Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have to remember this thread. Picking up an 84 on Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I say get the basic safety rigging, some good sheeting, new drain plugs and some good 'ole fashioned clean and lube everything. Sail as often as you can ( Time On Boat ) and replace stuff with newer as you get a feel for things.... sticking hardware, rudders not quite right ect. If the hulls and mast don't leak and the hardware is strong, you'll soon know what needs upgrading. I've found that getting on the water and pushing the boat a little harder every chance I get makes me more aware of the whole package. Inspect the boat as you break down after each sail and make notes of little parts, odds and ends that look a little rough or you see yourself losing. After several sails, good fun, conversations with other sailors and a few cold beers you'll be good to go!
I use the stock '81 seaway block setup thats well maintained and it works great as long as the traveler is good. I've invested a lot here at Rooke Sails ( Hobie Dealer ) in Memphis on necessities but, I'f you're gonna replace half the hardware @ new, hobie retail prices it will soon cost more than your boat...very soon. If you're going to spend more than $7-800 in new gear for a 30 year old boat - just get a newer boat.
Tim

PS. A couple big long bungees holding the side stays and trap wires pulling forward towards the front pylons while you're stepping the mast will keep things under control and all the wires from getting trapped/stuck/caught just when you get the mast at half way up!! I use a SS fast clip on my forestay to clip the bridle wires quick too. Mast step in 6 sec, crew snaps to bridle wires and whew... the hard part is done.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I am about to install the new Harken 240 swivel cams that I bought to replace the old originals.

Question: when mounting the new Harkens, should I mount them exactly where the old ones were - basically on top of the "base" that is already riveted to the front crossbar? Note that the old unit sat down in the well of the base, but the 240 is bigger, and so would rest on top of the base.

See the pic below (hopefully).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PmOH9pYaqPVl5OHfcqL16NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Or should I remove the old base, and drill screws into the crossbar for the 240s?

Any help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Remove the little plastic base on the new swivels and it will fit into the existing base.

(Although, for a few extra bucks, I'd replace the base on the crossbar, too. They have a lot of UV exposure = brittle.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Remove the little plastic base on the new swivels and it will fit into the existing base.

(Although, for a few extra bucks, I'd replace the base on the crossbar, too. They have a lot of UV exposure = brittle.)

Thanks! Looks like I should be able to pry off the black plastic base. I'm not sure about replacing the stock bases - they're attached with rivets, and I'm not sure I've got the skill set (much less the tools) to get into drilling out and re-setting rivets...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will need one sooner or later....
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty ... 66422.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jimrude wrote:
- they're attached with rivets, and I'm not sure I've got the skill set (much less the tools) to get into drilling out and re-setting rivets...

Lots of info here on drilling and setting rivets. If you stick with this sport, you will have done about 50 of each by 2015!