Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is probably one of those "void the warranty" type of issues, but I'll ask anyway:

I am considering adding a Revolution to the stable. While my wife and I already have and enjoy an Oasis, she is not a sailor, and she is a bit uncomfortable with the idea of adding a mast to the kayak. The Revo would be just for me -- with an emphasis on sailing. I need to mention that I live in San Diego county -- known by the local wind-surfing community as "the light-wind capital of the world." This title is well-deserved, as the wind is often very light (windusrfers here often use 10-12 m2 sail to get on plane -- WHEN the wind is blowing). As I look at the Revo and stock (Hobie) 1.9 m2 sail option, I envision myself having some benefit from a bit more sail area. I would not want to stress the hull in the event of a gust, but something in the 2.5-3 m2 realm seems like it might be more reasonable for the conditions encountered in my area (with the caveat that one could reef-in if the wind picked up). I am wondering if other yakkers might have already been down this road? If larger sails were tried, how well did they work? Any sources to purchase?

Thanks for any insights.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have posted several times on this subject matter so worth doing a search on this forum... my response below includes some nautical/sailing terms so if you are not familiar with these you will need to look them up

First tip: If you haven't already used the Hobie sail on a/your kayak I suggest you do so first so that you can appreciate what it can/can't do. You are only going to sail your kayak in light winds - there isn't enough ballast in the boat to support a lot of canvas/strong winds. It may be that the standard sail will be just fine for typical conditions in your area. You may wish to experiment with the standard sail before worrying about adding more canvas. No boat will sail well in near calm conditions but the standard sail does work well in conditions where there is some breeze but not lots of whitecaps on the sea. Adding extra sail area is only viable when there is only a really light & consistent breeze.

Tip 2: if you add more canvas to the stock mast without supporting the mast with stays you will not have a particularly good sailing experience - the mast will bend like a noodle, the sail shape will deform until it is like a potato sack not a foil, & depending upon wind-strength, point of sail, ballast on board and sailor's determination it would be quite possible to deform the mast or even break it. So if you want to add more sail to the standard mast you need stays.

Tip 3: lots of people ask about using the AI sail on the kayak - this will not work (I have one) it is far too heavy for the kayak on its own so don't go there.

Tip 4: The easiest way to add more sail to the standard sail kit is to stay the mast (2 side stays and one forestay) and set a 'flying' jib (as opposed to a hank on jib). You will lose the roller furling capability of the mainsail (though I believe someone has managed to get round this issue) but you will be able to ~ double the sail area and you can quickly and easily drop the jib in extremis. My jib is from a topper sailboat I believe - it is a bit heavier material than the Hobie main but works very very well in the right conditions.

Tip 5: if you ~ double the sail area you will ~ halve the maximum wind speed you can comfortably sail in.

Tip 6: if you stay your mast & set a jib you will end up with an awful lot more complexity - it isn't hard to do, nor is it particularly expensive but you will have a lot of string in your cockpit and a whole lot more to think about, so you need to be well planned, methodical and conservative in your sailing behaviour... but your sailing will become a whole lot more challenging and interesting and you will transform the very-light-wind sailing performance of your boat - plus your boat will feel like a proper yacht, not like a kayak with a sail on a broomstick.

If you want more detail about my set-up PM me - I'd be happy to share ideas & photos if I can dig them out. It is a while since I have sailed in this way because I had a hull replaced and did not reapply the required modifications (minor) to the new hull when I got it. But I have been thinking about setting it up again & will happily share info on the components (running backstays/doubled forestay, jib cleats, downhaul & downhaul cleats, circular jib sheet etc.)

I should also mention that I have an Adventure with the optional daggerboard. IMHO the daggerboard is essential for a bit of extra stability and upwind bite - particularly when sailing with main and jib. I am not 100% certain that you will be able to get the full benefit, particularly upwind, from additional sail area on a boat which doesn't have a daggerboard.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stobbo,

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and detailed reply. I do have some basic sailing experience (USSA Small Boat and Basic Keelboat certs), but I have much more to learn, and I appreciate your kind guidance in the matter. I may take you up on the offer of "picking your brain" for some photos in the future of how you set up your rig. For the present, the Revo purchase is still "on the burner," so I shall not impose upon you for more detailed assistance until/unless I am able to financially make the Revo a reality. It is good to know -- as I give the Revo some serious consideration -- that there are options (e.g. add a Jib) to give the Revo a bit more to sail with in the light local winds.

Thanks again for all the information, and for your generous offer of further assistance. Hopefully, we'll have more to discuss in the not-too-distant future.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a oasis and got the stock sail. Buy a sail and use it on the oasis until you get your revo. I have had a blast using mine in winds from 5 to 25.
You will have a blast and 25 mph winds will make you giggle like a little girl. :-)
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I know this is a very old post. But I am trying to do a very similar thing based on Stobbo’s suggestion here. Could you explain why not attach the jib to the forestry with hanks? Also, what exactly is a flying jib. As you can see I am a novice on sailing concepts and terms. I just successfully rigged an inflatable that does well in string wind. But moves really slow at light wind. Need more sail surface.

Also, any pictures if you have would be of real help.

Thanks,

~ Subir Biswas

stobbo wrote:
I have posted several times on this subject matter so worth doing a search on this forum... my response below includes some nautical/sailing terms so if you are not familiar with these you will need to look them up

First tip: If you haven't already used the Hobie sail on a/your kayak I suggest you do so first so that you can appreciate what it can/can't do. You are only going to sail your kayak in light winds - there isn't enough ballast in the boat to support a lot of canvas/strong winds. It may be that the standard sail will be just fine for typical conditions in your area. You may wish to experiment with the standard sail before worrying about adding more canvas. No boat will sail well in near calm conditions but the standard sail does work well in conditions where there is some breeze but not lots of whitecaps on the sea. Adding extra sail area is only viable when there is only a really light & consistent breeze.

Tip 2: if you add more canvas to the stock mast without supporting the mast with stays you will not have a particularly good sailing experience - the mast will bend like a noodle, the sail shape will deform until it is like a potato sack not a foil, & depending upon wind-strength, point of sail, ballast on board and sailor's determination it would be quite possible to deform the mast or even break it. So if you want to add more sail to the standard mast you need stays.

Tip 3: lots of people ask about using the AI sail on the kayak - this will not work (I have one) it is far too heavy for the kayak on its own so don't go there.

Tip 4: The easiest way to add more sail to the standard sail kit is to stay the mast (2 side stays and one forestay) and set a 'flying' jib (as opposed to a hank on jib). You will lose the roller furling capability of the mainsail (though I believe someone has managed to get round this issue) but you will be able to ~ double the sail area and you can quickly and easily drop the jib in extremis. My jib is from a topper sailboat I believe - it is a bit heavier material than the Hobie main but works very very well in the right conditions.

Tip 5: if you ~ double the sail area you will ~ halve the maximum wind speed you can comfortably sail in.

Tip 6: if you stay your mast & set a jib you will end up with an awful lot more complexity - it isn't hard to do, nor is it particularly expensive but you will have a lot of string in your cockpit and a whole lot more to think about, so you need to be well planned, methodical and conservative in your sailing behaviour... but your sailing will become a whole lot more challenging and interesting and you will transform the very-light-wind sailing performance of your boat - plus your boat will feel like a proper yacht, not like a kayak with a sail on a broomstick.

If you want more detail about my set-up PM me - I'd be happy to share ideas & photos if I can dig them out. It is a while since I have sailed in this way because I had a hull replaced and did not reapply the required modifications (minor) to the new hull when I got it. But I have been thinking about setting it up again & will happily share info on the components (running backstays/doubled forestay, jib cleats, downhaul & downhaul cleats, circular jib sheet etc.)

I should also mention that I have an Adventure with the optional daggerboard. IMHO the daggerboard is essential for a bit of extra stability and upwind bite - particularly when sailing with main and jib. I am not 100% certain that you will be able to get the full benefit, particularly upwind, from additional sail area on a boat which doesn't have a daggerboard.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am brainstorming how to draw from my 5 sailkits to make the iTrek 11 sail. It is inflatable with no mast socket. Two of my sails are small, so you reminded me I could make one into a carefree self tacking jib (google this and flying jib). Two of my sailkits have stays, which I hope to attach to the front and side handles. An unstayed one may need a strap encircling hull.

Besides extra sail area, think about using a boom if not done already. There is a long thread here on "what a difference a boom makes". Also find the radically extensive mast and sail mods by user "fusioneng". I worry that the board type hull may nosedive, so am thinking of raking the mast far back. A windsurfer type sail can do this with the "boom" probably still clearing my head. Otherwise I can relocate my seat way back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yaw_string wrote:
hope to attach to the front and side handles.

Oh rats, the side handles are too far back and kind of inboard. Glue pad rings?