Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a Pro Angler 12 and I love this fishing platform!

I wanted to share what I think is a little flaw on the Pro Angler 12's and how I think you can fix it easily!

While I have about 1 1/2miles from my launch site and I had finally found the fish. I went to make a turn and my rudder would not operate! I had to paddle that barge all the way back to the ramp! You DON'T want to get stuck paddling this thing... I'm in pretty good shape and it stunk for sure.

Apparently the small 2" pin that holds the rudder in place just backed out. Because this is a straight pin it wiggled lose on me. I didn't have a screwdriver with me and could have easily fixed it in the field.

Please make sure you put an emergency kit into your kayak that has a screwdriver and an extra pin! You aren't likely to lose the pin but if you dropped in overboard you would be in bad shape!

I do think that Hobie should use something like a cotter pin that wouldn't back out on you but all in all this PA12 is awesome!

Joe Underwood (PhillyJoe)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What exact part of the rudder system you talking about? Under the cover plate on the rear deck. Or, the actual rudder?

Maybe a pic?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

We have run into issues with this pin before. They can be a little loose in the steering shaft and the ends should be flared to avoid sliding out of place. If it is loose and not flared, the pin can slide. As small as this pin is, it is very critical and needs to securely be in place. It would not be a bad idea to remove your rudder cover and inspect this pin to be sure it is tight. Open the ends with a screw driver if it is not difficult to push out. Our factory team puts together a lot of Pro Anglers and most are perfect, but they do occasionally mis one. I will pass this on to bring up the issue again and reinforce the importance of this pin. Sorry about the trouble. Hopefully this helps prevent it from happening to others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply Brendan!

Opening or flaring the pins is exactly what I did and I should have included that in my response.

My pin was quite tight getting it back in so I was a little surprised that it even backed out in the first place.

I would have saved myself a paddle if I had that screwdriver with me :roll: .

Sincerely,

Joe Underwood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought this is what you were talking about. My dealer gave me a phone call when they became aware of the potential problem. Great customer service from Black Creek Outfitters, Jacksonville!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Add a small dab of marine goop, as suggested previously by Tom Kirkman, to keep the pin in place. Cheap, effective, and the pin can still be easily removed if needed without extra work to bend arms, etc. Mine has held up for quite some time now, after it came loose prior to gooping, and I suspect it will continue to do so.