Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger Boom Vertex
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My new (used) 2007 Tiger is missing the Vertex. The previous owner simply put the vertical bolt at the mast through the hole in the boom gooseneck. The gooseneck is now bent about 20 degrees so I'm exploring options. Does the Trentec "super goose" fitting for the Hobie 18 also fit the Tiger? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark

Post subject: Re: Tiger Boom Vertex
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A Hobie 18 vertex will work - just order from any Hobie dealer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes that gooseneck works on the tiger.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark,
I have the trentec fitting and one of the other Tigers here has switched also. they had the stock H18 fitting and it will work but use a bolt instead of a clevis pin and ring because the forces will widen the U shaped H18 fitting. Also on the other Tiger they had to install the H20 bracket on the mast (larger with more rivets) as the bracket for the Tiger is smaller and would pull out the rivets. I think this is mostly due to the mast rotator being mounted on the mast above the boom which adds torque to the boom bracket on the mast. I would mount the rotator yoke on the mast base and run the rotator line out to the shrouds so you can make rotation adjustments while sailing out on the hull instead of having to go inboard to the boom to make any adjustments. Similar to the H20 not the H18. Makes it a little easier and faster around the weather mark if the skipper rotates the mast while the crew is pulling boards and getting the chute ready.
on another note, are you planning on racing? next years F18 Nationals is in Sarasota!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Dray! And yes, it sounds like you've just given me a goal of sailing in the Nationals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm only slightly ahead of you in Tiger ownership as I started sailing my new ride in August. I've got a 2004 that I bought in Seattle and shipped it to Hawaii.
Of course this site has been great for tuning and Tiger questions. The previous owner had the boat set up for light lake sailing and I'm out here in 15-20mph steady with mostly flat water in a bay that is a little over a mile across and 9 miles long.
So far I've learned to have a training partner (which I do) and there are a few Hobie 20's that I know have a good pace upwind so I try to adjust to point higher than them which is no problem unless the wind lightens up a bit. I've done a 16 worlds, 18 NA and a few 20 NA's so getting her going upwind and reaching is no problem. I've been on cats with chutes so no problem there also. Just have to get a steady crew and get very methodical with mark roundings as it's different rounding the weather and leeward mark with a chute. I've found so far that I need a larger arc around the buoys than a cat w/o a chute. When I get serious I'll have to drop some money into the hole in the water for new sails as my main still has some life in her but the jib is the older short battened type and the chute is the older fuller cut which is really exciting here with the wind blowing and my spin blocks moved forward.
It's an awesome boat the F18 we did a long distance race on my 5th time out and finished just under an hour for a 22 mile out and back race!