Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

well i guess it wasn't a total 'wash', i did get the experience of bringing all my fishing stuff with me.

i was all excited to wake up early this morning and go trolling for the first time from the TI. everything was going great until i paddled out past the little protective cove i am now parked in and hit the real ocean to find 2'-3' waves and about 15-20 mph winds. i'm not saying it was too dangerous to kayak in, but definitely way past what i had i had envisioned for the desired conditions.

my gps said i had already gone 1km when i was clearly like 300-400 meters from shore cuz i was fighting the wind and the wicked incoming tide just to try to get out to a spot i could put the sail up and cruise on to throw out a trolling line.

oh well maybe next time it will be better conditions. BTW no other fishing boats or kayaks out there in sight and usually you could at least count 5 within site at any given time.

it was a good practice to bring all the fishing stuff and amazed me at how easy it would be to just drag a line when sailing. my wife seems a little put off by the idea of 'fishing' instead of just 'sailing/kayaking' but honestly i don't think she would notice a difference once we are under sail and a line is out...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a GoPro camera day! I have 2-3 setup on my TI and that which do to kill you makes for a great video. People love to watch near death experiences!

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got to go ou this morning to perfect conditions the first hour, then a storm came so we had to head back. Got to troll but no fish yet. Gonna try to anchor and try some frozen bait next weekend hopefully.

I dont think i want any bad experuences when im in 300 plus feet of water steve but thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, where is the Fun in that? But, seriously where are your fishing? I fish in south Florida, off the east coast, between 100-300 feet. Primarily, fishing for sail fish, wahoo, king fish, dolphin, and snapper. The TI is a great offshore fishing boat!

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fishing in okinawa japan off the central western coast. a saw people all around me catching fish yesterday, but my cheap (BX special) setup prolly wasn't cutting it. gonna get some better equipment and try again.

when i reeled in my trolling line it had 2 lbs of seaweed on it so i'm sure this didn't help my chances any :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow... I was stationed in Kadena back around 1988. Cut my teeth learning how to sucba dive while dodging sea snakes! What a great place to have AI/TI. I would imagine the fishing is incredible!

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep i saw a sea snake swim by when i pushing the TI into the water this past weekend, i jear they dont usually bite but something about the worlds like second deadliest snake swimming by a few feet away sort of makes you think about exit strategies though.

The fishing is supposed to be incredible and from a fhartered boat i can attest, but havent really had the correct setup from the TI yet.

I love okinawa, was hear inthe AF from 02-04 (dorm life) now a civilian with an ocean front (with beach access) home and life is good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rusty_sojah wrote:
fishing in okinawa japan off the central western coast. a saw people all around me catching fish yesterday, but my cheap (BX special) setup prolly wasn't cutting it. gonna get some better equipment and try again.

when i reeled in my trolling line it had 2 lbs of seaweed on it so i'm sure this didn't help my chances any :D

Hi rusty,
yes sailing and collecting weed on my trolling line has been one of my special skill too. Over here in West Australia we get some prety windy conditions and rough seas so I spend a fair bit of time just sailing around in the TI.

I have also done a fair bit to set up fishing gear on my TI. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40535

Probably the best success and easiest trolling rig has been 100lb handline (wearing gloves) with a big squid shaped trolling lure which does not pick up too much weed like Rapala type hard-body lures do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a similar idea, sounds like my next plan, thanks for the tip that it works.