Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on Hanging Oasis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I have a Mirage Oasis that is about 14ft 6in long and the width of my garage is just under 14ft so I need to make the Oasis as short as possible.

I have removed the rudder pin and the rudder mount. But I don't know how to remove the actual rudder assembly that is tied with 4 lines. Is there an easy way to do this or should I just leave it alone?

Anyway, see photo of where I am at with hanging it in the garage. The second photo shows the disconnected rudder. I would prefer to have it upside down but it was so hard to get it to this stage I want to just leave it. Will my hull buckle in the 5 months it will be stored like this over winter?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any ideas on how to reduce tension on the rudder up/down tension ropes as these are the ones stopping me moving rudder out of the way.

Is there something I can do inside the hull to give me some slack in the line without major changes that I can easily change back in Summer?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is one tight fit! Have you considered cutting an opening in the wall? That may buy you 4 inches or so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How high is your ceiling? Standing it on end might be a better option... if you have room.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's only a 9ft ceiling so I am about 5ft short for standing it on end.

Can't punch a hole through the wall as it connects to the house and my wife might notice :lol:

My main issue is how to easily reduce tension on the rudder up/down lines as that is stopping me moving the rudder assembly out of the way of the wall (see second photo). I found this link for the rudder manual http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf Is there something inside the hull that I could release that would let out some slack in the up/down lines? I just don't want to mess up the rudder settings so I can easily get it back setup next summer. I am nowhere near a dealer so really am DIY on any maintenance for the Hobie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You could knock out the wallboard at both ends without going through into the house which would give you at least 8 more inches of clearance (and your wife might not even notice.... Remember: it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!) Barring that, can you increase the diagonal angle?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

unfortunately, walls here in UK are solid block work.

The photo doesn't show it well but there is a 400mm step in the ceiling height and I am trying to recess the kayak up into that.. The rudder assembly is getting in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

OH! Then, I guess "lack of awareness" and "forgiveness" are probably not meaningful terms in this situation...? :D

Could you hang one end high and one end low, thereby changing the angle vertically rather than diagonally?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried just pulling the rudder pin?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, rudder pin is out and I also unscrewed the main rudder support that attached to the hull (two screws). All that's holding the rudder in place are the tight lines that move rudder up and down.

I will lower it on the weekend and have a good look in the hull at the way the lines are rigged to see if there's anything obvious to reduce tension. If the rudder is out of the way then the hull will fit perfectly into that ceiling recess out of the way...nearly there!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I suggest using PVC tubing to provide longitudinal support. A couple pieces of 25mm or 30mm tubing about 2m long placed in the "grooves" that run the length of your Oasis will help provide support. I use tubing covered with pipe insulation under mine when transporting it on my truck rack.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

either angle it or leave one end lower than the other.

here's a pix of my Oasis hanging: