Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PA 12 vs PA 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I weigh in at 200lb and stand 5'-11" tall and fish out of the PA12 a lot.
No problems standing up at all. I even pull crab traps using the PA12 and it's fine.

I think the PA12 is super nice when navigating canals and doing dock fishing. Being shorter by ~2' really allows you to manuever nicely and get a perfect approach and position for those docks.

I've never taken it offshore though, the furthest I've been from land is about a mile but I have no doubts it'll do fine several miles out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hallscreek - thank you for sharing this outstanding review. I actually joined this forum just to respond to this thread in that I'm considering a 2014 PA14. I own a OK Trident 13' and absolutely love it, but thinking of upgrading nonetheless.

I do wish they had the better seating or at least seating as good as the new Jackson Big Rig for the PA14, or like you said the PA12 seating. My only semi-holdback/concern at the moment is the Hobie tuckaway rudder, found a few reviews of Hobie veterans stating it was just a poor designed rudder. I would likely have to upgrade after being spoiled to my Tridents custom rudder if I procure a PA14. I built my own custom rudder that looks near identical to the ACK version but much better in terms of strength, weight and materials vs the synthetic version. So I'm confident I could at least mount an aftermarket or build my own on a PA14.

Being a technical guy, I really like the benchmark you did, while non-scientific as you put it, I've yet to find anyone else GPS benchmark both models, so kudos to you sir. I'm leaning toward the 14 vs 12 overall, I guess the weight isn't that big a deal with the dolly. Not interested in trailering it, like my extend a truck setup. Big difference between 120 lbs vs 75 lbs, but imagine it's manageable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hallscreek,
Hobie must have been reading your mind because the new PA 14 has the vantage seat, Lowrance ready, and a flush access hatch to the tackle storage area so the floor is relatively flat.
Katchulater
2013 PA 14