Post subject: Re: Pimp my Revo 11
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chopcat wrote:
okpete wrote:
Chopcat wrote:
Jcanracer wrote:
nice.
Question: what is that sticker beside your compass? is it some sort of ID tag?

Given that I cant remember my MMSI number and Call Sign i have stuck them on the boat.

In the UK (i think it is universal) the VHF hand held radios have a Tango (T) call sign as they move from boat to boat. That is the T***** bit.

The DSC units have a digital identifier that has to be registered with the Coastguard. That is the MMSI number. Maritime Mobile Service Identity. !

Hello,
I have two revo's with evolves and I tow one and when the battery is dead,I go to the second one. Flipping from one kayak to the next at 5mph can be tricky. Ok ,I'm kidding ,the second one is my wifes. In Oregon and other states , you need to register your kayak if you add power of any type, However,Ive not seen any documentation from Hobie pretaining to Manuf.certificate. So we provided an explantion of our purchase for the marine board. Although ,the evolve system is hard to spot,we decided to give the state $ 150.00 which seems a bit inflated. However,the evolve system is a dream come true. Mounted on the rudder,they provide incredible versatility.

What are your impressions of the evolve rudder mounted when using the mirage drive. Some say that the rudder authority is pretty poor? I would like to mount mine on the rudder to give assistance to the mirage some times.

Hello,
I added the extension to the rudder handle and can stand up and fish and move the rudder easily. I have toe ram mounts,one on the deck and one attached to the standnfish. The kayak is more reponsive under power than the mirage drive with standard rudder. Using the mirage drive with evolve off appears to be 90% or so of normal. My impressions are from kayaking the columbia river with fall flow. However if you are in a rip,you can use the evolve to make a very pronounced turn,just be judicious with the power. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the advice. I will go with a rudder mount to start with.

And for all of you thinking I was a pansy here is a bit of falling off in a force 8 at Poole. It was useful anchoring practice.

One thing I noticed, with not much current and a load of wind it is easy to get the anchor line wrapped around the mirage drive fins as you get blown around when setting the anchor. Much learning done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qVEn9i ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:

And for all of you thinking I was a pansy here is a bit of falling off in a force 8 at Poole. It was useful anchoring practice.

One thing I noticed, with not much current and a load of wind it is easy to get the anchor line wrapped around the mirage drive fins as you get blown around when setting the anchor. Much learning done.

Looks like you did a great job, do you still have the full video as well? Would be useful for instructional purposes; you jumped back in so quick I almost missed it. :) Did the yak capsize and did you right it? Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

motobob wrote:
Chopcat wrote:

Looks like you did a great job, do you still have the full video as well? Would be useful for instructional purposes; you jumped back in so quick I almost missed it. :) Did the yak capsize and did you right it? Bob

Basically it was all down to timing and me not watching the waves. I was shifting to sit side saddle and reach something behind me, the wind was blowing me parallel to the swell and without looking what the waves were doing I shifted my weight and the two coincided.
The boat didn't flip and I was able to get round the other side and push up and on. I was only in 4 feet of water coming in to the shore so getting up was easy.

I will try to post the actual footage in a day or so.

Having only had the ( my first kayak) revo for a few weeks I am still learning. With the wind this time I was in a harbour so the chance of floating out to sea was limited. And I got back on without the paddle float that I carry on the back.

Generally the boat was really stable in the swell and I had it anchored a few wines without problems. It was all down to me moving about at the wrong time. Still it gives you confidence having tried it out.

More excitingly than that the Yakattack package has arrived at customs, with a hefty tax bill. I shall have it for the weekend so will get the rails and rod holders on at the weekend.

Oh didn't catch any fish on Saturday - but after bumped into some local yackers who have given me some advice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:
motobob wrote:
Chopcat wrote:

Basically it was all down to timing and me not watching the waves. I was shifting to sit side saddle and reach something behind me, the wind was blowing me parallel to the swell and without looking what the waves were doing I shifted my weight and the two coincided.
The boat didn't flip and I was able to get round the other side and push up and on. I was only in 4 feet of water coming in to the shore so getting up was easy.

I will try to post the actual footage in a day or so.

Having only had the ( my first kayak) revo for a few weeks I am still learning. With the wind this time I was in a harbour so the chance of floating out to sea was limited. And I got back on without the paddle float that I carry on the back.

Generally the boat was really stable in the swell and I had it anchored a few wines without problems. It was all down to me moving about at the wrong time. Still it gives you confidence having tried it out.

More excitingly than that the Yakattack package has arrived at customs, with a hefty tax bill. I shall have it for the weekend so will get the rails and rod holders on at the weekend.

Oh didn't catch any fish on Saturday - but after bumped into some local yackers who have given me some advice.

Sounds like a perfect training day...going through the same with my Oasis..learning the key points like you highlight. Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well the weekend dawned and the parcel arrived from YakAttack....and I coudn't wait to get get pimping.

Here is the dry box setup.

I ordered a variety of parts from Luther at YakAttack to try them out. In particular the ease, or otherwise of installing the rails on the Revo using the rigging bullet system.

So the first job was to install the 12" rails. These are idea for narrow surfaces on the Revo and can be supplied with a threaded rail so you don't need to get underneath with a spanner to do up the nuts.

Here is the rail and bar.

You can also get very, very useful thinks called rigging bullets which thread into the underside rail and take the hassle out of fiddling with the nuts and washers by aligning the threaded bar and holed in the track for you. The first rails I could actually get a hand to so so the process is:

Using the track drill the holes

using the Rigging Bullet you can push the backing plate easily into position

Then using some threadlock install the screws

Job done. That was easy wasn't it. and then you get to play with the different mounting options

Then we tackle the un-reachable areas of the Revo. I wanted some short rails to go on the rear for mounting cameras and Visi Carbon Poles. I didn't have a 6" rail so got a hacksaw out and chopped a 12" in two. Here it is with the rigging bullets in place.

With a difficult to get to location it is a good idea to take a look at what is underneath. The best way I found to do this was to get the iphone onto video and point it around in the hull and then watch the video. (I haven't posted that as it want that exciting!)

You then drill the holes as before and attach lines to the rigging bullets. Push them through the holes and lift the rear of the yak to get them to slide down.

I found it easier to use just one rigging bullet as the shape of the underside meant that the full back slotted into position nicely.

Then a mighty mount to go on the front

and a load more bits to bolt on to the rails.

Then off to the seaside for a paddle....no fish but lots of crabs

If anyone is interested in the YakAttack rail system in the UK or Europe PM me I might be able to help.

CC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks nice & clean...congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wow, how much more gear can you take with you? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I see despite shop space being at a premium, there is of corse room for a wine rack. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

here are some action pics of all the stuff floating about and a few anchoring bloopers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFP-1bASr6E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Drewyaker wrote:
I see despite shop space being at a premium, there is of corse room for a wine rack. :lol:

well you need something to keep you going when Mrs CC banishes me to the outhouse.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fishfinder Installation

The Ram transducer mount arrived today so everything else stopped and work started on the installation.

The setup is a Humminbird 798 Side imaging unit with an externally mounted SI transducer. To complicate things we have just ordered a TI so want to be able to move the installation from boat to boat. And this installation looks as if it will be able to do that once we get another Yakattack rail for the TI (and actually get the TI - looks like December it is coming)

As previously noted the battery is mounted under the rear hatch and from there a cable run to the front to a waterproof socket.

Then the Humminbird is sat on a Ram mount off of the Yakattack rail.

The Ram transducer mount can be bent to shape and it was pretty easy to bolt the transducer on the end with the cable bundled up with cable ties and sat in the side pocket.

The arm can be moved into a horizontal position by loosening the wing nut, there is a sort of detent at both horizontal and vertical positions.

With no where to put the Revo into the water the removable nature of the installation was tested with an easy fish finding task.

There they are!

Post subject: Humminbird
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well the weekend arrived cold. frosty and not much wind. -2 degrees but warmed by the sun. Mrs CC had been promised a try in a Ti - not that it mattered that I had already ordered one which arrives in a couple of weeks!
Anyway- great result. she loved it....Phew!

I got to pootle about on the Revo and try the side imaging fish finder. Brilliant it was. Didn't find any fish mind you but could see the bottom profile a treat.

The Ram transducer mount was great too. No wobbling about as I had thought might happen.

Here is a little Film from the Saturday.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YilzKYfMHvk[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YilzKYfMHvk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I really like your pictures, ideas, equipment, and rigging. Thanks for posting all of this. I sold my Outback with the intent of buying a newer model with the better rudder placement but haven't done it yet. Your work makes me want to get on it.

Great kayak; great ideas and work!!!!!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520