Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a leak and a small crack in the hull about 1 inch long from the plug in front of the Mirage Drive hole. Has anyone had any luck repairing a crack in this location? Is so can you recommend a remedy? Thx

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Time to contact your dealer, for some (hopefully) warranty help!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After having owned a hobie that was replaced under warranty for a similar crack, and having a knowledge of the roto moulding process after working in the trade for some time I am starting to wonder about the Hobie product. I know that the roto moulding process is not an exact science and that problems with hobie products is only a very small percentage, but it is letting the brand and product down. Great design and inovation can only go so far. No other roto mounlded kayak seems to have the problems that Hobie does. The only saving factor is the after sales service and warranty, but some people (me included) are going away from the hobie product.
I loved the Hobie kayak that I had, but I don't think I would buy another.
Wfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee Rippy, that boat's had a hard life. Seized Akas, torn sail, etc. Sounds like the story of my faded old AI. But that leak really carks it.

Explore getting a discounted replacement hull, with the new rudder. You'll be very happy with it, as am I.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Gee Rippy, that boat's had a hard life. Seized Akas, torn sail, etc. Sounds like the story of my faded old AI. But that leak really carks it.

Explore getting a discounted replacement hull, with the new rudder. You'll be very happy with it, as am I.

I guess this is what you get when you buy a antique. I've been thinking about checking with my dealer to see what Hobie has available. My dealer said they are pretty good with repairing these kinds of cracks. I'm taking it by tomorrow to see what they can do.
I'm going fishing this weekend so we'll see how it works out. Thanks for the tips guys.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Update on the cracked hull.

Hobie is sending me a New hull for my AI. It is costing me a lot less than I was expecting.

Thanks for the Great service Hobie!!!!
Wow! now I get the new rudder also. Sweet!!!!!

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:

I did and the new hull is on its way to Texas with the new rudder. What a sweet deal.

HOBIE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie's hulls are a bit more involved than those from other kayak makers precisely because of the Mirage Drive well. There's forces being exerted there that other kayaks aren't subject to.

The thing is, however, that no other kayak can offer the unique ability of the Hobie product. Moving away from Hobie is to totally give up the Mirage Drive and the versatility it offers.

Out of the 5 Hobie kayaks I own, I have had minor issues with two (AI and TI - probably the most involved and difficult to build of the Hobie kayaks) and in any case, all are sea-worthy and doing what none of my other kayaks can do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Hobie's hulls are a bit more involved than those from other kayak makers precisely because of the Mirage Drive well. There's forces being exerted there that other kayaks aren't subject to.

The thing is, however, that no other kayak can offer the unique ability of the Hobie product. Moving away from Hobie is to totally give up the Mirage Drive and the versatility it offers.

Out of the 5 Hobie kayaks I own, I have had minor issues with two (AI and TI - probably the most involved and difficult to build of the Hobie kayaks) and in any case, all are sea-worthy and doing what none of my other kayaks can do.

I know I have traveled and fished in one day a total of approx. 12 miles peddling and paddling my AI in the Adventure only mode (no amas) in the marshes of the Texas coast. In my short kayaking life approx. 1 year I don't think I could have covered that much area with out my arms falling off in any other yak. I own a Tarpon 160 which I have paddled a lot in one day but not near 12 miles. I'm in the process of purchasing my second Hobie, an Outback for standing and site casting using my fly rod for tailing reds. I have some fishing friend that say the Hobie has spoiled me but I thank they're jealous. I do think to Hobie fleet is an awesome design and works great. As long as Hobie stands behind there issues I don't see any reason not to buy them.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Admin

wfish wrote:
I am starting to wonder about the Hobie product. I know that the roto moulding process is not an exact science and that problems with hobie products is only a very small percentage, but it is letting the brand and product down.

If you follow the forums...

You will know that most issues with drive wells have been resolved. We see VERY few failures in boats built in the past number of years. It's getting close to 5-10 years ago that we saw most issues.

It has been getting better for many years. The leading culprit has been the plastic quality, not our design. We had to become trade experts on the material itself. With extensive years of study and testing we now have more control over raw materials being sold to us.

Following the forums, you also would know that drive well issues are handled by extended warranty terms. The standard warranty is two years. Back in 2009 we offered extended terms for drive well related issues. If you have an issue, see your dealer. We are always willing to review a case... old or multiple owners. Just ask.

As noted, the Hobie MirageDrive does put a lot of stress on the hull. More than other manufactures see in a paddle kayak. But, guess what? These other manufacturers see failures as well. What also has to be considered is the shear number of Hobie kayaks out there. More butts in boats means more use.

You are certainly correct though:

wfish wrote:
I know that the roto moulding process is not an exact science

But we have a pretty good handle on it!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
wfish wrote:
I am starting to wonder about the Hobie product. I know that the roto moulding process is not an exact science and that problems with hobie products is only a very small percentage, but it is letting the brand and product down.

If you follow the forums...

You will know that most issues with drive wells have been resolved. We see VERY few failures in boats built in the past number of years. It's getting close to 5-10 years ago that we saw most issues.

It has been getting better for many years. The leading culprit has been the plastic quality, not our design. We had to become trade experts on the material itself. With extensive years of study and testing we now have more control over raw materials being sold to us.

Following the forums, you also would know that drive well issues are handled by extended warranty terms. The standard warranty is two years. Back in 2009 we offered extended terms for drive well related issues. If you have an issue, see your dealer. We are always willing to review a case... old or multiple owners. Just ask.

As noted, the Hobie MirageDrive does put a lot of stress on the hull. More than other manufactures see in a paddle kayak. But, guess what? These other manufacturers see failures as well. What also has to be considered is the shear number of Hobie kayaks out there. More butts in boats means more use.

You are certainly correct though:

wfish wrote:
I know that the roto moulding process is not an exact science

But we have a pretty good handle on it!

Matt, I have no issues with the Hobie products and I think Hobie as gone way beyond my expectations in my case. I never expected such a good deal or any deal on a replacement hull. I certainly appreciate the cooperation by Hobie and I'm a Hobie fan for life. Like I said before I'm in the process of getting a Outback that can stand up and fly fish out of now.
Thanks for all your help and please tell the powers at be with Hobie I truly thank them.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, thanks for the feedback and continued attention to customer satisfaction.

In some cases, like Ripits and mine, Hobie goes the extra mile and builds out a new hull that can accept older Akas and sails. It takes more time and effort, but yields a great product (and a happy customer).

That experience is almost the polar opposite that I would get after purchasing most other products on the market today.

Once again, it appears you folks have earned a well-deserved round of applause.

Mahalo!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

..I've just discovered that I have the dreaded mirage drive well crack (see picture). Now here is the catch: I bought the boat in Germany and now live in Southern Brazil, thousands of kilometers from the nearest Hobie dealer. I think I have to go for the do-it-yourself repair option, going to a dealer seems like a non-option, and I wouldn't expect even from Hobie that they will send me a new hull in this place... So now I am looking for advice on how to repair this one. Any takers??? Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would still contact Hobie and see what they might do. You just never know. I was the third owner of my AI and I never expected them to do anything. They replaced my 4-5 year old hull for about 300.00 plus 75.00 shipping to the dealer. I really think your best bet is to try and work something out with Hobie. My local dealer tried to repair mine with a heat iron and some additional hull material but that area gets some stress and the repair didn't hold. Maybe someone else has had some luck with a repair. I hope so. My new hull works great, I had it out last weekend for the second time. I love the new rudder. Good luck with your issues.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Replacement of the hull would be a yes... delivery to Brazil at our cost... no.

We do have a Brazil distributor setting up though. Once we start shipping product down there, this may be more possible. Alan Freeman [email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)