Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parts suppliers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a 16 that is need of everything. Aussie halyard, jib trim kit, etc. I have talked to two suppliers and each time the person on the phone had no idea what I was talking about.
What suppliers have the rest of you used and have had good luck? Who were the contacts there?
Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:39 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Give me a call at the shop or send me an e-mail and I will be sure to take good care of you.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: Parts Suppliers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What suppliers have you tried???

I have had good luck with Midwest Sailing located in Pickney, MI. Some knowledgeable people working there.

Mark Colby
1973 H16
Jackson, MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

John,

I've used Murray's, Boatworks (ask for Rob Jerry) or Key Sailing (ask for Kirk Newkirk).

I'm sure Brad can take care of you as well. These are just the dealers I'm used to working with.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

John,

You going to have this beast ready in time to race at CRAM's Cass Lake regatta? (May 1-2). Fluffy's flying in to crew w/ me since it's the last chance to sail before World's. Be nice to have some decent competition . . .

Talk to you later,

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Matt,
I won't be at Cass lake as one of the kids has a soccer tournament. Isnt it a bummer when the kids take priority over a good chance to sail...ha..

I do have a question on mast rake for you. Bob Merrick wrote a good article on the subject, I got it from the fleet 204 web site. I have a few questions I hope you could answer for me.

1. In the article he talks about measuring the rake using the halyard length differential between the top of the mast and bridle screw and thetop of the mast to the lower corner of the rear transom of the same hull. That dfferential being 16 inches which is as far forward as he goes. He then says that he marks the halyard with a corresponding mark on the mast . I assume he is measuring with the main halyard with the boat up and marking the jib halyard with a corresponding mark on the mast? What is your experience?

2. In light air he talks about adding additional rake to get "two blocked" It seems to me that is the last thing you want to do in the light stuff is add rake.

3. and last question. Upwind in med-heavy do you primarily work the traveler, mainsheet, steer up in the gusts....or yes to all?

Are you comming to Austin lake in July? (I guess it was't the last question)

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

1) Correct - set the boat up (sails up, main NOT sheeted in) and use the main halyard to measure on the windward side. Use the jib halyard to adjust rake and wrap a small piece of duct tape around the jib halyard at the black band on the mast. Note that moving the jib tack up or down on the forestay adjuster will change the setting.

The reason you don't sheet the main in is to keep the CompTip from flexing.

The standard main halyard has black flecks about every inch, so you really don't even need a ruler to do this.

2) It does sound counter-intuitive, but it works. The reason is that you want less leech tension in light air, therefore you can carry more mast rake (and point higher) in the light stuff.

3) Short answer - yes. Depends on the waves. Short, steep chop - you want the power on all the time, so you don't feather in the gusts. You (or more appropriately, the crew) works the traveler. It also depends on the tactical situation. If I'm pinching to make the weather mark, I'll feather to gain distance to weather at the expense of boat speed. You need to be ready to crack the main a little bit when the gust passes to help bear off, though.

3a) It's on the calendar at this point. Megan will be back from camp, so I'll have my minimum weight crew again :D

Post subject: Parts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John,
www.surfcitycatamarans.com Located in Santa Cruz California. Will be Glad to help. Phone is (831) 359-5918. Tell them Johnny O sent you. See you on the water........ :lol: Johnny O