up with.

Looks like you went with Tuff Tires over the FL SailCraft balloon tires?

Also, did you think about incorporating the official cradles at all?

https://goo.gl/Yal1q0