Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased 3 Hobie Kayaks (16', 10' and 12' classic) four years ago. The 12' classic developed small cracks around the drive holders and another crack in the front drive well pocket. The drive bolt sleeves are also detached inside the boat. Until this summer we had never experienced any problems with any of the kayaks and only use them 3 months in the summer.

I took the 12' boat to the dealer who agreed to look at it and mentioned that on the classics there has been problems and Hobie has backed them up with warrantee repair or possible exchange of other usable used boats if a repair cannot be made.

The dealer called to advise that Hobie will not cover because the boat is 8 years old. It would appear that this was a new/old boat (it must have been at the dealers for 4 years prior to me purchasing it). They went on the tell me that they could not fix the leak due to the location/lack of access and if they repair it from the outside, the drive will no longer fit in the well.

I picked up the boat today that is now unusable. Although we think the drive design for Hobie kayaks are innovative, the design of the drive well and the strength of the drive well materials leaves something to be desired.

Our boats have never been abused and have very little use.

My advise to potential buyers is to beware of these boats and be sure you find out when the boat was actually built. I would also recommend that you thoroughly review the various forums before purchasing so that you better understand the positive and negatives attributes. The drive systems do work as advertised and are a pleasure to use.

It is a shame that Kayaks at these prices have such poor hull quality compared to the drive system. Hopefully this information is helpful.

We will not be purchasing other Hobie products.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Skaneateles,

If indeed the boat was purchased new 4 years ago, we would normally have offered some extended warranty coverage for a drive well area problem. Do you have proof of purchase? 8 years is pretty far outside the original 2 year warranty, so I can understand the response from warranty if that is how it was presented. Contact warranty direct to be sure of the details that were submitted with a claim... assuming an actual claim was submitted by the dealer.

Contact [email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your quick response and advice. We will obtain paperwork and send inquiry as you have recommended.

Regards,

Carl Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Skaneateles,

It doesn't mention location on the post. I'm curious; where are you located?
Nothing exact of course, just general area.

Thanks,
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We live in Binghamton, NY and our cottage is on the South East side of Skaneateles Lake. Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good ole Finger Lakes (I went to Ithaca College but wasn't into boats of any kind at the time..darn)

Binghamton...Home of MacIntosh Stereo Stuff

And you got that Delaware River

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kramster,

Looks like you are from Arizona. We have a vacation home in Fountain Hills, Arizona. We bought it in March and plan on visiting 4 times a year.

I had a friend that attended Ithaca college years ago.

Carl Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

I wanted to follow-up and thank you for responding. I contacted Hobie as you advised and within 24 hours received a response that Hobie would stand behind the product even though I bought it 4 years ago.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Carl Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello and welcome to the forums neighbor! Glad to hear about other Hobie users in the area. Who was your dealer? Sorry for the experience you have had and don't blame you for not being happy but I don't think Hobie should be faulted for not offering a warranty even if your kayak was four years old. Your dealer should be the one receiving a letter since they are the ones that failed to disclose that you were not buying a current model (hopefully it was discounted) and they should not have told you that Hobie would fix the problem without confirming first.
Again, sorry you have had to experience this and that perhaps some good can come out of all this if only to let others learn a valuable lesson. Also perhaps some day we will see each other on the water as I frequently fish from my Pro Angler in between five mile point and Lourdes Camp and occasionally launch from Scott to fish the southern end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Skaneateles wrote:
Matt,

I wanted to follow-up and thank you for responding. I contacted Hobie as you advised and within 24 hours received a response that Hobie would stand behind the product even though I bought it 4 years ago.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Carl Taylor

Great news! Glad all turned out well Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8 year old boat?! Bought 4 years ago?! What can you say? "Hobie's customer service ethic is simply the best !!!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's a huge reason people continue to spend lots of $$$ on their kayaks, no question about it.