Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

The PA12 trolley system was designed to be tight upon install. Our showroom boat seems as though the bungee was pulled tight, but Morgan and the engineers insist it loosens up in a short time. It did. The idea was to make the kit work correctly as designed and not rely on installation technique of the user. That may be trying too hard on our part.

Jbernier wrote:
we will update the 2 half hitches to a bowline from now on.

We are going to what I call a "halyard knot". Includes a safety knot at the end... easy to tie and holds... plus uses less line.

If you want to update your system...

Tie a simple knot at the tip of the line. Pass through the ring and then tie a figure eight with the tail tight to the figure eight.

-----------------
I did some quick measuring...

The distance between the outside of the cheek pulleys is 138.5", along the outside of the rail (277" round trip) the long way.

The line is 22 feet (264")
Simple half hitches take about 3" (-6")
The rings are 1.5" (3")
The shock Cord is 12" (stretches to 21" when fastened to the rings)

Satic 264-6+3+12=273" / 282 when the bungee is stretched.

Tight around the outside of the hull, but should work by looking at the math.

Boats do vary in length and a slightly shorter line would cause issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

You have to be kidding. Why not just add the 1-2 feet of rope that is needed so that it is long enough to fit propely? Why do you expect a customer to use three weightlifters to pull the rope tight enough just to make a knot? Besides that, there needs to be some play in the line because you need to pull the rope over the gunnel and twist it around another molded eyelet post, that you installed on the mounting board, to keep the trolly line from moving while in use. Read the directions. That is the way Hobie Cat wrote in the directions that this trolly is supposed to work.

While you are reading the directions again please explain where it says that my kayak may have two "hexagon brass pieces" along the center of the boat to attach the two molded eyelets that keep the trolly line along side the kayak and out of your way. If it had them, as the Hobie Cat directions state, then we would not have to drill holes in the site of the new kayak to install the PA12 Hobie Cat Trolly. At the time I was originally trying to install the trolly my boat had just been created at the factory less than two weeks earlier so you cannot say that this is an upgrade that the new kayaks would have had. After all, you do make a big deal that the PA12 is ready for the trolly to be installed without drilling holes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lunker, why not just return the anchor trolly kit to Hobie and get your money back. Your expertise seems to imply you could rig up your own and have it the way you want it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no desire of returning the trolly kit. I bought a new boat and wanted the trolly that was made specifically for that kayak so I paid extra to get the one built for my boat from the maker.

It turned out in this case that buying directly from the manufacturer does not get you what you pay for, the best. They provided their own directions but the directions were not current. They provided the rope but the rope was cut to the wrong length. The manufacturer did not fix the problem when I called and made them aware of the problem and they directed the dealership should do that. The dealership got involved and contacted the manufacturer but still the manufacturer does not fix my problem for me or any other future customer, they just tell you to use different knots so the improperly cut rope can kinda fit. Two representatives from the manufacturer come on this forum and neither fully reads the post or the trolly kit directions and give responses that do not address the issue.

The issue that the directions are incorrect and the rope is too short is minor. The real issue has turned out to be how a customer gets help from the parent company that manufactures the product. All they had to do was replace the rope with one cut to the correct length and review the directions included in the trolly kit when the initial call was made and make sure other kits were not like mine. Not rocket science here. Basic customer service.

To answer your question, I purchased a rope from another source, replaced the rope provided by the manufacturer, cut the new rope to the appropriate length, and now the trolly works fine and works as it was intended to work by the manufacturer. Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Lunker1 wrote:
it says that my kayak may have two "hexagon brass pieces" along the center of the boat to attach the two molded eyelets that keep the trolly line along side the kayak and out of your way.

I hear ya...

There have been some disconnects with the factory. Inserts were designed in... then removed and then added again. In addition, there are a LOT of inserts in these boats and occasionally... some are just missed.

There is no doubt that the line is short for installation. It may be a change in the line type as we went to a different braid and I'd bet it stretched differently than when they designed the kit. Again, the fish guys were trying to make the kit work without having to make cuts and line adjustments. They may have tried too hard. I am having them review again.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear ya too. :)

Thanks for listening,
Lunker1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lunker1 wrote:
I hear ya too. :)

Thanks for listening,
Lunker1

Hi Lunker,

Thanks for all the feedback. As I am sure you can imagine we have been hard at work trying to make the best possible products to serve the kayak fishing community and we apologize that the product you ordered was not up to standard. After investigating the problem of the line being too short we found that it could have been a result of several factors, and we really appreciate you bringing it to our attention so that we could fix the problem.

We had heard feedback that the lines were a bit tight, and as I’m sure you read it was to compensate for the stretch factor of the line we were using. This is why our staff answered thinking that that was the issue. Come to find out the line was too short and thanks to your feedback and our staff bringing it to the fishing departments attention we have made some changes to the assembly process. We also increased the cut lengths of the materials to make them easier to install in the future. After all, it is easier to retie the knot should the line stretch over time.

Best regards and again thanks for your support of our products,

Hobie Fishing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie Fishing,

On behalf of every PA12 owner that has purchased the trolly made for this boat and struggled to install it and for every future PA12 owner, THANK YOU!

Lunker1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jbernier

You made a comment that a video was going to be done on a install of the anchor kit for the PA. Are you still looking to do this? I went on youtube and only saw the ones you have that are not PA on youtube.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Admin

The video was shot yesterday I heard... editing may take some time due to the Fishing Worlds going on, I think... but soon.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Matt;

Any word on the video for the anchor install on the PA 14 I've been looking and don't see anything from Hobie. I did find 2 new video's on the world fish tour. You would think someone would video the guys putting these PA together They are rigging them with all the goods. A guy could kill two birds with one stone here.

Thanks

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Nothing yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Hah! Found it. It was posted on the 9th.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqWNEy8Ys0c&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt.

I will be getting my PA 14 (mango) this Tuesday and I have all the gear ready. I would have had it done sooner but the shipping company for Austin Kayak put two large gouges nearly all the way through in the side of the new PA 14. Austin wanted me to fix it and keep it but I was not comfortable doing that since I paid 3k for a new kayak.

So I have been waiting now for 3 weeks for my kayak. I can't wait to use it.

I think I also sold one for hobie in a sporting good store to a guy who wanted a kayak to support him (300lb). I told him about the PA14. The sporting good store did not carry Hobie. Thanks again for the video

BentRodyakker
PA14
Rockaway Beach
Oregon