Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Owner Advice?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, after a LOT of researching (and searching for used cats, most of which were 70s and 80s vintage!), I finally made a downpayment on a new Getaway. It is supposed to come with wings and on a new galvanized trailer.

So, as experienced owners, what things would you recommend for a new owner to do (or NOT do) before launching? (Add-ons? Mods?)

Thanks much!
Scott

Post subject: Re: New Owner Advice?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not a Getaway owner but I say, just sail it for a while. Have fun and enjoy it as it is already a very well equiped boat for its purpose. I'm not discouraging eventual mods or adds. However if you sail it for a while stock, you will get a feel for what changes will suit you best and also appreciate the mods/adds for the changes they created.

Edit:
I was thinking specifically for add/mods with the above advice then I realized you may also mean general sailing prep. Here are my very quick afterthoughts on that.

-- Get the dealer to help you rig it up for the first time. They should do that with you upon delivery if they are a decent shop. Even if you are comfy with sailboats, there may be tricks and techniques they have learned for the Geteway that they can share.

-- Depending on your comfort level with cats, a cat savvy friend is great for the first sail. I considered myself a pretty experienced mono-hull sailer but I could have used some friendly advice on how to tac a cat differently on my first sail. Especially one with no jib.

-- I comfy lifejacket should always be your first addition. I am a very strong swimmer but I once came out of a daze about 8 feet underwater after being struck on the head by a lobster trap falling off the pile (No, I'm not a lobster fisherman, they just like extra help on the first & last day). Trust me, it's not a pleasant feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you, Murph. Great input!
"Safety first", for sure.
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How many people will you have to raise the mast? One, you need the mast stepper. Two, a simple trailer crank to do the heavy lifting.

Trap lines and probably 2 harnesses in appropriate sizes for likely crew.

Get the spinnaker package up front if you can afford it.

Make sure you have double rollers on the trailer.

Give serious consideration to upgrading the main sheet block to Harken. Harken is standard on the 16 and the Wildcat. It works better and will work flawlessly longer. As a new cat sailor, you are most likely to flip while trying to uncleat the main. The Harken will save you a dunking or two. With experience the standard block is adequate but it will never provide the satisfaction of the flawless performance of a Harken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Getaway pretty well comes with everthing you need to sail except the life jackets. It is a great boat and I have had as much enjoyment sailing it as I had sailing the 14 and 16. I'm 65 and still rig it with my wife. It is a 2 person job. I have the mast stepper but it seems easier to muscle the mast up than take the time with the stepper. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them here

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm learning to sail a Hobie 16, but some of the problems are going to be the same. I'm experienced in dingies, but new to the world of cats.

First thing is speed. Good things and bad things happen really quickly on a cat. They accelerate like a bat out of hell, and things go wrong quickly. I was in irons after blowing a tack, and coming out of irons, I put the pedal to the metal, and almost ran over a navigation marker. Had it going right between the hulls and 20 feet away. And 20 feet on an accelerating cat is not much distance.

Second is tacking is an experience. Mostly bad. Those beautiful tacks I used to do in a mono-hull? No more. Even the guys in the America Cup races seem to blow tacks, although a lot less frequently then I am.

Third is bearing away from a jibe can put your bows underwater. Sort of like a submarine. The end result is a pitchpole. Very dramatic.

Find an experienced cat sailor and get some advice. Then spend time in boat.

Have fun with it. I'm having a blast with mine.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks much for the suggestions. These forums are a great help!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahoy Scott,

I purchased my Getaway in 2003 and have made many add-ons & mods. Take a look at my photos at: http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumb ... =snapfish/

Look at each picture closely, there is an add-on or mod in each photo (some photos are repeats).

What you won't see is my raising the mast single handedly. It can be done without a mast stepper. Although, I do not have the float bob on the top of the mast.

Let me know if you have questions,
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Frank!
"A picture is worth a thousand words"... and a few questions:

1) What does the PVC tube on the trailer hold?
2) I love the mast roller on the aft crossbeam! My goal is to do the same kind of thing but have it 2-3 feet higher for easier manual hoisting... maybe mounted to the trailer somehow...? Would this be feasible? It looks like you use the main halyard for raising and/or stabilizing, right? I think I'm going to opt against traps since the wings seem sufficient... I would like to add some hiking straps under them though for hiking off of the wings.
3) No mast Bob? So, what's your rationale for that? Less weight and increased speed, steadier trailering, no doubt. Have you ever capsized... turtled(!) without it?

... and a few comments:
1) The forestay "crutch" is awesome, too! Without it I know that it could take 2-3 people to get it together under load.
2) The reflective tape on the mast/back of trailer/boat is a great safety feature, both on AND off the water!
3) The pads for the trailer tie downs is a nice mod too.

Thanks for sharing... lots of innovative and useful ideas!
Much appreciated,
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found some innovative "mods" for the Getaway here:
http://steve.skybeach.org/sailing_files/sailing2.htm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Scott,

Let me try to answer your questions....

1) the PVC tubing under the boat attached to the trailer hold extra tiller extensions and the rudder cross bar.

2) as for a rear mast holder connected to the trailer won't work for me. My boat extends 4 feet past the end of the trailer (its a Long trailer).

3) No mast Bob...When I step the mast, I'm lifting about 75lbs. I tried it with the Bob and could not step the mast alone (family not sailors, more land lubers), but I do invite folks from the beach. Understand, I do 90% of my Getaway sailing alone. So I have configured everything for solo stepping and de-stepping.

4) Reflective tape on the mast tip/top is because I trailer my Getaway between Baltimore and Ocean City Maryland, which means driving at night. I want to make sure others see the mast while driving. BTW - since 2003, I have clocked 11,000 miles on the trailer.

5) Pads on the tie downs. I should have put them on the straps from day-one. I did not think of it till I had the boat a few year and strap mark were on the hauls.

Other advice:
a) If your trailer did not come with double rolls I highly recommend getting them. At least for the rear. They are the blue roller in the pictures. I purchased them from Karavan Trailers at $80/set - well worth the money, the boat rolls on and off the trailer with one person (that's me), I no longer need to use a winch to get the boat back on the trailer.

b) If you look close at the pictures you will see that I use quick-release pins w/lanyard. This way I don't have to search for pins in the sand. Note: I do carry extra on the boat.

c) I replaced the two blocks for the jib sheet with one double block. I replaced the main sheet block clip (where it attachs to the main sheet and looks like an "S") with a secure clamp. I always felt the OEM was going to come out.

d) Tiller extension..I replaced the OME right away, it was too short. If you havn't already get a fiberglass one the extends to 96", you won't be sorry. I purchased mine from Murrays Catamaran.

If you have more questions, please ask.

Scott - - where do you sail?

Anyhow, I hope all this helps.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great mods, Frank! I will definitely borrowing a few. Thanks much!
I may consider leaving the Bob off, too, since it looks like the top mast piece is foam filled (and should prevent turtling)... right? Also, I haven't glued the two mast pieces together, and I'm wondering if I can leave it unglued for easier trailering (long piece on mast stand; short piece strapped to boat or trailer cross beams...?

Well, yestereday I picked up the Getaway (in boxes on the new trailer) from my dealer, and it has been going together pretty well. With the tramps on, it is now on the trailer; however, it is sitting very high, which will likely not allow for optimal trailering, launching, retrieving, and rigging.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/156780_10151259488552103_1057148331_n.jpg

I might be able to drop the rollers three inches, but then I will bottom out on the fenders. I don't think this trailer is built for the specs of the Getaway...?For those of you who trailer, shouldn't the hulls ride just outside and slightly below the wheels/fenders?

Thanks for any trailer advice.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We enjoyed our maiden voyage last weekend (sailing around Mission Bay San Diego, CA). Although I still need a bit of practice rigging/unrigging, sailing the Getaway is a blast! Stable, smooth, and speedy enough. Winds were on the light side both days, so I'm guessing the Getaway performs the best in moderate winds...?

Thanks for all the forum advice as I am still "learning the ropes" with this new boat.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It looks from the pictures that you trailer the boat with the rudders on. Is that correct? I would like to do that to save time but worried about possible damage. What has been your experience?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I actually do not trailer with the rudders on as others have recommended... too much bounce/wear. It only takes a few minutes to put them on and take them off.