Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any ideas or suggestions for making a set of beach boat blocks for Hobie 18 to protect hull.

Thanks,
Jeb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeb wrote:
Any ideas or suggestions for making a set of beach boat blocks for Hobie 18 to protect hull.

Thanks,
Jeb

Hi Jeb, Are you looking for Hull chocks to rest under your sterns while the boat is sitting on your beach wheels or are you looking for something more permanent i.e., something you can use to raise your boat up off the sand while not in use?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

go to a good sewing fabirc store and find the most dense, hard foam they have... or go online and there's lots of places....

get something between 2 and 4 inches thick.

cut to size... use PL construction adhesive (Lowes) to glue it to a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 lumber... and set your sterns on them.... same for the bows.

few bucks and few hours and you're good for a few years.

i've been doing it for the year and works great... you want a closed cell foam, one that doesn't absorb water.

figure out a way to put a bungee and catch on it, bungee over the hull.

i use this under my hobie 18 sunbrella blue cover....

sand really isn't so bad, it's the summer on the beach when the weedwacker guy comes around and all that green wet grass flies into my hulls, sticks and dries on... you can sail all day and it isn't coming off....

raising the boat and covering really alleviates that.

cheers, Rob.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a small section of PVC pipe inside an old foam swimming noodle. To raise the sterns off the beach. Simple and super cheap, but only lifts them maybe an inch or two.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi

You'll need a length of 2X8 (pressure treated is best) ... a length of 4X6 (again Presure treated). some 1/2==> 1" styrene ... some nylon carpet.

I make my blocks 14"==> 16" long ... so cut wood to length ... attach 4X6 to 2X8 w/ the 6" being verical ... drill holes for bungie or loop of line/rope ... cover w/ styrene then cover w/ carpet ... (I use galvanized roofing nails) ...

... that keeps the boat up off the ground enough to slide the beach-wheels under the bows ...

... and YES ... I'm one of those guys w/ a weedwacker ... and I tell everyone ... feel free to move your boat and trim the grass around your boat, yourself ... but if you don't ... it will be done by me AND/BUT I will not move your boat if the grass gets too high and needs to be cut. Now if I'm there and have my weedwacker w/ me that day and YOU move your boat then I'll cut the grass then and you can put your boat back in place and tie it down ... (to the ground anchors that I installed for you!!! no catamaran is allowed to remain on our beach/lawn/field w/o being tied down!!!)

Signed
RHYC Catamaran Fleet Captain

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, Harry, I do understand... I'm the Fleet Capt for Fleet 70 and Ocean Springs Yacht Club (hosted the 2011 NACs and doing mid-Winters in April)....

... and yes I installed 80% of our tie downs after <hurricane> Katrina and I get mad when folks don't tie down their boat 'cause it'll damage everyone elses....

... nothing personal about you weedwhacking... but if you don't cover your boat or lift it up or move it... indeed the grass makes a mess of the hulls. Nice to have grass on the beach, however... and the hose reaches right over to where I tie down, so although she lives on the beach almost year round... she gets a bath after every sail, is up on foam blocks, and under a nice cover.

in fact, I'm looking forward to going out this weekend!

Cheers man, and here' s to sailing!
-Rob.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I take 5 gallon buckets with lids, fill them with sand when I get to the beach and lay them on their sides. Placing the boat on them causes them to collapse slightly into a nicely shaped cradle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Harry, please elaborate on what you're using for the ground anchors.

Thanks,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok, here are some pictures of my beach blocks. Thanks to Harry for the motivation!

My parts list:

Feet: 2"x6"x15"
Base: 4"x4"x15"
Tops: 2"x8"x15"
3" Deck Screws
Foam: 2 layers of 3/4" styrofoam (Lowes)
30-min epoxy (holds the styrofoam to the wood)
Contact Cement (wood areas only, I quickly learned that contact cement eats styrofoam)
Indoor/Outdoor carpet
Monel 1/2" Staples

About $50 total cost.

I'll be putting an anchor on the outside of each block to go across the hulls, and another directly below the dolphin striker for a security chain.

Mark