Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys have a question for you.
I live and sail my TI in Tampa Bay and Gulf. I will be sailing even more duing fall and winter here since usually during this season the wind picks up.
I'm trying to figure out what I need to wear during the "colder" months in Tampa Bay Florida on water.
I'm trying to accomplish this as cheaply as possible.
I've seen online some recommendations for a wetsuit 3mm and I found some for about 169 bucks. I don't like wearing anything too bulky, so wetsuit idea sounds great but I never wore one or owned one.
Also if I get wetsuit, what do I wear on my feet or on my head if I decide to jump into water.
So far during summer and spring I've been just wearing shorts and a t-shirt and my vibram 5 finger shoes but I'm completely confused what to wear during cold months plus I was thinking about doing some snorkeling but again... not sure if its even recommended during colder months in this area or what.
Sorry to sound like a newb, but I'm trying to spend more time on the water and enjoy salt water life as much as possible.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have purchased the Kokata GORE-TEX® Lightweight Paddling Suit for winter fishing. I live in Jupiter, Florida, so we have the same weather conditions. I got it from Austin Kayak with a 20% coupon so it made the high price somewhat more bearable. I will report on its suitability when I get it. The link on the suit is below.

http://www.kokatat.com/products/paddlin ... tmbearable

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail my AI in the same area as you and it can get very cold in the winter. I actually bought the exact drysuit that snjsanders ordered (haven't used it yet). I was planning to use it for the EC. The link above looks a little off so here's another one for the same item: http://www.rei.com/product/816632/kokat ... -suit-mens. It's not cheap though. I go out in bad weather by myself a lot so I'm glad I'll at least have good protection from the weather.

In years past I've used a 3/4 wetsuit with kayaking boots and liners but didn't like using a wetsuit. The plus of the wetsuit is it keeps your body core warm if you dump into the water and it will help prevent hypothermia which doesn't take long to disable you. I also used thin waterproof pants and a good jacket I got at west marine http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... JBvmobzO_M
Footwear is quite important.

I've also used the West Marine Waders and a good jacket which worked fairly good.

Shop around - Bill Jacksons has a lot of options, tackle shack and West marine also.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kommy000:
I also live in this area (Sarasota) and try to get out every weekend year round. Though in the winter (January) we try to go down to Key West (water is warmer (seldom gets below 75)) for diving and sailing our TI rather than here.
When it's cold I try to only go out when their are other boaters nearby (you never know). I also carry two cell phones in dry bags, one of these days I will buy a portable FM (when I can afford one). I am very careful to note where I am going and how long I will be gone in the winter. I also am more cautious about pushing the boat to it's max in colder weather.
One problem we have around here is it is quite nice and warm in the sun (75 to 80 deg in the winter) but the water can be 65. I have a shorty 3mm wetsuit that I am able to put on in the water if needed, when I get warm I put it in a dry bag next to me in the boat. For my feet I have 3mm high top scuba boots that keep my feet warm. When on sale at scuba shops they can be inexpensive (less than $30), and hold up well if you take care of them. I also had a pair of farmer johns 3mm scuba pants that cover your core with a double layer when put on over the shorty wetsuit. They can also be easily put on or taken off in the boat or in the water if need be. My farmer johns finally wore out so I need to get a new pair before winter. I also keep in a small bag a plastic duck suit which folds up nicely into a small bag and I stow it with the first aid kit. This is full plastic pants, and a cover (with a hood), that if it gets cold and rainy I can easily put on over everything else including PFD (haven't needed it yet). When sailing in winter you need gloves (scuba gloves don't work well) any weatherproof work gloves will probably be ok (just something to cover your hands mostly). Actually I spent my whole life living up north and never wore or owned a hat or gloves until I bought my first pair recently down here for sailing. Me being Canadian I think affords me some extra protection against the cold, but I've noticed native floridians (like my wife) have no cold tolerance at all. Regardless of your cold tolerance above water once you go into the water (capsizing), anything under 75 deg water temp can cause hypothermia quickly, and I do not go out without at least an hour or more worth of in water protection on if I were to go into the water.
This is just my opinion about dry suits, but on a nice winter sailing day in the high 70's if all zipped up I would think I would get very warm, so one would tend to open the dry suit up. Since you never know when trouble will happen my perception is if you went into the water with an open dry suit on it would fill with water, and be very difficult if not impossible to get back into the boat, and of course once it's filled with water I would assume it to be worse than nothing at all. Thats why I went with the layered approach, and everything can easily be put on in the water if needed. If I lived further north I might opt to use a 5mm or 7mm wet suit. Actually anywhere north of here the absolute safest is the dry suit, but it has to remain sealed up anytime while on the water.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
One problem we have around here is it is quite nice and warm in the sun (75 to 80 deg in the winter) but the water can be 65. ...

This is just my opinion about dry suits, but on a nice winter sailing day in the high 70's if all zipped up I would think I would get very warm, so one would tend to open the dry suit up. Since you never know when trouble will happen my perception is if you went into the water with an open dry suit on it would fill with water, and be very difficult if not impossible to get back into the boat, and of course once it's filled with water I would assume it to be worse than nothing at all. Thats why I went with the layered approach, and everything can easily be put on in the water if needed.
Bob

Ahh, the balmy sun in Florida. That sounds like a typical summer day in the inland Northwest on the water (not during a heat wave), and hotter than most any summer day west of the mountains on salt water. So I agree completely with your thoughts about dry suits. You could knock 10 degrees off those air temps and a dry suit with even a moderate amount of insulation under it would create a heat stroke problem if the sun is out. And you'd want a bit of insulation under it for 65 degree water. I also agree that a dry suit with an open zipper is like the proverbial screen door in a submarine.

I'm curious about the need for gloves at those temps, but gloves are a pretty personal thing. I tend to get cold easily, but for some reason I don't start wishing for gloves until the air temp is in the mid 50's. When I do wear gloves I like a pair of well oiled light weight leather gloves. They will be soaked in a few minutes -- but ever so flexible and comfortable and easier to work with and put on and take off compared to neoprene kayaker's gloves. And I find them warm into the 40's (air) anything colder and I stay home.

I'm also curious why so many people like wet suits. But again, I know that a lot of personal taste and personal metabolism affect our clothing choices for water sports. I bought a farmer john about 20 years ago -- tried it a lot and never liked it. Even in 50 or 55 degree air temps with the sun out, I feel like I'm roasting on a spit. Then I tried swimming in it in 65 degree water. After 30 minutes I still felt like I only had swimming trunks on -- with serious shivering taking control. I wonder if my rather thin body frame does not adequately fill up the space. So fresh cold water just keeps coming. Never thought of waiting till I fell in to put it on. But I can't imagine spending time and energy dressing in the water rather than getting back in the boat pronto.

Enjoy that Florida winter!

Puget

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now there is no need in passing judgement on us Floridians, just because we had the good sense to move to a more hospitable climate! Truth is, after having lived here for 20 years, I do believe my blood has thinned out. Anything under 75 degrees I consider an Arctic cold front. Add water to the equation and it just takes the fun out of sailing and catching fish. The Kokatat light weight paddling suit is made of GorTex and has an excellent reputation for being an extremely breathable, yet waterproof outer wear. Just add the appropriate insulation to match the temperature and it's the perfect solution. It also adds a large safety factor against hypothermia if something bad happens 6 miles offshore. The down side is the cost, but considering my overall investment in the Tandem Island...plus...plus...plus... for me and what I do it is a worthwhile investment. Especially, considering it adds another 4-5 months to my boating season.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry if I sounded judgmental. I've enjoyed Florida many times both summer and winter. One of my best experiences was a several hour snorkel trip down a river -- I think it was called the Ichetucknee. Incredibly beautiful both under the water and above the water.

I have read that our bodies adapt to climates over several weeks and that our blood actually does change density. Though I've wondered if the effect of living in a nice warm house negates any adaptation I might make to winter here.

The paddling suit sounds like a great idea for almost any climate. I use what I think is a similar idea -- breathable chest waders and a paddle jacket. Not like dry suit protection if swimming -- but probably fairly similar when you're in the boat.

Puget

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the wetsuit combination for extending flat water kayaking into the early winter and late spring next year on nice days (40's50's) is viable. May work for sailing in FL as well. I prefer this combo..

wetsuit

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1162

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... deptid=942

shoes

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1169

I may throw one other layer (warmth or wind protection) on up top if really cold... I do not plan anything epic like you guys may do sailing way off shore; I just need to have some protection if I take a unexpected dip to get back to nearby shore. May not address your specific quesiton but wanted to throw support out there for the wetwuit route on cool days. :D Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That top do I use it under the wetsuit or over it??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kommy000 wrote:
That top do I use it under the wetsuit or over it??

It would have to be over it. Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

motobob,

Great post! I'd love to see more posts with people sharing a) what they wear, b) approximate air and water temps, c) what kinds of trips they doing with the clothing, and also d) where in the world - or at least what climate type are they in.

Puget

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would also love to hear opinions about what we are dressing for. Having been a kayaker for 20 years I tend to follow the sacred rule: Dress for the water temp! Plan on a capsize and plan on not necessarily being able to get back in the kayak right away. Cold water kills. etc. etc. That made total sense in a kayak.

But now I have a Hobie Tandem Island. It is 18 feet long and 10 feet wide. Even if the amas collapse it is 4 feet wide. At 10 feet wide shouldn't that be more stable than those cabin boats where people are cruising along at 15 knots, watching TV, and sipping wine from a goblet? I bet they're not dressed for immersion. Heck, I bet they're not even wearing their PFD. I bet they're dressed for the internal cabin temperature and cabin windspeed. Even folks in an open 18 foot dory probably just dress for the air -- including temp, wind, spray, and rain.

So if I'm not going out on the open ocean, or risking gale force winds miles from shore, what do I dress for? Is this beast I'm sitting on a kayak or a dory when I dress for the day? What say you?

Puget

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just received my Kokata Lightweight Padding Suit and after wearing it around the house I am extremely pleased with the product. It is extremely well made and carries a lifetime guarantee. The product is very lightweight and comfortable. I am in the max end of the medium size fit chart and the suit fits like it was tailor made for me. I am now very excited for this winters fishing season!

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I stumbled on to some Immersion Research Zephyr splash pants on a local clearance rack for 50 bucks! Have not used them yet, but will post up when i do!

http://www.immersionresearch.com/store/ ... id=6786777

On the top i plan on wearing a Patagonia wind breaker that has a high "priest collar" .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I plan on wearing the pants from an offshore foul weather suit I have, Gortex for keeping water off my butt, but breathable. For my feet I have calf-length water proof socks and my crocks

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/194 ... Socks.html

Up top just a nylon windbreaker......it'll be low 60'sF and sunny when I go sailing. Oh and some old sailing racing gloves.