Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wings, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was searching on CL and came across some wings (yellow) for sale:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa/3385282682.html

I know nothing about them (or the seller), but I have read that H-18 wings are hard to find.

Have a great day!

Scott

Post subject: Re: Wings, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks to me like he is selling wing TRAMPS, not wings....
Good spotting though... and thanks for posting.

If anyone is interested in a full and complete set of SX wings, in excellent shape, grey mesh tramps, mounting kit, the works, please contact me - lunnjohn at magma dot ca.

Shipping wings is always a challenge...too long for USPS and UPS. Pick up preferred, or I can deliver within 5 hours of Ottawa ON for gas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a guy in big bear who I think has two pairs of wings. One pair has some cracks on the welds and the other pair does not have cracks.

The good pair was 700 bucks firm, I almost bought them but he would not budge at all on the price, I offered him 650, 675. He kept saying 700$ I ended up buying another pair of wings that had a few cracks on the welds for 300. I took it to a good welder I know and he welded them for 40$. I know the temper is lost but so far the wings have held up just fine. He added a lot of metal to beef up the joints. If they crack again I will have him weld it up again. I de-regulated the weight the wings can carry from 400 to 300lbs just for the hell of it.

If you go to any used cat parts web site you will find this guy in Big Bear, Ca.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a Hobie 18 with wings for sale in St. Louis for $1100 on Craig's list.
When I called, the seller lower the price to $1000.
After looking closely at his photos, I saw what looked like a large cooler mounted in each hull with the lid just above deck level.WOW! :o
The seller confirmed his modification......... :roll:
The boat also looked like it has been moored for a long time.
Basically a floating parts boat with trailer.
The wing appeared good in the photo....
And that what interested me..........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder if there will be a surge of parts due to all the hobie cats destroyed in hurricane Sandy.

has anyone here had any damage due to Sandy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jmecky wrote:
I wonder if there will be a surge of parts due to all the hobie cats destroyed in hurricane Sandy.

Brianct been on yet? Where he keeps is boat in FF CT they were seriously under water. Tons of cats there as well

My H18 was inland and made it thru the storm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian CT and I had a few quick emails...he and his H18 are safe...he pulled the boat off Jennings Beach, and parked it at home. No trees fell on the Hobie or his house (listed in order of importance...)

He also said about half the fleet did NOT remove their boats from the beach....
no pictures of damage in that area, only of the beach houses and the area closest to shore. Horrible....our thoughts are with all those who lost their homes.

Let's hope many Hobie's survived....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jmecky wrote:
I know the temper is lost but so far the wings have held up just fine.

You can anneal (sp) aluminum by basically sooting up the surface with a torch, then burning the soot off. I've never done it, but I've read about it with aluminum body work for autos and aircraft. Do a google search.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

passingwind wrote:
jmecky wrote:

Brianct been on yet? Where he keeps is boat in FF CT they were seriously under water. Tons of cats there as well

My H18 was inland and made it thru the storm

Hi guys, we're fine, thanks for asking. We got blasted pretty good here but not as bad as the folks in New Jersey. It was kind of a strange storm. There was almost no rain to speak of throughout the entire thing, but we did experience 70-80MPH winds and a 9-12' storm surge that carried sea water 1/2 mile inland. As you may have seen, people were kayaking in the streets. I finally got a chance to survey the beach area this past weekend and it would appear the fleet survived in much better shape than I expected. I can't say the same for our beach storage area or sail house, which looks like a junk yard. There are 5' telephone pole line anchors torn out about 1/3 way up each storage "aisle", cinder block anchor tie-downs that were once burried 4' are now completely exposed (Tons of sand has washed away. The lower beach is just gone) and six very large channel bouys are laying up on the beach after breaking off their heavy chains. The small boat racks for kayak, Sunfish, Laser, etc. are in shambles. Thee town is going to have to rebuild everything once the more important issues are addressed. Also, our $5MM newly rebuilt (just reopened!) beach pavillion looks like a total loss.

Thanks again for asking but in the end the above is all just "recreational" stuff. More importantly, there were a few homes completely washed away and I read the other day there were 40 families in town permanently displaced. Obviously, the devastation is much greater in other areas such as New Jersey. Prayers to all who have been affected. Take care.

P.S. Let me know if anybody has an old-style H18 rudder casting. I noticed my friend Matt is going to need one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Guys,

Ya ... New Jersey took a BIG hit !!! All the barrier islands north of "Sandy's Eye at landfall was on the wrong side. I haven't been out to the barrier islands but I have just spent the last two weekends running back and forth from Pennsylvania to my Great Aunt Betty's house in Mystic Islands NJ. "Mystic" is on the mainland just south of Tuckerton NJ and if you go to the end of "Radio Road and look east ... at 1-2 o'clock is Briganteen/AC and at 10-11 o'clock is the southern tip of Long Beach Island (LBI) ... and directly in front is Beach Haven Inlet/Egg Harbor Bay ... 2 miles wide and open to the Atlantic Ocean !!!! "Sandy's storm surge came right on in!!!! Good clean Atlantic Ocean salt water 3-4 ft deep maybe 5 ft !!! So my Aunt's house got 6-9" inside even tho the house sit's 30" above the ground. carpets ... done ... furniture ... done ... washer & dryer ... done ... all walls razor'd at 24" and all drywall/insulation removed ... everything sprayed w/ a 50% bleach/water blend. And we are only starting, we hope to save the kitchen cabinets since they are old enough to be constructed of "real" lumber/wood and all edges where completely sealed w/ varnish when new ... but time will tell ... or else the kitchen will be a complete "gut" also ...

The houses built directly at ground level ... a complete floor to ceiling 'Gut" !!! They are actually sending the electric company around to those ground level houses and removing the meters and "red" tagging those houses ... CONDEMNED!!!! Piles and piles of debris/furniture/mattresses/appliances by the curbs.

Now out on the barrier islands ... add huge amounts of sand as "Mother Nature" tried to move the islands west maybe 100-200 yds w/ the rising sea-level as they have done over the millenniums ... but now we have built roads, houses, boardwalks etc etc in the way ....

It's a mess ...

My cats over on the Chesapeake at RHYC survived Ok ... stashed in among the 35 ft tall pine trees ... w/ only 3-4" of freshly fallen pine needles covering them. And that will make for some soft/comfortable camping next year in among those trees at the regatta's

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Areas in NJ north of the center of circulation saw tidal surges over 8 feet. In Raritan Bay, just west of Sandy Hook, the surge was probably over 10 feet. The damage to beachfront areas from Seaside to Sea Bright is immense, the NJ Bayshore and Staten Island south shore was completely innundated with water and 80+ mph winds that pushed water... and boats, far inland.

The Old Orchard lighthouse off Great Kills harbor in Raritan Bay was completely washed off its foundation and is somewhere on the bottom.

Tidal surge at Perth Amboy, 10 miles from the ocean, was over 8 feet.

NY harbor and the battery saw surges over 8 feet, completely submerging lower manhattan and parts of brooklyn. Subway, vehicle and rail tunnels were substantially flooded along with everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Back to the subject...

Maybe if enough sailor want wings,than Hobie could met that demand and build several dozen sets at a discounted price to support the market. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bill 404 wrote:
Maybe if enough sailor want wings,than Hobie could met that demand and build several dozen sets at a discounted price to support the market. :D

They have done it before, like when they made 10 sets of H-18 hulls in 2010. If you want to know how much coordination it takes, get in touch with Steve Cooley.