Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I have just installed Sidekicks onto my Pro-angler 14 2011 model and I thought I'd share the outcome.

Firstly the Sidekicks aren't designed for a Pro-angler. The mounted bar is about 20cm (8inches) too short. The Sydney dealer (Sailing Scene, Mona Vale, good people) had his doubts but my dogged determination made it worth it.

The biggest problem is that the tube diameter is 30mm which is a non-standard aluminium tube for Australia, so I bought a 1metre length of 1inch diameter aluminium tube from Bunnings (similar to Home Depot) for under $10, cut two pieces of 150mm off it, split these down the middle so they could be opened up to a bigger diameter and, with a bit of effort and a lot of swearing, slid them over the ends of the tube as a sleeve, so I had 150mm thick tube, 400mm normal tube and 150m thick tube. I then thinned the sleeves with a file until they JUST fitted inside the Hobie tube. I then cut the Hobie tube in half and inserted each thick end into each half of the Hobie tube, resulting in a very strong and stable 1010mm long mounting rail for my Pro-angler. If you follow this idea decide where you're going to mount the tube first as the three holes in the tube must be inside the kayak gunwales, otherwise you can't release the Sidekicks.

The other question about Sidekicks is whether they would contact the water at all, considering how high Pro-anglers sit. Well they just touch the water when in the lowest position, which is fine for a stable PA (I weight 80kg). They sink to just below the surface when I stand with both feet as far onto the starboard gunwale as I can physically achieve, so there's no way this beast is going over when I'm moving all over the place flyfishing or landing a big fish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have never heard of a Pro A with Outriggers. I'm surprised it's not solid as a rock as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You are right. It's very stable, but I want to stand up to fly fish and move my feet about without thinking about balance. This wasn't so much about tipping the PA over, as it was about me not stepping too far and tipping myself in. Certainly no chance of that now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Hobie H bar may have helped with balance. That's a nice extra to have but it's $$$. The leaning post on the Stand and Fish aftermarket products is very nice as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hbar allows you to stand and have a balancing point but you can actually go over fairly easily if you don't have your sea legs or there is a little chop ........ stabilizers can help with that ........... I have a set but I Haven't used them yet ........ mine are the Scotty outriggers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mark,
Do you have photos of the unit modified and installed?? I'd like to see them, and I'm sure others would, as well.
Regards....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Shimanoman

I've uploaded a few into Photobucket. Have a look at these links...

I hope this helps anyone looking at doing this. I trawled through hours of forums etc looking for solutions on installing outriggers/pontoons/stabilisers to my PA (there are LOTS of clever ways), so I'm posting this to save other people's time.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Jbernier on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fixed picture links

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks great, enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I would like to add sidekicks to my PA12 for sailing. Yours look good but Im still not sure how you did it. Im in Sydney also, any chance of taking a closer look? Vin.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice mod!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will not launch my PA14 in any deep water without the outriggers that I made myself.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Markinsydney Nice modification!! Thanks for posting!!
AllElectricPA14 In your photos I see that you have mounted your steering knob on the inside of your ride. How does it work for you? Would you please post a closeup photo of your mod. I am considering copying you and, before I drill, want to make sure I do so correctly. Thanks

Regards.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here’s one idea on outriggers on a Pro Angler 14 using Hobie cat parts https://youtu.be/ltlAl2X45Lk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow. That's an impressive bit of kit.

And I apologise to all the 2013 posters. I had no idea that comments were coming in, and I haven't looked at this forum for many years.

Cheers

Mark