Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have ever fallowed the Watertribe Adventure Races then this might be the year to enter.

If we can get enough Hobies together, then Chief will create a unique Hobie Class.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/special-class-for-hobie-kayaks

So do not let life slip by and sign up soon. You will enjoy this lifetime experience...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Paul,

I have been following the WT for sometime now (although I don't consider myself a major competitive spirit) and have specially been following and admiring your WT endeavers in particular. You came quite close to actually winning the NCC last year!
I think it would be a great experience and I'm hoping to "soon" get to make one of these events.
It would be cool to have our own Hobie class!
Unfortunetly, I do not believe that I will be ready in time for the upcoming EC (unless I get canned at work!) but I came real close this year to coming up for the NCC and I'm fairly certain I will be ready next year... if only work commitments will cooperate next time.

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul

I originally bought my AI about 5 yrs. ago as a possible boat I could use in the EC. Well, I never did that, but I have been an interested bystander. One of the inhibitions has been the cost--and that has increased significantly. I think the costs, other than logistics, food and camping gear, are
Entrance Fee $395
SPOT + Tracking $200+
PLB $250
Dry suit $600-1000

total (minimum) $1445-1845

Please correct me, if I'm wrong on this list. Of course, if you planned to participate in the EC for 3-4-5 yrs., that would bring the costs/yr down some. Considering that many first-time participants DO NOT FINISH, maybe that is the way to look at the costs.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keith,

I did not start with the EC and I did shop around for my equipment. I do not recommend jumping fully into the EC if you do not have some long distance experience. The NCC or the Ultra Marathon is a good way to start.

SPOT Tracing is no longer required. If you do not mind pushing the OK button every 4 hours then the base cost is $100/year. I use my SPOT each time I go out. It gives my wife a piece mind. She always knows where I am.

I bought all my gear off e-bay well bellow cost. SPOT $50, PLB $200, dry suit $280. All of this equipment I use through the year for day trips and long adventures. You do not need top of the line camping equipment. My tent is a $20 6x4 kids tent. Works great sleeping on a diagonal...

Watertribe will teach you how to be safe on the water...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/