Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the forum: I’m considering an Outback. Never seen one in person. I’ll test drive one in a month or two at a dealer in Hood River, Oregon that allows sea trials. I’m in Salem, Oregon a reasonable distance away.

I recently bought a Honda Civic Coupe; love the 38mpg compared to my F250’s 12mpg. Yakima says their rack will mount on the coupe, but only if the crossbars are just 24” apart. The Honda roof is capable of a 125 pound load; I’ve not bought the rack yet.

I may be able to use the Hully and Mako under the hull, or maybe it would be best to flip the Outback over and rest the top on Yakima Canoe Gunwale Brackets or a padded crossbar. Of course I’ll use both front and rear tie downs in addition to the crossbar tie downs.

I doubt that I’ll add many accessories to the top of the Outback which would get in the way of loading. I would use the Yakima extending Load Assist bar to help get the Outback in position. And to protect against overloading wind forces, and my back; I’ll unload the Kayak when transporting.

Anyone use a Yakima rack with crossbars close together? Am I okay with transporting the Outback top down?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sure would not do it......My 2007 Subaru Outback had a crossbar spacing of 39" after adding Yakima 58" crossbars to the rails, 4 Mako saddles and the show boat roller.
I felt this spacing was adequate for my Hobie Outback....also used bow and stern safety tie down lines.
When I purchased a 2012 Subaru Outback, I discovered the cross bar spacing was only 28".....needless to say I was not a happy camper......so I ended up buying the Hobie Trailex aluminum trailer.....in the end, the trailer made both loading, launching and storing my Hobie Outback much simpler.....the combined trailer and kayak weight is about 230 pounds......the Subaru does not know the trailer is in tow.
The Kayak Shed in Hood River are great people to work with...I purchased all of my Hobie products and kayak related equipment from them. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I sure would not do it......My 2007 Subaru Outback had a crossbar spacing of 39" after adding Yakima 58" crossbars to the rails, 4 Mako saddles and the show boat roller.
I felt this spacing was adequate for my Hobie Outback....also used bow and stern safety tie down lines.
When I purchased a 2012 Subaru Outback, I discovered the cross bar spacing was only 28".....needless to say I was not a happy camper......so I ended up buying the Hobie Trailex aluminum trailer.....in the end, the trailer made both loading, launching and storing my Hobie Outback much simpler.....the combined trailer and kayak weight is about 230 pounds......the Subaru does not know the trailer is in tow.
The Kayak Shed in Hood River are great people to work with...I purchased all of my Hobie products and kayak related equipment from them. :D

Have you considered the Revo 11? I couldn't decide between the the outback and the Revo. But after demoing both,I decided on the revo and glad I did because the weight is about right to get on top of my pickup. The trailer is a great choice for the outback and both are good choices. We've purchased several kayaks from the kayak shed in Hood river and they are worth the xtra miles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Could you add a support, like the ones hang-glider pilots use, that attaches to a towball to support the rear of the boat? Might be an expensive option but better than finding your car becoming a convertible due to a wayward Outback peeling the roof open.

The other thought I have had is that if you were to load the yak onto the roof & then tie it down from the bow AND the stern (with both tie downs under tension) then surely there'd be little danger of it lifting (might slide about unless also strapped in the middle) ? The bars would in effect be holding it UP but the bow & stern tie downs would be holding it ON. This might be worth investigating - I load my Adventures in kayak cradles and the boats really don't need to be strapped down at all hard to hold them securely in place - might work the same for you with bow and stern lines to hold the boat in the cradles and stop them lifting up and a strap or two over the bots via the roof bars as an additional tie down into the cradles for extra security.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the answers and thoughts.
What about resting the Outback on it's top? Meaning the cockpit side down? Will that cause a structural problem for transporting to a location 30-40 miles away at 50-55 mph?

Thought about the trailer. The Civic has no tow rating. Not that it could not be done, but it could potentially void the factory warranty. Adding a hitch will bring up questions at service or warranty time. I've been through that with an 02 Civic.

At 235 pounds with large upper body and short legs, I'm a bit concerned about stability. I have an Aire Inflatable Kayak that tips over in white water until I learned to lean way back to lower the CG. I'm thinking the Outback may be the narrowest I should go with. Then again, I've never been in a Hobie and I certainly wouldn't use it in white water.

Being retired, my summers consist of using the F-250 to deliver my travel trailer to an RV Park near good fishing areas. This next year will be LaPine, OR to fish the Cascade Lakes for 5-6 months. Past summers I kept the F-250 but this next year after the trailer is delivered, I will bring the truck back to storage and pick up the Civic to use as an econocar to get me back and forth to the lakes.

I usually use a float tube or a Water Master Kodiak raft. I was considering the Outback to free up the hands and move about faster. Great thought, but may not be practical. I could just wave as you all speed by...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m so bad… now after watching the You Tube video “Ultimate Kayak Fishing on Hobie i9s” I’m interested in the inflatables. Watching a 6 or so foot sailfish being caught has me dreaming of not only lakes but a little blue water as well.

Okay, forget the difficult questions of how to carry an Outback on the Civic coupe. I need to call the dealer to see if they have an inflatable i9s or i12s demo boat. I’ll wait to ask more questions after I’ve demo’d a couple of Hobie Mirage Drive inflatable kayaks.

My Watermaster Kodiak fits in the trunk of the Civic with loads of room to spare. It looks like the i9s is actually a smaller package than the WM. If so, that boat may be the key to transport, storage and speed all while getting good fuel mileage in the process.

I’m off to search for more i9s videos.
Thanks for participating in my dilemma. Nothing like a little “What if” to keep the mind engaged.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a small Scion xD and I have been transporting my outback for years on the Thule roof rack without any problems. I always transport and store it on its top rails (the best way) and I don't think you will have any issues if you use all 4 straps. I have 28" between rails on mine.Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't see how it won't work, unless you're getting the tandem Outback, then 24" wide will probably be cutting it too close for the extra boat length..

I've got the same bent-to-heck Yakima crossbars from 1985 with low profile towers. Pick the clips to fit your Civic. Your Outback manual will tell you the best position for transporting your yak. Gunwales down looks fine. But gunwale down or use a post with the boat on its side, Yakima has an accessory. Right-side up and you better have the proper cradles or you'll flatten the bottom on the crossbars.

You'll have to find the balance point for the 24" width. Weight is not a problem for the car or the rack. The Yakima Boat Loader works fine. I bought one and have used it to load my Pro Angler 12 gunwale side down. It flexes a little more than expected, but my PA is heavier than an Outback.

I tie the yak tight to the crossbars, but I never crank down on the bow painter. It is more to keep the end from shifting side to side in the wind. Interstate at 80 is no problem with my Tacoma, but do beware those crosswinds. Do look under your Civic bumper and check for adequate tie down spots.

Billamicasr wrote:
New to the forum: I’m considering an Outback.

I recently bought a Honda Civic Coupe. Yakima says their rack will mount on the coupe, but only if the crossbars are just 24” apart. The Honda roof is capable of a 125 pound load; I’ve not bought the rack yet.

I may be able to use the Hully and Mako under the hull, or maybe it would be best to flip the Outback over and rest the top on Yakima Canoe Gunwale Brackets or a padded crossbar. Of course I’ll use both front and rear tie downs in addition to the crossbar tie downs.

I doubt that I’ll add many accessories to the top of the Outback which would get in the way of loading. I would use the Yakima extending Load Assist bar to help get the Outback in position. And to protect against overloading wind forces, and my back; I’ll unload the Kayak when transporting.

Anyone use a Yakima rack with crossbars close together? Am I okay with transporting the Outback top down?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Then take a look at these S.O.A.R. Inflatables. http://soar1.com/sec_canoe.htm

I had the 12 ft one and used it on class III-IV. Loved it! Wife got it in the divorce!

Billamicasr wrote:
I’m so bad… now after watching the You Tube video “Ultimate Kayak Fishing on Hobie i9s” I’m interested in the inflatables.
Thanks for participating in my dilemma. Nothing like a little “What if” to keep the mind engaged.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Warfrat; thanks for the post and photo; it helps quite a bit. Great looking Scion!

I've since researched the possibility of a hitch and rear support like Stobbo suggested. Honda says if I do not add the wiring harness and connector for towing, there will be no warranty issues. Great - I'll get that in writing; I got in trouble with Honda towing a 15' West Wight Potter Sailboat with my old 2002 Civic - looked a little strange but the car lasted until I traded it in at 100K.

I'm abandoning the inflatable idea 1. I'm not flying anywhere 2. I've got several inflatables already and 3. I cannot find any dealer that allows demo's of the inflatable boats.

I'm going back to the Mirage Outback and will soon visit Kayak Shed for a trial run. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay with using the Yakima Racks with gunwale brackets. I've looked at several installations I've found on the Internet that are working out fine. Worst case; I'll have a "Goal Post" (like Thule's) made for the 1 1/4" hitch using a Yakima crossbar, so as to add support to the rear.

Regarding S.O.A.R. I looked into them some time ago; you are right Sandytoes; they are great river boats. They have a real following on lots of our Oregon whitewater rivers; Rogue, Illinois, Clackamas, etc.

My first inflatable (1992?) is a 12' Aire IK (inflatable Kayak). My second is a 9' Outback Cataraft AKA pontoon boat, made by Aire (1998?). My third is a 9' Water Master Kodiak raft (2003) and finally is an Outback Fish Cat 4 float tube (2010). It's time for a hard shell boat. I've got rivers and ponds covered. Now I want a pedal powered lake/bay boat. I thinking it's going to be the Mirage Outback.

I'm still in the planning stage. I'll not use the boat until next April, so I've got plenty of time. I just want to be sure it is the boat for me and then get it ordered before the 2013 early season rush.

Little chance to use tie downs under the bumpers of the new Civic; I'm afraid it would cave in the plastic airfoil below the plastic bumper. I've purchased a pair of Thule tie downs from REI that go under the hood and have a 1" web loop that sticks out through the gap between the hood and fender. They fit very well and look like a good alternative; we'll see.

I appreciate the help from all of you folks. I especially like the heads up Kudos on the Kayak Shed; I'll be visiting them soon. Your help is making my research much easier.

Don't know what Hobie recommends; here's my tip to inflatable owners. A little maintenance and all of my Inflatables still look like new! I wash and dry and then apply 303 Protectant to the PVC skin every time before storage and I keep them in a room where UV cannot damage them. After all the years of use, lack of use, and storage they are still very flexible and show absolutely no cracking.