Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Launching a Hobie 16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys

I’m new to Hobie Cats (I’ve sailed monohulls of all sizes) and have a launching questions

I don’t quite understand the whole launching / where is it rigged aspect

They are normally seen at the beach in photos – but how to get them there? Do you use a 4 wheel drive?

What about the case where I have the local cement driveway down to the water – like where they launch powerboats? I have a quiet local one of these nearby leading to a beach I’d like to use.

So, then are they rigged on the trailer, and the whole trailer brought into the water (what about he wheel bearings)? I don’t have a beach trolley – just the road trailer. Or, take the Hobie of the trailer, before the water – then can it rigged on the cement ramp? Are the hulls OK for that without damage? Or bring it into the wind in the water, and hold it and rig it in the water – seems like a lot to manage while its swishing about. Or lower it in the water with just the mast on and put the sails up in the water?

And taking it back out again: lower the sails in the water, and bring the hulls round to the trailer?

I’ve researched a few utubes but they were just about the beach.
As you can see I’m quite clueless about this. Any help greatly appreciated.

John

Post subject: Re: Launching a Hobie 16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Basics:

Step the mast while on the trailer (watch for overhead wires!) back the trailer to the water's edge. You can stop with the tires just touching the water. Roll the boat off the trailer and walk, wade or paddle to a grassy or sandy spot to pull the boat up on shore to continue rigging.

Rigging the sails while on a trailer is possible, but problematic. Depends on wind direction primarily. The boat needs to be pointed into the wind while rigging and sitting on the beach.

You could bring a roll of carpet to place on the concrete for rigging.

You can use "Cat Trax" to roll across a beach to the water's edge. Image

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John - There are quite a few ways of launching your H-16 correctly. Sometimes you have to be a little creative; especially if you travel around to different lakes and beaches. Just a few do's and don'ts and words of caution:
Watch out for low branches and power lines before raising your mast.
4 people can carry a H-16 off the trailer to the water. 6 people can do it easier. Take some exta beer along and be real friendly.
It's not necessary to put your trailer wheels in the water; just up to the edge of the water. Then slide your boat off the trailer into the water.
If you have to rig your boat on a rocky shore or cement ramp, protect your hulls with old carpet remnants or your car floor mats. Again, be creative!
I've seen quite a few people launch their boat with the sails already raised. If you try it watch out for wind direction and velocity.
If you have to bring your boat in to an area where there are rocks or other hull damaging areas, slow your boat down and jump off and STOP your boat before you crash into those areas. Then bring it in gently and protect the bottom of your hulls if you can.
John-Be creative, keep it safe and have fun!
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do not like to put my trailer in salt water.

If you are able to back your trailer down to the shore's edge, it is easier if you stop your trailer at a point where the trailer wheels are about 1-2' feet from the waters edge. This way you can pull the boat off the trailer (using the rear crossbar) and then when center of gravity of the boat passes the rear rollers you can lower the transoms so they will just hit the water.

Since I usually sail solo, I reload the trailer by setting the trailer's wheels about 1-2 feet from the water's edge. I then walk my floating H16 forward (using the dolphin striker bar) until the bow tips are just on top of the trailer's rear rollers. From there, I loop the trailer's 2"x25' winch strap/hook around the cat's front cross bar next to the mast step. I now can manually winch the boat up onto the trailer. I usually pause this process when the transoms are just barely out of the water. With the hulls now at a steep angle, I can remove the hull drain plugs and drain any water out of the hulls. Next, you can continue winching the cat forward and guide the bows so they gently come down on the trailer's front rollers and then continue winching until you have the cat in the proper place on your trailer.

Leaving the winch strap attached to your front cross bar will also prevent the boat from rolling backwards on the trailer when driving, etc.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue May 18, 2021 9:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A few more points on the top what was already said.
1. Look for a ramp with some sandy or grassy area near by. You will need it to finish your rigging. You will need be able to point your boat to the direction of the wind to raise your main. The second reason is so you have a safe spot to get back.
2. You will need a help of 2 adults to raise your mast the first few times. Make sure there is no more than one person on the boat while on the trailer. Watch for overhead wires!
3. Find a wide beach to lunch your boat the first few times. If a strong wind is blowing towards the beach and the access is very narrow, it may be a too difficult for you to slow down the boat to get back. If the wind is blowing in opposite direction (directly from the beach, towards the water) and the access is too narrow to tack, you may not be able to get back at all... If in doubt, get an extra paddle and and go with able crew.
4. Read "Catamaran sailing : from start to finish" by Phil Berman

Have I mentioned to watch for overhead wires?

Last edited by jackB on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even better....find a local hobie sailor to get you dialed in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mate, A winch on a trailer if solo on a 16 is cake to end the day,dont put the trailer in salt water,just down to the rubber!

Last edited by aussiebob on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail almost always in fresh water. I raise the mast, load the sail, boom, life jackets, etc. on to the tramp and back the trailer into the water. I usually unplug trailer lights first. I wade in the water and pull the boat to the beach where I rig it. I have "bearing buddies" on the axles which pressurize the bearings to keep water out. I trailer the boat about 180 miles round trip to the lake. I still have the original bearings on my trailer after 27 years and many trips to the lake. The few times I took the boat to the ocean, I couldn't get the trailer to the water. A couple of times we carried the boat past the dunes and to the edge of the water. Three of us did it but one was a weight lifter (not me). The ideal situation is to launch where there is a beach and raise the sail and rig on the beach at the edge of the water. Concrete ramps are not easy on the hulls.