Hi guys! Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but was wondering if I could run a scenario past you.
First of all, background story--I've wanted to sail for the past two decades, but never had the money/connections. This past summer, I got to go out on a Hobie Wave on the Chesapeake Bay for the first time and loved the heck out of it. I'm completely hooked and have been reading the Hobie forums obsessively. My dream craft at the moment is a Getaway (I have a lot of friends, plan to have kids, etc). However, they ain't cheap and it could be a while before I have the 4-6k saved up for a used bargain.
So when I saw this ad, I was intrigued at the possibility at getting out on the water sooner and went to take a look: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3300481472.html
. Could I get your feedback on the scenario? FWIW, here are some additional photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/quavermult ... 880664778/
- $$. The seller is willing to go under 1k.
- Includes boat, trailer, and sails.
- The seller spent a lot of time fixing up the hulls. Epoxy injection into the hulls to fix soft spots (I pushed hard against both hulls and the thing seems super solid), new paint job, etc.
- Tramp and rigging are in decent shape.
- Seller has absolutely no idea how old the boat is. He bought it off a college kid two years ago, who used to race it. There's no ID #, no title, etc. I don't have ambitious racing plans yet, and here in MD, you don't need a title to sail, but the lack of knowledge does concern me. There is a comp-tip, but I couldn't tell if it was retrofitted or not.
- Are all trailer wheels this small? How does that fare on a highway?
- My biggest concern: the sails are definitely getting old. There are a few pinpick holes I spotted, tape covers several of the batten sleeves, decals are peeling off, tails are frayed, etc.
So, what do you think? Is this a good ticket for me to get out on the water as soon as possible, or should I hold out for a better deal/dream boat?
BTW, the seller seems like a good fellow who needs the money. If someone else thinks this is exactly the kind of thing they've been looking for, please go for it!