Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
I am a light weight young sailor, who sails with other light weight sailors: problem? When we go over it is almost impossible for us to right the 16. Solution? Well i've been thinking about this for a while and i was wondering if you could build a homemade mast float out of those giant 5-gallon water containers. I'm thinking that you could have a jug attached to each end of a 6 foot long 2 by 4. o----o Then you would attach that perpendicularly to the top of the mast so one jug was port and the other starboard. It would form a sort of T shape if you looked at it from the front of the boat. Then, when you capsize the mast will stay out of the water by 3 feet and make it so no water gets in the mast, no possibility of a turtle, the sails stay out of the water mostly, and half of the righting work is already done. I know that the disadvantage here is a LOT of friction with the air as you're sailing along, but that is something i am willing to give up if it means I can sail without other boats around safely. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Bigger issue is the weight. At 26 feet out.... a small weight has a lot of leverage to hold the mast down. 5 gallon jugs are not light weight.

You might consider the Hobie Baby Bob and a shroud extender system... what is called a solo righting system. See them in the spread page 22-23 of the fall 2012 parts catalog.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/International-SailingFall12.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
Thanks so much for the reply. I really see your point, I didn't think of that. The reason I was trying to come up with a new solution was because I didn't want to pay for the shroud extender and mast float. But, if thats what it takes then I will. Thanks again,
John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really think that once you get the technique down, you can right it alone.

I only weigh about 175, and I came really close on my first try. Someone came along and helped before I had too much time with it, but I think I could have done it.

Keys: Make sure you have the wind pointed to fill the sail and help you lift it.
Make sure you are almost parallel with the water, you have to lean waaay out there to get the maximum leverage.
Once it starts looking like it wants to come up, move a little further back to pull the front of the hulls up a little.

My righting line is a crap peice of rope tied between the two upper pylons. I just put the rope under my shoulders and lean back as far as possible. Tall and thin people *I THINK* would have an advantage here as the leverage point is further out.

Comments from those with more experience?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also make sure your mast does not leak. My friend turtled his 16. Mast filled about 1/2 full of water. The two of us had no hope of righting it. Powerboat had to lift the tip of the mast up which let the water run to the mast base...then it popped right up.

ps...I rock a baby bob :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would say, Don't flip!! LOL I'm pretty new to the Hobies but i've learned to point into the wind or spill some sail whenever I feel a very big gust coming. My second day ever on my H16 a storm front had just passed through and got caught with the pants down so to speak but i learned in 0.8 seconds how to de-power the boat with a 30+ mph gust. Blow the jib if you have to! I'd be a little more brave if there were other boats out in my area that would help out since the fact that the lake is shallower than my mast is tall. I've totally lucked out on the not capsizing but i'm about 200# with the righting bungee line so I could prob do it iof i had to :)

Cheers, Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is a LOT more fun knowing you can right the boat. Then you can enjoy pusing the limits instead of fearing them!