Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently had a leak in my i12 in an unrepairable location. Even though my kayak was way (years ) beyond the warranty , Hobie agreed to a replacement. I ended up upgrading to an i14 using the credit.
Stephen from Adventure Times Kayak in North Palm Beach was very helpful from the initial sale through many followup items over the years. I would highly recommend him.

Hobie is the Apple of he industry. You pay a premium, but the unique product, user experience, and customer satisfaction is worth it.

Well done !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I echo these comments about the after sales service and warranty. I had a couple of issues with the tri-ring straps tearing on my i14. Even though we're half a world away down-under in Australia, Hobie came good with the repairs.

A colleague who owned an older Outfitter found cracking in the hull that could be traced back to the original moulding process. Despite being several years out of warranty Hobie offered a replacement or a discounted upgrade. Of course he took the upgrade to an Oasis.

It's a pity the chap who inadvertently inflated the relief valve on the i9 didn't approach Hobie before posting his concerns on this forum. It is to Hobie's credit that they didn't moderate or delete his post but left it there for all to see. Would be very interested to read how that story ends.

As for me, I brought my Hobie based on the advice of my friend who got the upgrade and my own experiences has influenced two others to buy Hobie kayaks.

Reputation and word of mouth sells as much as any brochure. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mick3780 posted "It's a pity the chap who inadvertently inflated the relief valve on the i9 didn't approach Hobie before posting his concerns on this forum. It is to Hobie's credit that they didn't moderate or delete his post but left it there for all to see. Would be very interested to read how that story ends."

Mick3780
I have a name and it is in my signature: I posted the story and my honest experience with the boat. I could have concealed the facts from Hobie, but I did not and would not. I took the boat to my Dealer over 6 weeks ago. They were closed for the afternoon at 3 PM and seemed to be having a party, but still took took the boat in. The owner of the dealership called me in a couple of days and assured me that paperwork had been filed and the boat sent to Hobie. By Nov 10 I had not head from Hobie, and here is the reply I received from Brandon Castile on the 12th: "Your kayak is here, although our repair guy was out last week so he’s getting caught up with various projects this week. It shouldn’t be long" That was3 weeks ago next Monday.

Early this week, I had not received any further information, and Brandon had not returned an e-mail inquiring of the status, so I called him: He said that Hobie was doing inventory last week and that the repair man was out that day, but my boat would be attended to "shortly". I asked him to let me know when the boat had been inspected and action taken. I have not heard back.

Early inflatables do not have a warning on the boat about inflation of the "bilge drain". Hopefully my experience will prevent someone else from making the same mistake. I have owned inflatable boats for over 50 years, and this valve is similar if not identical to the inflation valve in many boats. Yes, I made a mistake, but I am honest, and there would have been no reason for Hobie to delete or moderate my post.

I agree that Hobie is a great company;I have owned several of their products. I first met Hobie Alter in the mid 50's when he was first carving foam surfing boards. I visited with him on his boat in the Broughton Islands BC, about 4 years ago, and that visit convinced me that the Mirage drive was an excellent boat for my uses after looking at his personal kayaks and discussing them with him.

I will post when Hobie gets around to inspecting my boat, repairing it or what other action they take.

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am happy to report that my i 9 inflatable is back "home". The scupper tubes were replaced, a tag which says do not put air into the bilge is in place and the control lines were updated. This was at no cost, except shipping--so again "Kudos" to Hobie--and in this case to "Key Sailing" who is my dealer